Peugeot 406 Engine Screech/Whine - DevonTime
Hello,

I have a 2003 peugeot 406 110 diesel and recently I have been noticing a screech/whine coming from the engine. Seems only to be when the car is warming up but can last for 30 minutes or so.

I have taken it into a garage and been told it is a noisy flywheel - nothing to worry about unless I want to have it replaced for £600 to stop the noise.

My question is .. does this seem correct ?

You get so many opinions that vary and this is an area I don't know anything about.

If anyone can help I would appreciate the information.

Thanks.
Peugeot 406 Engine Screech/Whine - machman
my 307 hdi makes the same noise but only briefly on start up and when its turned off...the dealer wants to charge me £1100 for the fly wheel and clutch so if I were you I would try and live with it or contact peugeot UK my car has only done 46k miles fully serviced
Peugeot 406 Engine Screech/Whine - mike hannon
This time of year it might just be a slipping alternator belt?
Peugeot 406 Engine Screech/Whine - pugman406
Hello

when i purchased my 406 2,0hdi 2001 i had exactly the same problem, its a very commen problem on hdi engines, and is something that i would advise you to get sorted soon.

Basically the fly wheel snapt of the central bolt and stays on but loose, after time it can ware the bolt and come of, causing you considerable damage and expence.

The figure of £600 is very expensive. If you have a haynes manial you can do it yourself for the price of a flywheel.

Hope this answers your question