Rover 220SDi 1997 Poor Cold Starting - g4ukf
Hi,
Recently purchased this car. Came with new battery and new glow plugs. (3 on this engine). A bit of a clue I think!. Poor cold starting manifest by a lot of cranking and engine then finally starts. Poor cold idle.
I have checked the engine coolant temp sensor removed from car, about 3.3kOhms when in nearly freezing water down to approx 300R in hot water. Checked for heater voltage, none apparent although relay works ok. + 12V present at relay, earths through ECU for correct operation. Wired in bypass switch to earth, cold start still poor with stalling engine. Any ideas/ further checks. Bus will be read on Friday for stored faults.
Rover 220SDi 1997 Poor Cold Starting - Xileno {P}
Do a compression check.
Rover 220SDi 1997 Poor Cold Starting - bbroomlea{P}
>>new glow plugs. (3 on this engine)

There are definately 4, however one is very difficult to access and change (lots of stripping of other things in the way) and as such is usually left. This may be your problem, that you have one old glow plug and 3 new ones.
Rover 220SDi 1997 Poor Cold Starting - Peter D
Sounds like you are sucking in air into the fuel if the car is lfet overnight. Try priming the fuel system for 30 secs to 1 min before staring is she fires up fine then finding the air leak is the only problem, Fuel filter, couplings or prerished feed pipe. Quite common. Regards Peter
Rover 220SDi 1997 Poor Cold Starting - g4ukf
**PROBLEM SOLVED**

Picking up on Petes comment, I realised I had changed the fuel filter a couple of days ago. Tade supplier, unmarked filter. Too much of a coincidence. Fitted 2 decent hose clips to the fuel pipes at the filter, pipe looked ok. Still poor starting. I think that the thing that always concerned me was the difficulty of obtaining a decent flow of fuel from the bleed screw on top of the filter. (the outlet pipe is higher than the bleed screw).
With the system properly bled, started first time. Left overnight, poor starting. again. Took the plunge Sat PM and purchased another filter, this time from Halfords, not my usual trade supplier. On bleeding the system, it was noticeably that a solid flow of fuel was obtained from the filter bleed screw. Left overnight, started first time this morning.
Re the No.4 glowplug, on this engine you see the casting on the behind the fuel pump has a provision for a glowplug but it has not been machined out.