Old Habits die hard - Cardew
There was an interesting thread a couple of months ago wondering if we worry unduly about frequency of oil changes, type of oil, running in etc. ? a subject that is still aired frequently in the Backroom.

The consensus of opinion was that following the manufacturer?s service schedule was sufficient. Modern engines are inherently reliable and rarely gave trouble even with huge mileages. The question posed was do we change oil more frequently etc because of our experiences from an earlier motoring era.

Without trying to resurrect that discussion I thought this amusing.
C

Re: Old Habits die hard - Tom Shaw
You too have worked for a local authority at some time in the past then, Cardew?
Re: Old Habits die hard - John S
Cardew

Maybe works with monkeys, but any real company with that sort of outlook would have gone to the wall long ago.

Regards

John
Re: Old Habits die hard - The Bully
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

For a moment there I thought that the thread was going to be about "Speed Kills", or "Drink-Driving", or Global "Warming".

Errrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Looks like I was totally wrong.

No connection whatsover.

Cardew's made a monkey out of me, for insisting on climbing the ladder yet again!
Re: Old Habits die hard - Cyclone Cyd
FACT: manufacturers specify the MINIMUM amount of servicing they can get away with to keep "cost of ownership" down for the owner who buys new (mostly fleets!!), whilst keeping warranty down to a minimum too.
Cars are designed for a 10 year life of average motoring. If you look carefully at the service schedule you will probably find that there is some small print suggesting that if the car is used for "arduous" motoring then more frequent servicing will be required - consult your dealer for advice.
If you want your car to have a life far exceeding it's design life, then service it MORE OFTEN than the manufacturer recommends and use high quality products. Don't forget the other fluids too (antifreeze, brake fluid, gearbox oil etc).
HJ doesn't give out his advice about servicing and oil changes just for the fun of typing.
Re: Old Habits die hard - Robert
Another aspect of this is that many, not most, company cars tend to do significant mileages in the first 2/3 years of their life. We all know that its the first 10 minutes following a cold start that causes the most wear and tear on the engine.

Therefore, with the car doing a reduced mileage - but almost certainly still being used a couple of times a day from cold in my books is sufficient reason alone for frequent oil changes.

I change the oil on the Wife's car between dealer services and am always amazed at just how nasty it is after 5,000 miles.
Re: Old Habits die hard - Andrew
Aaaaaaaah but the public sector. Thats a different matter!!!!!!!

Andrew
Re: Old Habits die hard - THe Growler
Well, I don't know if it means anything, but regardless of manuals, mfr's claims, whatever oil I'm using, advances in lube technology etc etc, mileage covered, or anything else all my vehicles get an oil and filter change every 3 months. Always have done. This habit was instilled in me years ago by my old foreman in the m/cycle trade who used to get phenomenal trouble-free mileages of of the then pernickety bikes of the time. This spares me all the worries about debate, sure I may be spending more than I need, but better it go on fresh oil than having the vehicle in the shop, i.e. same difference to the wallet or worse.

I am sure HJ would have all sorts of counsel to offer me on the subject to help me enhance this approach, if he had the time, for surely this topic has been well debated before, but would overall nod his wise head in general approval of this strategy.
Re: Old Habits die hard - Cardew
THe Growler,

You are right which is why I wrote

I agree that extra oil changes etc will enhance the life of an engine and I for one would not dream of criticising those who wish to do so. I stick to the manufacturer?s schedule as I believe that the engine will out-last the rest of the car ? but each to his own.

My point, other than I thought the article amusing, was many of us do things ?because that?s the way we have always done them?. A friend?s elderly father still double de-clutches on a modern car and swings to the right before turning left into his drive!

Regards

C
Re: Old Habits die hard - THe Growler
Plenty of Filipino drivers refuse to use their lights at night because they believe it wears the battery out prematurely (fact)