Chaos tomorrow morning - Nsar
Set your alarms an hour early to allow for the combination of local authorities who do nothing to prepare and drivers who go into a panic at the sight of a snowflake.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6338151.stm

Chaos tomorrow morning - Altea Ego
Well if the LA do as well as they did with the last snow fall last month I shall appluad them again.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Chaos tomorrow morning - DP
"Special trains will de-ice the tracks and spray anti-freeze on them, and heaters will stop points from freezing. "

Unless London Underground decide not to deploy them again, as they did with the snow flurries a few weeks back. The result was only two lines operating a normal service throughout the morning rush hour.

I agree with TVM on the roads - the preparations were excellent, I think the LA's are still smarting from getting caught with their pants down last year. If only the public transport operators had the same sense of pride (or embarrassment) we might be getting somewhere.

Thankfully I am not going into the office tomorrow anyway, but I have sympathies in advance for those who are.

Cheers
DP

The LA's had been warned back in October that we were going ot have a heavy winter. They stockpiled salt and made plans for the coming of the ice age.

5 months of unseasonal +10c have made them trigger happy, with a *lot* of salt to get rid off, and a willingness to get it on the road and rack up the overnight tripple overtime.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Chaos tomorrow morning - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have to drive 10 miles to Stamford Lincs railway station tomorrow and catch a train to Birmingham for a theatre matinee. I don't fancy my chances for a trouble free journey both ways! That said, a lot of the terminology used by the forecasters and newsreaders is very emotive and doesn't help. If the temperature is minus 5 it hasn't 'plunged' or 'plummeted' - it has just got a bit below zero. An inch of snow isn't "Uk gripped by Arctic blizzrds" it is just an inch or two of snow. All the OTT terminology just gives the LAs an excuse for not coping. I hope they do well for all our sakes!
Chaos tomorrow morning - local yokel
There seems to be a fairly high number of M-way/trunk road accidents reported on R2 this morning, possibly caused by the cold/fog combination. Down to -8C here in darkest S Oxon, though roads were well gritted in advance, and the day had been dry, so little chance of much ice.

Tomorrow may be fun.
AS

I shall be in Stamford overnight! as for plummeted? well on my way to Warwick today I started out scraping the car this morning and it was -5, on the way in freezing fog spots it dropped to -7

that in my book is more than pluging, or plummeting. Its really really cold!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Chaos tomorrow morning - Armitage Shanks {p}
I won't quote a dictionary at anybody but plunge or plummet implies a large and sudden drop in something, temperature or a body falling off a cliff for example. TVM, be in the bar of the George at Stamford at 1930 and I will buy you a beer! Be there or be square!
Chaos tomorrow morning - Micky
It's a bit brisk!

www.winter1947.co.uk/

click on WWW Links/Photos

The 1947 winter was a real hammer blow to the UK economy just starting to recover after WW2.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Group B

I like this one: clearing snow with a jet engine..

snipurl.com/19pwn
Chaos tomorrow morning - mfarrow
"Special trains will de-ice the tracks and spray anti-freeze on them,
and heaters will stop points from freezing. "

I wouldn't count on the last point if I were you (no pun intended).

--------------
Mike Farrow
Chaos tomorrow morning - geoff1248
As a northerner I do feel sooooo sorry for you southerners!!!
Chaos tomorrow morning - Ian (Cape Town)

>>

As a REAL southerner, i feel soooooooo sorry for you northerners.

32 today. 24 tomorrow. Damn, where's my gloves?

(Damn again! showers on Sunday! And I'm supposed to be at SA v pakisatn cricket!)
Chaos tomorrow morning - eProf
32 today. 24 tomorrow. Damn, where's my gloves?

(Damn again! showers on Sunday! And I'm supposed to be at
SA v pakisatn cricket!)

Give SA a cheer from me!

How do you know it's summer in Cape Town? The rain's warmer!

(Old Vaalie saying)

Mooi ry!

