Towing trolley - jezbed
Not really a technical matter, but I noticed an AA recovery vehicle using a towing mechanism which was basically a triangular trailer frame, with two wheels, an axle and then two holes for two car wheels to sit in-between the wheels of the towing 'trolley'. The towed vehicle is driven/roled/pulled onto the holes and the front wheels strapped down. This means the car can be towed, with its front wheel off the ground, and rear wheels rolling on the tarmac. There was no need for any one to sit in the towed vehicle and steer it, as with a tow bar. It seemed alot easier than having a trailer, and having to have the space to store one. I have to collect vehicles regularly, and my poor old dad is always roped in to giving me lifts. Any idea where i can get one??
Towing trolley - L'escargot
I didn't know before, but a google revealed that they're called car dollies. Here's one ~ tinyurl.com/yg82xp
--
L\'escargot.
Towing trolley - Simon
Here's the link to a website that sells the thing that you saw. In recent years it has become popular with the likes of the RAC and AA for short distance towing. Basically it allows the roadside van to tow the vehicle away safely without the need to call for a transporter. But there are a couple of drawbacks: 1, they are not the quickest thing to deploy from the back of the van as they take some setting up each time you use them. 2, you lose a lot of space in the back of the van (that would have been used to house tools/equipment), in order to accomodate the trailer.

Here's the link www.aframes.co.uk/
Towing trolley - Screwloose
jezbed

Be a bit careful if you're offered a second-hand one [particularly on e-bay] as most of them are now illegal due to lack of effective braking. It was always a grey area; but was the subject of a court case, about five years back, that has set legal precedent.

Only those that meet the clarified standards are allowed to be sold; so buying a new one should be OK. Also make sure your towing vehicle has a sufficient towing capacity for the permitted gross weight of the dolly if you're not recovering "disabled mechanically-propelled vehicles." [Basically; you'll need a serious 4X4 or a big van - and maybe a tacho fitted too if you're going any distance.]
Towing trolley - piston power
is it called a dolley? the names rattling about in my head!! you could try the rac/aa auctions as they get rid of old vans/tools etc..
Towing trolley - stuartl
I enquired about towing dollies a couple of years ago as I have a Seven-Style kit car that only weighs 540kg and sometimes I would like to tow it to track days etc.

Screwloose offers good advice regarding the legality of these devices which as he says is a bit of a grey area.

In theory they are an excellent method of transporting your car around as in my case, the car trailer generally weighs more than my kit car(!), but there are various restrictions on their use. I seem to recall one of the 'rules' was that they are only supposed to be used as a method of recovering a vehicle to a safe place although (if I recall this correctly) is of course, open to interpretation.

I will try and investigate and post again

Stuart
Towing trolley - stuartl
Here is a snip of the regs from a camping webite which may be helpful.......................

There are strict regulations on braked trailers and, whilst a braked ?A? frame attached to a towed car constitutes a braked trailer, it is not legal for transportation as it cannot comply with EC71/320. With car dollies, the situation is somewhat different. Under regulation 83 of the Road Vehicles (construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (SI.1986/1078) Amending Regulations, a car dolly, with a car in place, will be considered as two trailers. This is legal for recovery but, under the Road Traffic Regulations Act 1984 (Schedule 6) the combination is limited to 40 mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 20 mph elsewhere.

Note that there is a very specific difference between recovery and transportation. Recovery is the removal of a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. It does not include removing a rotor arm (for instance) and travelling the length and breadth of the country. The police are well aware of the difference due to the regulations covering Tachographs and Operators Licences. Recovery vehicles are exempt.

It is well known that some countries in the EEC tend to overlook the regulations (the UK included) but some countries don?t. The situation regarding enforcement could change at any time and, as a result, the only safe way to transport another vehicle behind a motorhome is on a car transporter trailer. Play safe! Don?t take the risk!