MGF VVC Water leakage - mrunlucky123
Hi,

I am pretty non mechanical minded, so I apologise now!

I have a 98 MGF VVC, which today, has started to lose its water completely from the expansion tank?
The thermostat is normal, as is the oil temperature.
I have also checked the oil, and there is no white mess, as from previous Rover experience, know to look out for Head Gasket problems.
When I fill the water back up, the water isnt bubbling and trying to explode out either.
The water seems to be leaking in the middle of the engine, and from what I can see from under the car, just in fromnt of where you can see the exhaust go back up out of sight into the engine?

DOes anyone have any ideas what this can be?

Many thanks
MGF VVC Water leakage - bbroomlea{P}
The MGF has metal pipes that run under the car from the engine to the radiator. If these havent been replaced they eventually rust from the outside and start to leak. It may be worth checking those or getting a garage to get it on the ramps and have a look. If it is these you can get stainless steel ones from Mike Sauter which wont give the same problems in the future.
MGF VVC Water leakage - madf
Sounds like inlet manifold gasket?
madf
MGF VVC Water leakage - SteVee
>>The water seems to be leaking in the middle of the engine, and from what I can see from under the car, just in fromnt of where you can see the exhaust go back up out of sight into the engine?<<

This is where the head gasket failed on my '97 VVC -( (there was no contamination of the oil in my case)
It could also be the metal pipes under the car - I had mine done when the car was 8 years old - and the (rover) replacements failed 14 months later ! So do get the Mike Satur replacements if the pipes have corroded. You may need to replace several coolant pipes - possibly including the radiator.
The cap on the coolant bottle can fail as well - I got through at least three

Keep a very close eye on this. do not drive it without a full coolant supply.