--
e Prof
Chaos tomorrow morning - Lud
At least you can make a shirt last more than three hours up here, Jaaapies...
Chaos tomorrow morning - henry k

>>
I think that is needed as IMO we have vast numbers of drivers drivers who have not driven in snow apart from one day last month. I suggest they have no idea how the conditions affect braking, steering etc and many will be finding out the hard way.
I will stay out of the way until it goes away.
Chaos tomorrow morning - moonshine

Well I'm with TVM on this one, my LA have taken it in their stride the last couple of years and our roads have been very well gritted (including most back roads). They seem to be ahead of the game with the predicted snow, all of our roads already have a layer of fresh grit and tonight on my short drive home I saw two gritting lorries.

The problem will be the increased number of cars on the road and poor driving rather than the snow itself. I'm leaving an hour early tomorrow to avoid the aggro.
Chaos tomorrow morning - spikeyhead {p}
I'm working from home

Happy me, but I'll be thinking of you all
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Chaos tomorrow morning - mss1tw
When is it actually due to snow? Overnight or in the morning?
Since I have a cold, am recovering from an operation and work freelance, I will think of you all skating about in the pre-dawn brassmonkeytrimmer as I wonder whether to get up at 10 or so for some coffee, scrambled eggs and carp opinionforming along with the day's tabloid data... Be careful out there. Smirk.
You do that - I'll be walking the whole 1.5 miles to work, enjoying the crisp morning air and the way frost makes everything look nice!
Chaos tomorrow morning - Stuartli
Merseyside and Lancashire roads were gritted at teatime on Tuesday evening because a sharp frost was forecast - it fell to around -4 to -5 degrees but didn't seem particularly cold.

Last night it was several degrees warmed yet felt colder, thanks to the damp air.

As Nsar states, enjoy the really crisp air...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Chaos tomorrow morning - Pugugly {P}
Well prepared for tomorrow. Plenty of whole milk and Camp coffee, I've bought my Laptop home, have a work mobile and Blackberry. Also have a wide screen telly, a good book, some logs to chop and loads of food so all in all a perfect carless day planned.....oh and the Landie is on its winter wheels.
oh and the Landie is on its winter
wheels.

With a small charcoal brazier glowing in the passenger footwell PU?
Oh yes.
Chaos tomorrow morning - AlastairW
>>You do that - I'll be walking the whole 1.5 miles to work.

Wuss. I walk 2.5 miles to work. With snow on the ground it will be quicker walking than driving!
I was being ironic (I think) I don't think 1.5 miles is very far at all!
Chaos tomorrow morning - component part
Got a 58 mile commute from Peterborough to Northampton via A605, A14 J13-J2, A508...could be interesting. Working from home is not a facility available to me :-(

I used to work about 2-3 miles from my house-I never walked, but it was an option if I needed to-you don't know what you've got until you haven't got it anymore.

That said, my normal commute will feel like a lie in compared to the Peterborough to Edmonton for 9am I've been doing the last three days-is the A1 South always stop start from 9/8/7 to 3 ish?? Hell....
Chaos tomorrow morning - David Horn
No flippin' snow in Leeds - as usual! Agree with the comments re: inexperienced drivers. Our local roads haven't been gritted thoroughly and are icy (partly my fault after I washed the bike last night with a hose - oops), but a lot of cars (and yes, it's our old friends the mini-cab drivers), are driving just as fast as usual; watched one go down the street this morning and had it not been for ABS he'd have taken out half the cars parked.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Waino
Is it snowing in the SW yet? Reports suggest that it's going to start there and make its way over to E Anglia overnight. Cheers
Chaos tomorrow morning - Westpig
in the last decent batch of snow we had in North London.....(must have been about 4 or 5 years ago) i walked my old dog up to the park, because the thing loved the snow.

as i walked up to the park I walked past a big queue of traffic..........and the same people were there 40 mins later when i came back

a mate worked from offices in Central London (Wandsworth).......and he reckoned one of his chaps left early about 3pm ish and tried driving from Wandsworth to somewhere miles up the M11in Cambridgeshire... and he rang in at 0800 the following morning saying he hadn't got home yet!

