Renault Warranty Woes. - aahbarnes
Wrote down a list of jobs that needed sorting under warranty for Renault to sort out whilst doing the 35k service. Here is the list:

1. N/S rear pillar interior trim loose, keeps popping off leaving unsightly gap.
2. Rear sunblind snapped again.
3. Leather on drivers seat cracked on outer bolster.
4. Paint around airvent on dash flaking.
5. Other rear sunblind hook keeps bending down.

Unbelievably they've told me none of this is covered by the warranty - they reckon the trim has been pulled, the kids have snapped the sunblind, the leather is normal wear and the paint has been rubbed off the dash when adjusting the vent.

What do the panel thing?
Do I have a vaild claim?

Car is a 54reg Renault Scenic February 2005.

Thanks.
Renault Warranty Woes. - Xileno {P}
These appear to be wear and tear items.
Renault Warranty Woes. - Armitage Shanks {p}
I had a snapped off assenger sun visor replaced under warranty, not cheap as it had a mirror and lights in it ,but no kids involved. One dealer said it wasn't a warranty matter so i took it to another dealer who said that it was. Try another dealer!
Renault Warranty Woes. - R75
These appear to be wear and tear items.

They may well be, and if the car were 5 or 6 years old I might expect to have to do some repairs if it were my car, but on a 54 reg car? I would be pushing for a claim, but have fun, I had to fight beyond belief over a year ago to get them to replace a faulty coil the was under their parts warranty, it did teach me one lesson though, never to buy another Renault!!!
Renault Warranty Woes. - Bill Payer
Going back a few years, I had a problem with broken rear springs on a Clio - the car was 4 yrs old and warranty was only 1 year in those days.
The dealer rolled on floor laughing when I suggested a warranty claim, but I called Renault UK customer services and 15 mins later the dealer called back and said they do it FOC.
Renault Warranty Woes. - Martin Devon
never to buy another Renault!!!

Nor me.

MD
Renault Warranty Woes. - aahbarnes
Been contacted by Renault UK about this now. Apparently trim items only have a 1 year warranty and hence none of this is covered. It seems crazy that you can buy a new car, 13 months later the trims falls apart and none of it is covered.
Renault Warranty Woes. - stunorthants26
Been contacted by Renault UK about this now. Apparently trim items
only have a 1 year warranty and hence none of this
is covered. It seems crazy that you can buy a new
car, 13 months later the trims falls apart and none of
it is covered.

Perhaps but its well documented that this is what you can expect of Renault and their cars - if you didnt want this sort of ownership experience, why sign up for it?
Renault Warranty Woes. - Bill Payer
Been contacted by Renault UK about this now. Apparently trim items
only have a 1 year warranty and hence none of this
is covered. It seems crazy that you can buy a new
car, 13 months later the trims falls apart and none of
it is covered.

Did you buy the car new? You have a remedy under the law if the item isn't as durable as you ought to expect.

Pay for it and then send the bill to the supplying dealer. They'll refuse to pay so issue a claim against them using www.moneyclaim.gov.uk .
Renault Warranty Woes. - R75
I agree with Bill Payer, I only really got anywhere with them when I mentioned the small claims court, they then go into one about their warranty blah, blah, blah, I just reminded them that it no doubt stated on their warranty that "This does not effect your statutory rights" and that was the bit I was now using.
Renault Warranty Woes. - Aprilia
There is enough information out there about what to expect when you buy Renault. Why do people buy them and then complain?
Renault Warranty Woes. - oldpostie
When I had a Renault, it developed a bad first to second change. Unfortunately, the extra 3 year warranty I bought did not cover any repair to this, as "that's only adjustment", and therefore not covered.
Renault did pay my bill for the local garage replacing clutch cable number three, to be fair to them. The car was complete rubbish though.
Renault Warranty Woes. - colin-e
We have an '05 Renault Scenic - and it seems like your list of complaints is minor compared to ours!

