Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - Sim-O
Carrying in from this topic tinyurl.com/yzelr3

My SIL has a 2003 1.4 Match. Is this the same engine as the FSI?
She is losing a lot of oil, I don't know specific quantities, but it is not what I would call a normal amount on a low milage three year old car.
When she first took in to the dealer they said they had changed the 'oil filler cap', as it was faulty. I'm sure if it was the oil filler cap or not **sorry Pip, if you're reading this**.
The oil loss continued and the dealership steam washed the engine at around the sump and told my SIL to comeback the following ek to check.
They said there was no oil leak, and that oil loss (dunno if it's burning or leaking) of about 1 litre for every 600 miles.
Are they spinning her a line? Surely this sort of oil loss cannot be right?

Could I have your opinions please.
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - mss1tw
I bet she does a lot of short journies?
mmm, yes. reckon she should go the long way to work then?
As long as it's not just sitting in traffic that's what I would do personally, and don't let her be shy of 6000rpm. ;o)
Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - Screwloose
Sim-O

Not a lot of firm detail in there - but if it really is using a litre every 600 miles and there's no visible leak; [even half a litre leaking makes an appalling mess under the car] then she has a serious engine problem that needs fixing before it causes even more damage to things like the cat.
VW 1.4s are known for using a lot of oil on short runs I believe.

The exact same thing happened to a friends MG ZR 1.4

Took 2 litres to get it back up to maximum IIRC.
That's the problem, she went on holiday for 4 months and her father used it only for about 5 mile a day and went through 3 litres ish with no puddles on their drive or at his place of work.

She asked my opinion and i thought that what she was told, to expect to use about a litre per 600 miles, was a bit of a fib. Then I saw the thread liked to above, in it someone saying to expect about 1 litre/1k miles and don't know if I've advised her right.
The other thing is, it is about to come out of warranty.
Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - piston power
Have the breathers been cleaned out? you may find yellow like sludge built up inside, also worth a compression test wet/dry to see where there is any wear you may have to go to an independent so your not fobbed off by your dealer cos it's so close to the warranty? there is plenty of vw independants around and tell them the problems get a written quote and take that back to the vw dealers.good luck
Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - aahbarnes
you may have to go
to an independent so your not fobbed off by
your dealer cos it's so close to the warranty?

Why would the dealer care if it's close to the end of the warranty? They recoup the bill from VWUK.
Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - Perfection
My sister's golf does the same, she says she had to buy a small tub of oil (4 litres) and will las for about 10,000 miles. She took it ot the VW dealer and complaint when it was under warantee. The dealer simply pointed her to look at the handbook. The handbook does seems to say the car can consume upto a few litres of oil every 600 miles or so (I can't remember exactly but i have never driven a car that drinks so much oil).

So does drives around the town/short journey. She drives around 40 miles a day on the A38, so I can't see why the short journey can cause it. But the car is out of warantee now, and she just has to carry a few litres of oil in the boot.
Thanks guys.
Sounds like this is not the exception.
I have have told my SIL to get an independant to look at it and get something written down and see what happens.

Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - Stuartli
According to my Bora 1.6 manual up to one litre of oil can be consumed in each 1,000k of motoring.

In actual fact, even with just under 59,000 miles on the clock, it has never needed topping up between oil and filter changes. My light grey paved area at the front of the house is completely oil stains free.

It has remained so during ownership over the past 15 years of two VW Jettas and the Bora which have totalled well over 200k between them - the Jettas also never needed the oil topping up.

I would agree with the view that there could be a problem somewhere engine wise.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - Bill Payer
In actual fact, even with just under 59,000 miles on the
clock, it has never needed topping up between oil and filter
changes.

I do wonder about cars that use no oil at all - our Jazz doesn't, and that only ever does short journeys. The level never moves between annual services (about 8000 miles).

Can an engine really not use *any* oil, or is the oil being topped up with unburnt fuel?
Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - jonah1
Unfortunatly VWs can use a bit of oil, as someone rightly said VW say 1000km/800miles per litre. It all depends on what oil you use aswell?
Mk IV Golf Oil Loss - turbo11
The 1.4 FSI engine has now been dropped by VW due to bore wear problems,with the resulting high oil consumption.