how on earth do the Swedes and Norwegians manage it when we're so pathetic
Chaos tomorrow morning - R75
Well if the snow manages to get this far south then I might have to take the day off - not that getting into work would be a problem as it very rarely snows in the hall way between the bedroom and my office ;o) but have promised my 4yr old daughter we will go out and play. Now remind me again of the benefits of running your own business from home ;o)
Chaos tomorrow morning - PhilW
Well, I know little about weather forecasting, but to me it looks like it is stalling over the west country. Leading edge of the rain/snow has taken 6 hours to get from Lands End to Taunton(ish). If it moves at a similar rate overnight, by the time it gets to London/Midlands it will be warm enough for it to fall as rain since it will be mid morning (ish).
Of course I could be totally wrong, but have a look and have a guess (forecast) for yourselves.

www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

I sometimes wonder whether that "no hurricane" forecast in 1987 by Michael Fish has lead to all weather forecasts being greatly exaggerated. Case in point was last snowfall which apparently led to few teachers being able to get to schools in Tonbridge area so they were closed. BBC showed happy pupils tobogganning on grass to illustrate the huge snowfall in the area along with motorways with the occasional sprinkle of the white stuff

--
Phil
Chaos tomorrow morning - PhilW
"Of course I could be totally wrong"

And I am sure that you won't hesitate in telling me so when I am proved wrong!
--
Phil
Chaos tomorrow morning - local yokel
Looks like Herts and NW Essex is catching a bit right now. M25 by S Mimms M 11 should be fun - ISTR the M11 getting caught out a few years back?
Chaos tomorrow morning - Red Baron
Nope, no chaos for me at all. My 30 mile commute from near the M1 to near Birmingham airport.

Took me the usual 35 minutes and I got to work for 7.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Xileno {P}
Very little here in Bath area. Bit slippery getting out of the village as the road is a hill but once on the level and on the main road no problem at all. Roads just wet. Bit disappointing though, I was hoping to get my toboggan out. Quite funny to see the cats go out, the kitten hasn't seen snow before.
Chaos tomorrow morning - L'escargot
I sometimes wonder whether that "no hurricane" forecast in 1987 by
Michael Fish has lead to all weather forecasts being greatly exaggerated.

That was 20 years ago. Weather forecasting technology has advanced considerably since then.
--
L\'escargot.
Had a very disappointing half inch of snow when I left Nottingham this morning. Here at work in Chesterfield though theres 1.5 inches in our office car park and snowing quite heavy, but the main roads are slushy. Bring it on! I love the stuff.

Bit concerned about my girlfriend in her MX-5, and wish I'd bought a bag of gravel to put in her boot. Knowing Nottingham though it will be raining before lunch time.

;o)
Chaos tomorrow morning - Stuartli
Terry Wogan has just read out a message from a listener who stated he had got up ready dressed, grabbed a sandwich and a drink and arrived at work just in time.

He then switched on his computer to send the message to Terry.

The listener also added that there are real benefits in working from home...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Chaos tomorrow morning - madf
Minimal snow in N Staffs. Does not stop the Crewe-Stoke railway line being closed and passengers being bussed.

Green policy? Integrated Transport Policy?
No chance....
madf
Chaos tomorrow morning - Nickdm
Notice no postings from anyone in the south-east yet today?! I hear there's been 2 huge inches...!
North London.......approx 2.5 - 3 inches. Side roads treacherous, main roads not coping very well..... but ..... amazingly........most people don't seem to be driving........roads fairly empty......snow coming down like a good one though, so worse to come.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Dalglish
.......most people don't seem to be driving......

because most schools (all these are state schools) are closed, the school run is not happening today. my neighbours children go to primary and secondary schools just off the main roads ( a bit slushy but open) here in surrey and their schools are shut - the chilren are out playing in the snow.

however indepepndent schools are open and some parents (like myself) had to get up at 6 in the morning to clear 3 inches of snow from the car, and drive through untreated roads to get to a school 15 miles away located miles away from main roads. the school was open at 7 am (as confirmed on its web site) and all the teachers have got in and most pupils have got there too. motivation, that is what people need to get around the exortation by the authorities who continually advise "do not travel unless your journey is absolutely necessary" !