So far we have had (under warranty)....

a new automatic gear box
a new electronic dash board
a new drivers seat cover (leather - which split in less than a year)
adjustments to rear brakes (to cure squeaks when reversing - only seems to last for a month, then the problem is back)
two safety recalls for seat belts
a replacement gear selector

Needless to say, the car will go when the three year warranty is up - and it won't be replaced with another Renault!

F1 World Champions they may be, but they should spend more on build quality for the cars they sell!
----------------------------------
Colin-E
----------------------------------
Renault Warranty Woes. - jlo
Hi,

Yes my wifes 54 Renault Scenic 16 petrel has had:

Seatbelt recall
new electronic dash (Miles back to 0, still awaiting letter of confirmation that dash has been changed for when we sell it on)
Coil or somthing burnt out last week which caused it to run on 3 cylinders (However Nice man from AA fixed it there and then)
Blower fan stopped working on position 2

I have to say that our local dealer have been quite efficent at fixing the faults and helpful (apart from the letter but I need to chase that up)

Think I may be buying an extended warrantee after the 3 years is up. Can't afford to change it!!

Apart from that its very practical and drives well.

Cheers

Jlo
Renault Warranty Woes. - Keith S
My Clio has been great - except rattling sunroof.

But the dealers are shocking in my experience. I know all dealers just want to maximise profit but compared to Ford they are much worse. I took them to small claims court - and won - over my Megane.

£189 for a service comprising an oil change and a few bits of inspection!

Next one is £289 for spark plugs and air filter on top.

Just debating whether the servicing cost offsets the benefit of the warranty?
Renault Warranty Woes. - Avant
Sorry if this thread has moved on a bit, but it does raise the question (as have previous threads) - what's up with Renault nowadays? This is clearly not a 'knocking' thread - these are people with genuine complaints about new or newish cars.

Between 1980 and 2001 I had 7 big family Renaults, company-owned, which between them did about 600,000 miles with no major problems and very few minor ones. Only once did I have a car break down on the road. Renault have clearly gone downhill since then - it ought to be possible to find out why.

Mine were all serviced by Cross Roads Garage in Oxfordshire - excellent in every way, including never quibbling about what was and wasn't under warranty. I know there are too many dealers who aren't up to those standards, but do you think manufacturing standards have gone down too?

Now that I buy my own cars, I know I can't have a Renault as - through experiences like those on this thread - they are unpopular in the market and their value drops like a stone as soon as they leave the showroom.

A shame - I was very fond of all seven of mine (plus 2 5s and a Clio that SWMBO had) and every time a thread like this crops up I feel a little sad.
Renault Warranty Woes. - jase1
My theory -- at least to explain it partially -- is the Nissan merger. The pooling of resources seems to have been fraught with problems, which has impacted both companies detrimentally. Bad management if true. Can't be a coincidence that the two companies come together around 2000, and come 2002 both makes' cars have sunk like stones in terms of build quality etc.
I think Renault have actually improved somewhat since the merger with Nissan.

In the 1980's my father and I had a repair 'shop. We had the most dreadful problems with Renault - they were the most troublesome brand we serviced. Lots of fundamental design faults (e.g. on the 25's the clutch flexi hoses blew off because the pressure developed was too high for the fittings). A lot off cooling system problems (wet liners) and electrical problems, broken springs, I could go on.
The end result was that my father refused to service any Renaults (although we would MoT them). The reason was that if you serviced a Renault you could guarantee that something would go wrong with it within the month and the owner would be back shouting..'I paid you to service it and now its broken down etc etc'. By and large you will find that Renaults only sell to people who don't know much about cars and are attracted by the styling etc.
"By and large you will find that Renaults only sell to people who don't know much about cars and are attracted by the styling etc."

