Astra coolant loss - 3T
Hi All

seem to have lost about 3 pints of coolant ! must admit don't check coolant level on regular basis( do for oil though)
is 51 plate 1.8 coupe. 84k
cambelt and water pump changed in april at 80k
no mayo on filler cap or dipstick
fan cuts in and out ok
no signs of leak from engine bay or underneath- looked bone dry to me.
first sign was coming home from work yesterday and could only get slightly warm air out of the heater despite temp gauge showing slightly above halfway.
my thoughts were dicky 'stat at first but now having checked water level and topped up have thought again.
both top and bottom hoses were easy to sqeeze and warm - make the coolant in resevoir move when sqeezed.
when filler cap removed there was a certain amount of coolant that re filled it with a hiss after engine had been on but before refill.
carpets all dry
any pointers?
Astra coolant loss - Peter D
OK run the engine till hot gentley and carefully remove cap to release presure, refit cap and run engine a couple of miles and check pressure, if no pressure than may not be a HG job but I would be checking the radiator for signs of a pin hole leak, very difficult to find. HTest it under pressure in the dark and use a tourch the fine mist/ stream shows up better.. You can go and have the header tank 'sniffed' for exhaust gases or take the plugs out to see if one of them is being steam cleaned. But the rad has to be number one. Regards Peter
Astra coolant loss - 3T
thanks Peter- hope it is rad -HG not nice with 16 valves