Focus 02 1.6 oil filter sizes? - cheddar
Hello,

I changed the oil and filter on my mother-in-law's 02 Focus 1.6 auto recently, when I bought the filter I was told that there are two that fit, one slightly longer than the other, no recomendation for one over the other. I bought the shorter one (the diameter is the same) though when I came to fit it the car had the longer one already fitted.

It has just occured to me that the longer, higher capacity, filter may be specified for the auto, does anyone have any info on this?

Thanks.
Focus 02 1.6 oil filter sizes? - jc2
We used to fit Essex oil filters on our OHC's; same diameter but longer to get more filtration.
Focus 02 1.6 oil filter sizes? - yorkiebar
According to my info the 2 choices are for either zetec or Duratec engines.

Would be very wary of fitting other one unless you are confident all internals are the same.
The dealer was very specific in that either one could be fitted to the 1.6 Zetec.
Focus 02 1.6 oil filter sizes? - yorkiebar
I am not saying its wrong but.....

my local ford dealer confirmed my opinion for me and I also think its odd for Ford to make 2 parts for 1 car !

But i doubt if it will cause any problem anyway.
Focus 02 1.6 oil filter sizes? - piston power
why not ring the service dept at your ford dealer these guy's fit these all day long they will be the best for any advice. mechanics no best!!!
Focus 02 1.6 oil filter sizes? - Roly93
I have a Focus 1.6 and have come across this scenario. I dont think it matters which one you fit, although it would theoretically be a slight advantage to fit a larger filter to give more filter surface area, help the engine to carry more oil, and perhaps even to help in cooling the oil better.
Focus 02 1.6 oil filter sizes? - BobC
I think the shorter filter is normally specified for the 1400cc Focus and the longer filter for 1600cc models (based on what I have seen in filter manufacturers' application lists). Neither is expensive - I use the larger one on SWMBO's 1.6 Focus.
Focus 02 1.6 oil filter sizes? - DP
Is this not an "ease of access" thing? I don't knwo the Focus from a service point of view, but on the mk2 Mondeo, the filter is stuffed down the back of the engine and is accessed through the driver side wheel arch. A traditional "short" filter would physically fit, but would be much more difficult to reach to install and remove afterwards. A long filter sticks out slightly further toward the wheelarch meaning it's a doddle to undo and replace.

Perversely on my TD Mondeo, part of the air-con belt tensioner runs across the "back" of the oil filter meaning that filters which are half a centimetre too long will not fit either. I have found two makes of pattern oil filter which won't fit my car, but would be fine on a model without aircon.

Cheers
DP

Thanks guys, no not ease of access, the filter is easy to get at at the front of the engine, loads of room around it, even the longer one.