"> motivation<"

I concur, these state types need a good kick up the rear end, they really should buck their ideas up.

And as for those poor children who will have to spend the day playing in the snow, it will be awful for them. They should be stuck in classrooms, and possibly thrashed should the need arise.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Dalglish
micky :

gotcha. hook,line,sinker.
">gotcha. hook,line,sinker.<"

In what way? I'm merely supporting the God-given righteousness of the independent school system and all who sail in her, your epic account of tackling the snow-ridden roads of wherever-it-is should be preserved in the annals of posteriority.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Dynamic Dave
Notice no postings from anyone in the south-east yet today?! I hear there's been 2 huge inches...!

No probs for me. Took the usual 20 mins to do my 6 mile commute to work. Also gave the ESP a testing a couple of times - whoops!

ps, 4 to 5 inches of snow in places.
Chaos tomorrow morning - stevied
Madf, I work in Crewe (or thereabouts) and there is indeed minimal snow... in my experience the weather is usually worse, or rather has more effect, in Stoke as Stoke has hills and Cheshire doesn't.... but even allowing for that, I cannot believe they've closed the railway!

How would we cope if we had New England weather here in Olde England? Why are we so pathetic? And why are we surprised EVERY year? In fact, never mind New England, how about Central Europe? They don't grind to a halt every year. I've worked at the Geneva show many times, and it's just considered normal to snow. Or rain. Or be windy. Or not. They cope whatever. Why are we so hopeless? : (
Chaos tomorrow morning - Big Bad Dave
Foul weather in Warsaw today, awful horizontal ice/snow driven by a cold wind that really hurts when it hits the face.

Nothing gritted again of course.

I hit the brakes every now and again (if it's clear behind) just to see how much grip I've got. Then you're not caught out as you approach a queue of traffic. Every road is different, combinations of packed snow, fresh snow and ice all make huge differences. I'm usually surprised either by the amazing level of grip available or the total lack of it.
i'm going to stick up for Blighty a little bit........our tyres are carp for driving in snow and because we don't get that much in reality we don't change over to winter tyres.........hence a little bit of snow causes chaos

but then back to reality

in the last 20 mins i've seen the following

- total doom brain overtook two cars through all the slush on the main road, because they were sticking to about 15 mph (which is more than reasonable in my opinion), his snaking acceleration gave no confidence at all
- Merc coupe just done a lovely little 180 as she drove into the entrance to an industrial estate to turn around
- on way to paper shop helped to push a Corsa van out of a parking space cos the local plumber couldn't get it out
- industrial esate now has two chaps in reflective jackets stopping traffic on the main road to allow traffic out of the estate as they need a 'run' to get out

and now SWMBO informs me no satellite signal on Sky........Good God does that mean i'll have to talk to her now
Chaos tomorrow morning - Vincent de Marco
I presume you've got the winter tyres on ? If not, then...
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western economy.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Mookfish
They cope whatever. Why are we so hopeless? : (

Because too many people in this country think the roads should be altered to suit their driving not the other way round. If they skid off the road at a corner was it because they were going too fast, or braking too heavily, no it's because the council didn't grit the road.

The mentality of some people probably means they expect the council to vacuum up fog so they don't have to slow down.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Dipstick
That's a fantastic idea. I wish I'd thought of it!

East Midlands - 10am - Armitage Shanks {p}
Drove to Oakham station to catch train to Birmingham. Drive OK but when I went to buy my ticket I was warned that there was no guarantee of a return trip so I chickened out, despite having a £25 non-refundable theatre ticket. Drive back home was OK but not as easy as an hour earlier. With Birmingham schools shut is seems like a good decision - I hope!
Mid Devon - Round The Bend
Nothing here, other than heavy overnight rain. Kids very unhappy.
">Weather forecasting technology has advanced considerably since then.<"

But the accuracy hasn't. For the UK, the forecast is usually 66% accurate, The statement "we will have the same weather tomorrow as we had today" is 66% accurate.