In fairness, some of were attected to the fact that if you had 4 children, in the 1980s there wasn't much choice, especially if you wanted to take the family AND its luggage with you. Our third and fourth Renaults were a 21 Savanna followed by an Espace, and although netither was exactly ugly they didn't sell to us on style.
I can't type this evening. Line 3 - should be'attracted'.
Renault Warranty Woes. - jase1
The average 80s Renault was hardly a paragon of styling anyway -- most were either bland or a little awkward. That continued into the 90s -- how can anyone call the previous Megane good looking? -- it's only recently that they've improved.
Renault Warranty Woes. - stunorthants26
The french, much like the italians, are very good at making simple things and I think as cars have grown more complex, their abilities or lack of , have been shown up as they simply cannot make technology work for long periods of time anymore, although its encouraging that Top Gear Mag seem to be having a nice experience with a C6, so maybe Citroen are making an effort.

Its worth noting that the Pug 407, 307 AND 807 features near the bottom of the TG survey - no real suprise there but people buy these cars - will they never learn?
Add to that the Citroen C8, Renault Laguna, Espace and Megane, you start to see a trend.
Mercedes have a couple of cars down at the bottom too, but no suprises it being the old M-Class and A-Class.

What did shock me, but ina nice way, is that Fiat panda coming in at number 8 - great result for Fiat and given how their cars often do, a round of applause me thinks.
Renault Warranty Woes. - oldpostie
I keep passing a large ad on a bus shelter where it offers a Renault Megane for £8995 or so.
That, and the attractive financial offers, attract buyers who don't have much money to put down, and they can get a new car, as I did in 1988. Lots more do, and lots regret it probably.
Renault Warranty Woes. - Xileno {P}
There are changes being implemented by Ghosn that are beginning to yield results. Too late for some owners maybe but changes for the better nonetheless. There is a big crackdown on quality and reliability going on in the company, particular areas of weakness have been the earlier Laguna 2 and Espace, 2000 - 2003 being a dark period IMO.

Take a look at the New Clio or Modus to see what new Renault quality is like. It's really quite good. The Modus (and presumably the Clio although it's a bit too new for much feedback) is getting much better reliability ratings. Not brilliant, but a big step in the right direction. Ghosn has a commitment contract for 2009 and there will be some new models out by then which should give a clearer picture of where the company is heading. Later this year will see the Laguna 3 and next year the Megane 3.

The big test will be the New Laguna. They've got to get this one right first time.

I bought my Renault because...er... don't know. I just like the cars. Always have done. Occasionally they can be like a stoppy teenager, good sometimes, bad others...
Renaults have always been unreliable - believe me. There used to be a large Renault dealership near to where my father had his garage. We used to see a lot of Renaults and took on the odd mechanic who was ex-Renault dealer. I'm going back to late 1960's early '70's here when we were repairing Renault 12's and 16's.
Was I really lucky beyond belief, with my 7 Renaults (referred to above), three of which did over 100,000 miles each?

I think the truth of it is that Renaults, and other French cars, are less able to stand up to abuse by poor driving and poor servicing by dealers - whereas Japanese cars seem to be able to take whatever is thrown at them (provided their makers don't merge with the French!).

Aprilia and others are clearly telling it as it is - but so am I. Maybe we need to make a list of known good Renault dealers, like Cross Roads in Oxfordshire and Theale Motor Works near Reading. I think Xileno goes to a good one near Bath.
Renault Warranty Woes. - DP
My dad bought a used Renault 12 back in the early 80's and it was a very reliable car. Leaked like a sieve in anything more than a light shower, but it always got us about.

I had limited (3 months - 7,000 miles) experience with a brand new Megane 2 1.5 dCi 106 in 2005 and it was a lovely car in many ways. Comfortable, smooth, quiet, good to drive and economical. The materials inside were also of a much better quality than I'd been led to expect. Unfortunately it also had constant electrical problems and the assembly quality was dreadful. Uneven panel gaps, poor paint and misaligned interior trim panels. My two local dealers were completely hopeless, and I say that after 3 years in a Ford!

Cheers
DP