Car park Bump - charlesworth82
A friend of mine bumped into a parked car at a shopping centre. They didnt have anything to leave a note and couldnt hang around waiting so took the cars license plate (there was a scratch on the other car). They have informed their insurance company and passed the details on - is this now up to the insurance company to sort out.
Car park Bump - L'escargot
....... is this now
up to the insurance company to sort out.

It's up to your friend. He can either just admit to having been in an accident (thereby complying with the rules of his insurance policy that any accident must be reported), or he can make a claim for the repair of the damage to his own car and leave them to sort out whatever is necessary regarding the other car. I would opt for the latter, but I admit that I appear to be in the minority. I take the view that in exchange for me paying the premium, my insurance company sorts the accidents. I don't see the point of having a dog and barking myself.
--
L\'escargot.
My friend only has third party so wont be claiming for anything for his car. He has let his insurance company know what happened and passed the full details on so they can chase up with the other person if required. By law does my friend have to inform the police - or is informing the insurance company good enough. Basically has he covered his back if the police got in touch to say he left the scene of the offence (as I know you can leave and inform within 24 hours)
Sorry charlesworth82, I misunderstood the question.
--
L\'escargot.
Car park Bump - Westpig
depends if the car park is subject to the Road Traffic Act or not........usually whether it is publically maintained...(although some more serious offences can now be committed in private car parks that the public have access to)

if it's a publically maintained car park i would advise reporting the accident to police, otherwise the driver could commit the offence of failing to report it i.e names and addresses weren't exchanged at the time

the reality is he/she would be hard done by if they were 'done' because they've already done more than most do nowadays by reporting it to the ins co........ but there again there are pedantic cretins in all aspects of life, so if it was me i'd cover my back

it's supposed to be reported 'as soon as is practicable and in any case within 24 hrs'
Car park Bump - Round The Bend
I don't fully understand the OP. Assume that I've got the wrong end of the stick but if your friend bumped into another car, took the number and drove off how can the owner of the damaged car ever find out who did the damage? Handing the details of the bump to his own Insurance company won't achieve this - they are n't going to do anything.

Red mist matter here as SWMBO parked in our local supermarket 2 weeks ago and returned to find considerable damage to her car over the rear wheel arch. The car park had no cameras and the trolly boy saw nothing. Fortunately SWMBO has a protected no claims but we're still going to have to stump up the excess for the damage put at £600/700. These people who scarper really, really annoy me.
_______
IanS
They have been told that the insurance company should be the ones to get in touch with the other vehicle (as the have passed the details on to them).
Car park Bump - ablandy
i think the OP means that his friend has contacted his insurance in the hope they will find and contact the person he bumped. They will then sort out the damage and compensate the bumped party.

Sounds to me like he is trying to do the right thing by sorting it out.

Car park Bump - Round The Bend
Sounds to me as if he is trying to avoid his responsibilities. As he only had 3rd party insurance, his insurance company will only act if they receive a claim. They are not in the business of soliciting claims or providing a trace the driver service. (Is n't that right Mark?)

As the driver of the damaged vehicle apparently has no details of the offending driver or car they are stuffed! How can they ever make a claim?
Car park Bump - runboy
I would have thought advising the local plod would bring more chance of the other driving chasing the person who did the damage. Get your mate to give plod a call and leave the details. Hopefully the damaged car owner will call the plod and the two will be united.
If the charlesworth82's friend is determined to do the right thing I think (for a small fee) the DVLA will divulge the details of the registered keeper of the other vehicle.
--
L\'escargot.
If the charlesworth82's friend is determined to do the right thing
I think (for a small fee) the DVLA will divulge the
details of the registered keeper of the other vehicle.

See tinyurl.com/26s24u
--
L\'escargot.
Car park Bump - No FM2R
>>They didnt have anything to leave a note

So how did he write down the number of the other car ?
>>They didnt have anything to leave a note
So how did he write down the number of the other
car ?

Mental note?
--
L\'escargot.
Car park Bump - barchettaman
Lipstick on the inside of the windscreen? Maybe his car was dirty, and he wrote it on the flank in the filth.
Ha ha some funny comments. He wrote the reg plate on his phone - the one thing most people carry around. He's got in touch with the police and have left it for them. They said they will have a wait and see if the guy reports the bump. thanks for all the advice (and for giving me a laugh while at work)
...........and
for giving me a laugh while at work)

You mean this is in your employer's time? Naughty!
--
L\'escargot.
Sure is - although we get one hour a day surf time. So got a few more minutes to burn!!!
Sure is - although we get one hour a day surf
time. So got a few more minutes to burn!!!

You must work in the public sector. You wouldn't get jam on it like that in the private sector.
--
L\'escargot.