Compare and contrast UKweather and the BBC website, they cannot both correct, and they frequently aren't.
Chaos tomorrow morning - drbe
That was 20 years ago. Weather forecasting technology has advanced
considerably since then.
--
L\'escargot.

The point is (was) that Michael Fish got it TOTALLY wrong - other forecasters got it right!

He said that they (the other forecasters) were wrong.
Chaos tomorrow morning - mfarrow
The point is (was) that Michael Fish got it TOTALLY wrong
- other forecasters got it right!

We don't get hurricanes in this country. He predicted high winds that turned out to be severe gales, yes, but we didn't see a hurricane.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Chaos tomorrow morning - R75
Well there was about 1" of snow this morning, but I think we are on the very edge of where it started, no snow in southampton and I am about 2 miles to the north so we got a light covering - just enough for me and my daughter to have a snow ball fight - but it is bright sunshine outside now and the snow has all but gone ;.o( Suppose I had better get back to doing some work.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Stargazer {P}
Rural NW Oxfordshire here, between 6-8inches of powdery snow, B roads are still only just passable with care, lorries still cant make it up the hills (no ploughs or gritting). All local schools closed and just spent the last two hours sliding down snowy hills with my daughter. Much more fun than the usual commute!

Will spend the rest of the day working from home and joining in a telecon meeting.

The car will stay nice and safe under the big pile of snow on the driveway.

StarGazer
Chaos tomorrow morning - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Around 3" of sticky snow here in NE Derbyshire. Chickened out of going to Buxton and brought some work home.
Main roads seem to be OK and side roads interesting.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Bromptonaut
Perhaps 3-4 inches here in souh Northants. Decided on a work at home day rather than chance 6am drive and train to London. Council had gritted all the roads it says it will. At 10:00 village lanes still heavy slush, former A45 between M1/J16 and ring road wet with occasional slush piles. Much improved by 11:30 but snow falling in lumps again now. Peugeot 406 nose down in ditch between here and next village, another who expected road to adapt?

SWMBO rung by head at 06:50 to say no teachers needed today - school closed, ditto kids comp at other end of village. Not an issue of state sector=lack of motivation; teachers could have got in if they had to. Senior schools here are 1500 place rural comprehensives with 80% of kids bussed in, bus companies not willing to take chances and heads not wanting a school full of stranded kids if they do get in.
">SWMBO rung by head<"

I say, that's a bit harsh isn't it!
Chaos tomorrow morning - madf
This would be farcical if it was not so pathetic. I was brought up in NE Scotland where schools closed when drifting snow (>50cm) stopped the gritters.. otherwise it was school as usual. I walked 3 miles every day to/from school often in 12cms of snow along virgin pavements.

Progress!

PS If the snow was in N England or Scotland it would not be news. Only the crowded roads and incompetence of Southern Councils make it a guarantee of chaos...and thus headline news. Civilisation stops north of Watford.. (missing out many areas I know:-))
madf
When I was at school in Derbyshire in the '80's, we occasionally used to get the day off because the schools' boiler used to pack up. (Quite why it failed when some snow fell is not clear.)
I heard a small snippet of local radio in Nottingham this morning, and it said that one of the schools would be closed today, "just as a precaution".

I have had it confirmed by text from my g.f. that in Nottingham the snow did indeed turn to rain at around lunch time.
Chaos tomorrow morning - deepwith
Just spoken to daughter who is supply teaching in north London - school open today but due to 'staff travel difficulties' it will close tomorrow! No pay for her then - and looking at the webcam in Kentish Town there is no snow!
I remember in the 70's the junior teachers rushing into school early (Stockwell/Brixton borders) as the head had suggested the first few teachers in were to decide whether the school would open - the anticipated power meant we were all there!! lol Pupils still turned up in ankle socks and no coats as per usual.
This would be farcical if it was not so pathetic. I
was brought up in NE Scotland where schools closed when drifting
snow (>50cm) stopped the gritters.. otherwise it was school as usual.
I walked 3 miles every day to/from school often in 12cms
of snow along virgin pavements.
Progress!
PS If the snow was in N England or Scotland it
would not be news. Only the crowded roads and incompetence of
Southern Councils make it a guarantee of chaos...and thus headline news.
Civilisation stops north of Watford.. (missing out many areas I know:-))
madf

I agree with you entirely and I'm from Surrey. It's pathetic.
Chaos tomorrow morning - drbe
What about the chaos tomorrow (Friday) morning, with the freezing fog forecast?
freezing fog forecast?

