Best Prices For New Tyres - TheGrocer
I just have to tell you about the huge saving I have made today on 4 new tyres for my MB E320.
Having shopped around for price quotes at all of the regular tyre dealers the typical price for a Michilin Primacy Pilot HP size 245/45 R17 was a huge £180 plus £20 for balancing, valve etc

So thats £800 for the 4 high quality Michilins that offer quiet road noise and very long service (40,000 miles out of mine and they are just still legal) Now here comes the good bit....

Having asked the back room where I should buy my tyres several of you recommended COSTCO as they now have a tyre fitting service. I went off to Costco at Lakeside today and checked the prices for my 4 tyres which came in at £118 each including balance, fit and valve!!!! Thats a saving of £326!!!

Its due to a great sale they have on at the moment which is 20% off any set of 4 Michilin and its running until Feb 17th. The downside is that you have to pay £29 to join Costco but hey Im quids in....

So thanks backroomers for the advice and if you need tyres get down to Costco.

Question How much profit are these tyre fitting companies making??? Too much
--
\"Eagles may fly in formation but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines\"
Best Prices For New Tyres - midlifecrisis
How easy is it to get membership if you don't have a business. (I've read the 'rules' ,!!)
Best Prices For New Tyres - daveyjp
"How much profit are these tyre fitting companies making??? Too much"

Tyre fitting companies only fit tyres so have a limited operation on which to make profits, Costco sell thousands of other products which all add to their profit.

When Tesco or Asda start selling tyres Costco will be considered expensive.
Best Prices For New Tyres - touristboy
Need a new pair of front tyre myself and got my rears at costco last year, michelin energys.

Question is, is i advisable to get the same make on the front or does it not really matter?
Best Prices For New Tyres - daveyjp
it's never bothered me. I've got Michelins on the back and Vredesteins on the front. When I had the A2 I couldn't get the Dunlops as fitted from new from anyone so I had no choice than to fit an alternative. I once had 4 Michelins fitted to a Focus, all were the same type. It was only after they were fitted I noticed one of them had a different tread pattern - three were from old stock and one from a delivery the day I had them fitted.
Best Prices For New Tyres - quizman
>>>Question is, is i advisable to get the same make on the front or does it not really matter?

I always have all 4 tyres the same make, I swop fronts to rear after 12000 miles so that I can get a new set. Also when Costco have the 20% offer on 4 tyres I get one nearly free.

Some people say that it does not matter if different makes are fitted, perhaps they are right, but would you put on an odd pair of shoes on your feet?
Best Prices For New Tyres - Bill Payer
How easy is it to get membership if you don't have a business. (I've read the 'rules' ,!!)

You (or partner) would have to be a member of certain 'professional' groups - like the NHS, Civil Service, maybe local authority, Police etc. I think certain trade union membership is OK. Maybe best to ring and ask.

I joined in my company name but it was in our *very* early days - all I had was a couple of dodgy looking invoices, printed on our home printer, for stuff I'd bought on line in the company name (but anyone could make up a company name for an online purchase) and proof of home address, and they seemed more than happy to accept those.
Best Prices For New Tyres - cheddar
www.falkentyres.co.uk/product.asp?numRecordPositio...6

Under £90 in your size and superb tyres!
Best Prices For New Tyres - GroovyMucker
Why "superb"? Are they better than Michelins in some way? How do they compare with Vredestein?

Why "superb"? Are they better than Michelins in some way? How
do they compare with Vredestein?

Google FK452, various reviews on the net, made in Japan, I bought them in 205/50-17 93W for £76 fitted when Bridgestone RE040 205/50-17 89Vs were £100, Contis etc even more.
Best Prices For New Tyres - Chris M
Good deal - £166.49 at Blackcircles!
Best Prices For New Tyres - defender
interesting to see prices quoted here,I was in costco on monday and got some tyre prices which were no better than my local tyre man for the same tyres .this was taking in to account the 20% discount,I do look at all the online sales mentioned on this and other sites and am amazed at the variation in prices and that the dearer ones get sales
perhaps we should form an online H J buyers group for even better prices ,happy bargain hunting
TheGrocer: Did Costco do a good job of changing the tyres? Correct length valves, sticky weights, no alloy damage etc? I've heard mixed reports about the quality of their work.
Best Prices For New Tyres - LeePower
Im trying to understand why anyone would fit a Michelin Pilot Primacy now the new & much better Primacy HP is on the scene?
Best Prices For New Tyres - quizman
Im trying to understand why anyone would fit a Michelin Pilot
Primacy now the new & much better Primacy HP is on
the scene?

