Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - peelprincess
After breaking down and being towed by the AA to a garage in Stoke (not my local area - I live in Bury, Lancashire), I was informed that the head gasket on the car had blown and it would cost £500 to fix.

I have since towed the car back home and was wondering if anyone could give me a round about price to have the head gasket replaced. I understand that it is an expensive job especially if it involves skimming the head etc. I just wanted to get an average price before I make any decisions. (Scrapping it is not an option - I have borrowed the car off a friend - it's a P Reg).

I would appreciate any comments / recommendations on what is best to do - and if anyone knows any garages close by who are reasonable.

Thanks in advance!!!
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - The Purifier
I think 500 sounds a bit expensive for a simple car like the saxo. It cost 200 when my old skoda head gasket went can't see why a saxo should cost much more than that but i'm no expert!
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - yorkiebar
probably depends on the type of garage doing the work ( a glass palce type place will be expensive) but with a book time of around 4.5 hours and a fairly simple engine I would have expected a bill of around £ 350 to £ 400 but does depend on what parts are needed too.

Get another quote or two first maybe?
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - peelprincess
I will get a few local quotes before I decide anything. Thanks very much for your replies.
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - sparky93
.*********
why the stars in last post of mine??

.*********
the skoda was a simple engine to do as it was ohv, but the saxo is ohc, so more messing with the cambelt, wich is worth changing at same time, as is the wp.
this website is messed up.

posts not correctly loading.

the skoda was a simple engine to do as it was ohv, but the saxo is ohc, so more messing with the cambelt, wich is worth changing at same time, as is the wp.
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - LeePower
This TU1 head gasket is really easy to do.

Cam belt change is only 45 minutes as well for a skilled mechanic.

Whip the head off, skim it, pressure test it, sling a new gasket set on, water pump, timing belt kit, check the radiator cos they can leak, maybe sling a thermostat at it as well.

Well under £500 easy.
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - Dynamic Dave
this website is messed up.
posts not correctly loading.

They are, but unlike other forums you're probably used to, when a new reply is made it won't necessarily end up at the bottom of the thread. It all depends on who you are replying to at the time. If you click on "view threaded" at the top of this thread you *should* see what I mean.

The ".*********" message meant that you upset the swear filter big time. Mild expletives will leave the first letter and put ****'s for the remainder of the word, but heavy duty expletives will trash the whole sentence and replaced with just ".*********" (this is not an invite or challenge to test the swearfilter, btw). Depending on my mood at the time, mild expletives will either edited out and replaced with "pink fluffy dice" or the whole post deleted. See www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=33415 for further clarification.

DD. BR Moderator.
dunno how the swear box involved itself lol, the text was the same as what did eventually appear re the sko. bizzare :)
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - Edinburgh andy

I had a Pug 106 1.1 n reg head gasket changed for 350 although that was 3.5 years ago.

That price included skimming head, oil and filter change, and timing belt.
Citroen Saxo 1.1 Head Gasket Help - crazy1

My head gasket started blowing,,, steam from exhaust,,no heater,, over heating and loss of coolant. I tried a bodge before an expensive repair bill and hey presto problem solved for a tenner. Go to your nearest car accessory shop and buy a tub of Kalimex K seal follow instructions pour in rad with bleed valve open..top up coolant, do up bleed valve refit rad cap run up to temperature and then for a further three minutes and problem solved!!!!! No guarantees on how long it will last but it will do a good job in all but the most extreme cases!!! Crazy1!!