At least the futile fog light brigade will have a reason to use them, unlike today when a lot of numpties thought they were snow lights.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Brian Tryzers
> It's pathetic.

I disagree. Days like today (in southern and central England anyway) seldom occur more than once or twice a winter, and that's hardly sufficient to justify all the resources that would be needed to keep everything open as usual when it snows. It would have to be paid for, of course, and you'd soon hear the bellyaching about 'snowploughs that do nothing for 360 days a year'. When this happens, a few people grumble and a lot more enjoy a slack day or even a free day off. No real harm done, given that most of us work too much anyway, and there's now a seven-foot-tall snowman in my back garden that wouldn't have happened if the schools had been open.
Chaos tomorrow morning - JH
Wife drove down from the frozen North to Warwickshire today. She reckoned the M6 was the quietest she has ever seen it. No snow on road, just a bit wet. M6 Toll had some snow in outside lane, probably due to lack of traffic. The matrix sign approaching the M6 Toll warned of "congestion on the M6 jn 11 to 8 but the M6 Toll is clear". So now we know for sure it says that all of the time!

Hey everybody it's going to be a foot deep tomorrow, so please stay at home (while I drive on empry roads :-) )

JH

Chaos tomorrow morning - Round The Bend
They interviewed the spokesman of the highways gritting department on the local TV news yesterday - an appropriately named Mr Sledge!
has he got a sister?
And you thought we had bad weather.

www.born2win.net/prikols/Shiver2.pps (powerpoint presentation file, approx 1MB file size)

Please note, I haven't had time to check the content of the other files on the above site, and therefore I have no idea if any 18+ material is present - hence one of the reasons why it's not a clickable link.
Chaos tomorrow morning - apm
It was nice to see how many snowmen were around and about my neck of the woods (Bromley).

I do remember the winter of 1990, taking my mk1 XR2 to a local (empty) car park and spending a good hour just doing handbrake turns and generally mucking about- great fun! There was a guy in a Cavalier mk2 SRi at the other end doing exactly the same thing.

It seems that as we experience less adverse weather, we become less able to deal with it. This, coupled with today's risk averse society, means that schools close when snow is forecast, and people batten down the hatches. As other posters have said, back in the 70's (when I was a kid), we'd pull on our wellies & wrap up for school, and have lots of fun in the breaktimes, snowballing, sledging or just sliding around (smell of wet woollen gloves drying on a radiator, anyone?).

I Did have a snowball fight with the other half yesterday, but as she was waterproofed up and I wasn't, I gave in when she got one in my pocket and my phone got wet. Oh to be young & carefree again...

Came and went quick though, didn't it?

A.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
IN deepest rural Rutland last night, I found 1/2 mile of dead end road, with untained snow on top of Ice.

Two hours later I can say

1/ THe ABS works in reverse.
2/ Traction control does not.
3/ 3 perfect 360 spins in a row deserves 5.0 (think tripple salco)
4/ The Touran does perfect J turns.

And on a more serious note for the future, after the ABS has kicked in for (boy does it use power, the headlamps dim) and the car comes to a halt, the pedal sinks to the floor after the last "ABS kick"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Chaos tomorrow morning - bimmer-driver
Just had a complete nightmare getting home from Kidsgrove, S-O-T. 2 inches of snow on top of ice is not nice to drive in! And while I was gingerley gioing at 20 mph where it seemed a bit better, I was overtaken by a van, and had a 4x4 sit about 6 inches from my bumper. Are people that impatient or just incredibly stupid?
Chaos tomorrow morning - Brian Tryzers
> Are people that impatient or just incredibly stupid?

