Audi A4 Airbags - SimonC
The airbag light will not go out on my A4 2000 X reg. Dealer can't reset - says airbay ecu has failed. I have found a second hand ecu - can anyone tell me where the airbag ecu is located on the car?
Audi A4 Airbags - Aprilia
The airbag ECU is behind the dashboard, roughly central in the car. Not particularly easy to get at.
Remove the earth lead when working on the system and make sure it is the last thing you connect back up when finishing the job.

I think the ECU **may** be coded to the car, so you may have to visit a dealer to code the new unit. If the S/hand unit had been 'fired' then it may contain crash data in memory which would have to be cleared.

There are companies which repair airbag ECU's you know.....
Audi A4 Airbags - SimonC
Thanks for the information. I realise that the Dealer may have to reset the new unit - just trying to reduce the cost.
Audi A4 Airbags - TimOrridge
There are companies which repair airbag ECU's you know>>

Do you know any of these please? My dad is experiencing the same problem, been to dealer and they couldnt do it. His car is P Reg 1.8 A4
Audi A4 Airbags - TimOrridge
See Below

""There are companies which repair airbag ECU's you know""
Audi A4 Airbags - Hamsafar
Try BBA Reman for a repair or replacement.
Always replace controller with one with the same part number.
Audi A4 Airbags - adverse camber
unless its one of the ones that vw made for a while that put the light on if you interrogate it with a diag tool (including vags own) and then never goes out again.

Have the airbags been deployed or the car been in an accident - I seem to remember that some controllers cannot be reset after they are deployed (but that could be totally wrong)
Audi A4 Airbags - SimonC
The car has not been in any accidents. I just put the key in and the light did not go out as normal, went to dealer, who diagnosed Airbag ECU failure and quoted £527 forsupply and fitting a new part.
Audi A4 Airbags - adverse camber
did they get an error code from it or just fail to communicate using the diagnostics? did they do anything other than plug the diagnostics in ?

Could it just be a problem with wiring ? I would do a lot of checking before coughing up £500+

Do you have vag-com?
Audi A4 Airbags - rtj70
My 2000 year Passat had air-bag problems. Error code simply said there were discrepancies in the voltage of the wiring loom....

One dealer tried to reset.... then O-Ring replacement, then I have in with them and went to another dealer. They replaced some of the wiring loom... and it kept coming back. In the end they bypassed part of the wiring loom because "this had fixed another car" and problem never came back in the last 8 months I had the car. Previously it came back before I got out of their car park!

I'l get wiring checked or live without the airbag(s) ever working?