Because they don't do HP's in 15" sizes.

I bought HP's from Costco for my son's SLK, they were 16".
Best Prices For New Tyres - Roger Jones
In response to Bill Payer, I've hesitated to report my recent experience for fear of naming and shaming, but here goes. Costco gave me a great price and lousy fitting:

* Wrong torque on job sheet, and resistance to putting it right, but I insisted that they checked, and they admitted that they were wrong. Wrong? Only 36% too high, that's all.

* Wrong pressures.

* My metal valve caps were dumped and replaced by nasty bright-green plastic ones.

* Wrong old tyre transferred to the spare wheel. Fitter resisted change, in spite of the correct tyre being marked on the job sheet. I had inspected all the tyres to choose the best one, and he had picked one of the Nokians with cracks right around the tyre in the tread channels.

* Wheels delivered pristine came out filthy.

If I buy there again, I'll pay extra for fitting elsewhere, and will probably still come out with the cheapest deal. (I live in deleted.)
Costco do say that they have membership rules but my experience as a non business owner ios that they just want to see a utility bill and payslip. Thats all I did and they took my money quite hapilly.

I havent had the tyres fitted yet as they are on order. Thanks for the comments about the fitters I will watch this closely. ( Which Costco was it Roger?)

All respect to Cheddar but I have tried unbranded cheaper tyres and I have found that Michillins work best over 40,000 miles for both economy, road noise and safety.

Yes Costco do buy in Bulk but nothing compared to the large national tyre chains so why are they so much cheaper? Profiteering perhaps??

Thanks again for all your feedback.

--
All respect to Cheddar but I have tried unbranded cheaper tyres
and I have found that Michillins work best >>

Who says anything about unbranded!!!

Falken are a major name in tyres, on a par with the best in respect of technology credentials, however they dont have the exposure on our little island that they do in much of the rest of the world including much of Europe hence they can be found here at competitive prices because they are not supporting million $ advertising.
Best Prices For New Tyres - Quinny100
I've had loads of tyres from Costco and on some occasions they have got the pressures a couple of PSI out, (however Michelin quote a slightly lower pressure than is quoted in the Ford manual) and they do tend to splash the rim sealant about a bit but they are offering a cheap and cheerful service and I'm more than capable of cleaning the wheels and adjusting the pressures myself. My alloys have metal valve stems and they always leave them alone, if I had special caps I would remove them myself beforehand.

They have decent mounting gear which doesn't touch the rim and good wheel balance machines, so the important bits are right. I've never known them damage a wheel. The service is as good as any of the big tyre fitting chains in my experience.

If the alloy wheel has no rim they will use stick on weights, if there is a rim they will use rim weights unless you ask for stick ons.
Best Prices For New Tyres - drbe
>> and its running until Feb 17th. The downside is that you
have to pay £29 to join Costco but hey Im quids
in....
So thanks backroomers for the advice and if you need tyres
get down to Costco.

So - let us into the secret. how do you join Costco?

Every time I look at their site, I have to be a civil servant or something equally obscure. How do you do it?
Best Prices For New Tyres - drbe
Sorry. I see that a couple of people have already asked that question.
Hi drbe...Bluff It
Just go in with your payslip/ utility bill and company ID (if you have one). Present your details at the customer service desk and when they say " Who do you work for" tell them who it is and smile ...if they say "thats not one of the listed companies" just say " I came in last week and was told it would be allright....I also want to spend a lot of money on 4 tyres so please can I please join...Guess what... they let you join cos they really hate turning away business. I think the joining rules are just some type of US or UK rule they are meant to oblige by but the reality is they want your money and membership. Try It.
--
Best Prices For New Tyres - defender
actually it costs only £20+vat to join ,application form here www.costco.co.uk/Membership_home/Trade_memship/ima...f
actually it costs only £20+vat to join ,application form here

That's the trade membership price, individual membership is a little dearer.

I don't know why they insist on membership, and I've never heard anything but positive reports about Costco's customer service and after-sales support, but being a member of a 'club' or being a trade buyer does impact your consumer rights.
I came unstuck with this at Makro where something failed just outside warranty and they couldn't be budged on repairing / replacing it.