Rust protection on exhaust - Morpheus
Hi folks,

Since I seem to spend my life replacing section after section of the exhaust on my own or my GFs car, is there anything that I can put on it to prevent it rusting through?

I thought about some kind of grease, then I thought about some hammerite paint or something.... any suggestions, or do people not bother with this kind of thing....?

G
Rust protection on exhaust - milkyjoe
they rot from the inside out ,dont waste your money on paint or pattern parts , buy original replacement parts
Rust protection on exhaust - steveo3002
ive tried painting them in the past..it does very little to extend its life

you could look into a stainless steel version that will last a longggggg time
Rust protection on exhaust - piston power
Give the car a good run from time to time to expell moisture but as said they rust faster internally, genuine parts do last longer better quality steel/silencers..
Rust protection on exhaust - madf
I have some experience in this.

What I do is wirebrush to remove all lose rust, apply Kurust by brush to rusty bits, leave to cure and coat with alumium heatproof paint by brush.

Key parts are ALL welded seams/welded joins, welded clamps/brackets etc.

Touch up every second year.

SWMBO's rear box on Peugoet 106 is now 14 years old.

(based on experience with Mini ss exhaust where the non ss parts rusted through...:-(

Cheap non OE parts are fine if you only keep cars for under 3 years.. otherwise the better specs and quality of OE parts win through... they last longer (and often but not always ) work better..

I do NOT attempt this with very badly corroded parts as derusting may just expose very thin good metal to the elements. (Son's 1.1 Fiesta has original cat fitted : it's 14 years old and looks very rusty.. I've just left it and it has lasted his 4 years of ownership so far)

For downpipes and catalysts use VHT paint (very high temperature) .. but imo it's a waste of time as it just burns or flakes off after 6 months usage..

Note : parts routed near rear wheels under rear suspension are very vulnerable.. especially as I say all welded joins... welded destroys the aluminium cover and exposes the bare steel to immediate attack..

Wax is a waste of time: evaporated by heat and risk of fire...

madf
Rust protection on exhaust - Aprilia
Aftermarket exhausts last just beyond their warranty.
OE exhausts last a longer, but costs more - often as much as a stainless steel job from someone like Blueflame or Powerflow.
Rust protection on exhaust - mjm
Aftermarket front box for the Xantia £69. OE box £283. No contest, really in this case.

My wife had a Hillman Avenger which did short trips and about 2k miles/year. the exhaust used to last about 2 years before rotting from the inside.
I prolonged the life of the last replacement by drilling a small (2mm) hole in the boxes at their lowest points where the car was usually parked.
The "leak" was so small that I had no problems with MOT tests.
The quantity of water which used to drip out was considerable.
Rust protection on exhaust - Hamsafar
Ever since I started driving, I seemed to be continually replacing exhaust sections too, and these would last about 15 months and need doing again. Not only was this an expense but a major inconvenience, especially if it caused a MOT failure. My last car had a stainless powerflow one fitted by the previous owner, and it was bliss never to worry about the exhaust. My current car is 5 years old and is still on the original VW/Audi one, maybe this is stainless? If it needs replacing, I will definately get a stainless steel one.
Rust protection on exhaust - yorkiebar
Aftermarket exhausts for me. No real problems at all.

All exhausts (oe or aftermarket canbe from the same supplier too ) rot from the inside out quicker than outside in.

High mileage cars exhausts will outlive shopping trip cars is good proof of this.

Ask any decent motor factor about exhausts and they will be able to offer you 2 qualities. Cheap and cheerful (ideal if selling car) or good quality (like oe spec). But you pay the money and take the choice.
Rust protection on exhaust - Hamsafar
www.calsonic.com/images/ex_grp.gif

Have you noticed though, that the factory exhausts seem to be like the second and third down in the above image, they are a clamshell design with a seam all the way around and feature a rippled casing, whereas aftermarket ones tend to be two oval end plates welded to a can which has a folded seam. I have never managed to get an aftermarket one of the original design, and what's more it seems manufacturers' dealers only sell these for a while and then start selling the usual Bosal, Walker, Timex etc...
Rust protection on exhaust - yorkiebar
I will find out the make I buy for you, they are of the type you describe.

Local dealers buy at least some of their exhausts from the same motor factors as I do (proof not comment) so do you actually buy a "genuine" one if you go there ?
Rust protection on exhaust - Number_Cruncher
Genuine exhausts for me.

I hate working on exhausts, and so, the extra hassle spent in making rubbish aftermarket systems fit properly really winds me up. Having the confidence that the exhaust is going to fit properly, and seal properly is, for me, worth the extra even before you consider how much longer they last.

Most customers of older cars won't pay for good exhausts, but for my own cars, I don't bother with cheap exhausts.

Number_Cruncher
Rust protection on exhaust - madf
>Ashok
Clamshll designs require a deep draw press to produce and therefore a die - a significant investment in tooling plus a reasonable size press.
Aftermarket makers produce in 2 halves coc it's a simple pressing x2 - requires more welding - but this is automated usually so not a big issue..

Key things are packing density and quality of baffles and mineral wool for sound absorption and quality of steel and whether stainless or aluminised..

Like most things in life you get what you pay for but the markups on OE exhausts sold for replacement exhausts market are astronomic... several hundred % iirc. (yes hundred ). The makers have profits pared to the bone on OE supply and OE exhausts last a longish time so it's charge what you can get in the aftermarket.
(I worked in the aftermarket business some years ago)
madf
Rust protection on exhaust - Cliff Pope
This takes me back to years ago when I used to patch up exhausts with bits of baked bean tin and jubilee clips. Then I graduated to endless insertions of cheap sections at a time. Now I have a proper stainless pipe on each car, and have only the rubber hangers to worry about.
Rust protection on exhaust - henry k
. Now I have a proper stainless pipe on each car...

I have always understood that they are noisier than OE.
What is your comment on this?,
Rust protection on exhaust - Cliff Pope
>> . Now I have a proper stainless pipe on each
car...
I have always understood that they are noisier than OE.
What is your comment on this?,

Barely noticeable, unless you are also upgrading to a wider section sports exhaust.
The noisiest pipes in my experience are cheap pattern pipes. Originals are made from much more substantial metal, and deaden the sound more effectively.
Rust protection on exhaust - BrianH2
SS middle baffle started to rattle after 5 years.
Rear baffle started to rattle after 4 years and blew where tail pipe canilevered out.
Lifetime Guarantee, but paid for installations and return postages of failed units.
Signed off inspections every 12 months ..........Am I winning?????

BrianH