category D vehicle - inkuz
I'm about to buy a car that is a cat D write off. The damage is merely cosmetic and hardly noticeable. Please let me know if this can be insured and be on the road as it is? Or must the damage be repaired? How can I remove the vehicle from the Cat D classification?
category D vehicle - Collos25
You cannot remove from a Cat D status it will be stamped on the new log book are you sure you have seen all the damage .Cat D's are notoriuosly diificult to sell on and some insurance companies will not touch them others take a higher premium but you must declare it when you make the proposal.
category D vehicle - inkuz
Thanks for your quick and concise response. That was very helpful.
category D vehicle - dieselhead
Personally not had a problem insuring cat d's but I do know some companies won't cover them. The vehicle's V5 document will not be marked, might be for cat c which require an identity check . No problems selling them on if you bear in mind they are worth 20- 30% less than an undamaged vehicle.
category D vehicle - vwgolfmaz
a mate of mine had a cat d, insurance didnt pay out when making a claim coz he didnt tell him it was a cat d, hoping he would save insurance cost. i do know there hard and expensive to insure, there hard to sell, alot of people wont touch them. you cant take the cat d stamp of the log book, its there for a reason. It depends how cheap you get the car, sometimes its a way to get a bargain...
category D vehicle - bell boy
old wifes tails that need to be clarified

A cat d does not appear on the v5c log book
A cat d may have no damage at all bar a moaning customer that the insurance company want rid of and a scratch on the n/s wing
You do not need to inform your insurance company at proposal (they know anyway)
You can indeed get a cat d at less than retail but only if the trader/ private man is honest and declares it .........(most dont until pushed)
If in doubt do your own hpi and not one done by the trader/private man the day before its listed on the HPI hitlist (easily done by the way)
A cat d can get you a good car at a lot less than retail if you keep your head on
category D vehicle - defender
I dont know why everyone is so wary of a cat D car ,at least its honest and telling you what you are getting ,there are thousands of cars had much worse damage than most cat D cars but they are worth more so they are economica;l to repair.
It goes without saying that cat A orB should be crushed and most are but a cat D for a cheap runabout as long as it has been safely repaired does no harm
category D vehicle - dieselhead
Agree with what oldman there is much miss information around about cat d .i have a logbook for a cat d in front of me and it's not marked in any way . Public get confused between economic write off's and write off's that are not fit to be repaired rubbish, cut n shut's etc.
Throw in a the odd new wing, bumper, paint, prof labour and a few days of car hire soon up to 60% of a cars value cut off even when the damage is only minor cosmetic panel damage.
category D vehicle - martint123
I've been running a cat D for the last five years. It's old but was half the going price when I got it.
Price up a colour matched front bumper/nose cone and you don't get much change from a grand. Bit of filler, some patience and it looks like new.
Likewise - nothing at all in the log book, told the insurance, they couldn't care less as long as they get your premium - didn't weight it in any way.
A Cat D shouldn't have any structural damage - that's what cat C and above are for.

Martin
category D vehicle - The Gingerous One
I am running a cat D car as well, it's not finished, it looks what it is (had a minor front ender) but was cheap for a 4 year old family saloon at £2k with 16k miles (and minor front/side damage). on-going project (one day I'll finish it), car is fine and does the job well.

and cat D isn't as bad as the cars that have been in crashes but aren't recorded and then are sold....I think I'd rather know that it's been in a crash and pay the 30% less.
category D vehicle - Collos25
I looking at a cat D Log book at this moment.
category D vehicle - glowplug
My wife runs my old 405TD that was Cat D'd (?) after a minor rear shunt. No problems with her insurance company, just had to take it to VOSA for a Vehicle Identity Check in Doncaster.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
category D vehicle - martint123
That would be a cat C glowplug - D doesn't need the VIC.