Both, I'm afraid. There's a growing minority that takes no account of poor driving conditions. They're the same ones you see on the motorway, usually with rear fog lamps blazing as they hammer along at sunny-day speed when they and the rest of us can barely see for spray. They won't make allowances for winter weather either, hence the oft-heard post-accident bleat, "Black ice, mate - nothing I could do".
Chaos tomorrow morning - JH
W,
I don't dispute your point but the slowest cars round here were 4*4s. I went past a Touareg that was doing 5mph. Now call me irresponsible if you like but there was about an inch of snow and I wasn't in my Mk 2 Escort in which I drove through much deeper than that with no drama many years ago. The conditions certainly needed care and demanded more driving skill than usual and, the trouble is, some people do not have the skill, the experience or the interest to aquire either and make their driving safer.
JH
A worthy use of the Queens Highway ;-)
Chaos tomorrow morning - PoloGirl
Lots of lovely snow in Basingstoke yesterday, but no problems once I'd got down the hill I live on (can't say the same for the numpties trying to come up it, when it's a much flatter route to go round the other way). Colleagues were very jealous as most places south of Basingstoke were spared. Even better, the snow has cleaned the car, so I don't need to do it!

/rant on/ Why DO they close the schools when it snows? The rest of us have to do our best to get to work when there's a little bit of snow, so why shouldn't teachers? And why were they sending everyone home from schools when it started snowing again today? All that happens is that parents get the day off and the rest of us have to do their work. /rant over/

Perhaps you only know poor people who can't afford private schooling?

Simper.
/rant on/ Why DO they close the schools when it snows?
The rest of us have to do our best to get
to work when there's a little bit of snow, so why
shouldn't teachers? And why were they sending everyone home from schools
when it started snowing again today? All that happens is that
parents get the day off and the rest of us have
to do their work. /rant over/
I'm not a fan of the current H & S extremism......but......can see the other side of the coin. SWMBO is a part -time teacher and was expecting to work extra hours on thurs, working as a 'supply'. The school closed so the westpig household has to make to with a little less........however

the danger is with snow, that you'd end up with a number of 'little darlings' left at the school because at the end of the day mater and pater can't get there to pick them up.......that's ok for an hour or two, but much longer than that is a no-no......especially with the little ones. Why risk it, for the sake of a couple of days...max

plus.........our road was a nightmare with the snow, not gritted......why should we risk bashing the car unnecessarily (school is in the middle of nowhere). We don't fit winter tyres (not enough of a bad winter to justify it) and the low profiles are virtually useless....furthermore...we expect everyone else to drive like muppets (because they're not used to it) so all in all stay at home was good advice in my book
Chaos tomorrow morning - No FM2R
>>/rant on/ Why DO they close the schools when it snows?

A mate of mine is a head master (I have low standards).

His biggest worry is that pretty much whatever happens to the kids if they are in school is going to result in a reaction somewhere between a letter to the Governers and a law suit. Whether they got hit in the face with a snowball, got too cold and got sick, fell over, etc. etc. His point is that if he closes the school they can whinge and whine all they like, but they can't actually cause him any problems, whereas if he opens the school the best he can achive is nothing and the worst is a whole pile of carp raining down on his [he reckons] overworked head.
There is a Headmaster in the UK now facing Manslaughter charges over an accident in his playground which sadly resulted in a death. So Mark is pretty near the spot on this.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Nsar
Was this accident as a result of snow?
No something else - but the principle remains the same, if the RA's control measure says close the school in event of snow -you close it or risk prosecution if the wheel comes off. We've lost it in this country, people are afraid to take the smallest risk. It;s not a trait that males a country great.
Chaos tomorrow morning - Avant
It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good: there were fewer kamikaze mums on the road this morning because of that.
There is method in this "close the schools" madness.

All in all, traffic levels were WAY down, and hence the chaos largely didnt happen.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >