1982 Porsche 928S - no brake lights - colin-e
Hi all

Guess what - my 1982 Porsche 928S has developed an electrical problem (what a suprise!).

The brake lights won't come on when the brake pedal is pressed. They have worked perfectly since I bought the car, but they have just packed up (I have got the stop light warning light on the dashboard constantly lit).

I've checked the fuses and they are all OK. (Incidentally, fuse #10 was missing, so I've fitted one - to no avail).

The bulbs are fine - I replaced both of them before doing anything else.

I can't find the brake pedal switch - the one that operates the lights - so I can't test that (yet). If anyone knows where to find it, I'd like to check it.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions / advice, before I find a local auto electrician, they would be greatly appreciated.

Obviously I can't use the car until the problem is fixed - and I love driving it, so I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms!
----------------------------------
Colin-E
----------------------------------
1982 Porsche 928S - no brake lights - piston power
Not sure were the switch is but if you look around the pedal box it's either inside there or on the master cylinder on the other side (best dig out the torch)!! if you bridge the wires and the lights come on then a new switch required no need to go to porsche a good motor factor should be able to match up a switch. good luck
1982 Porsche 928S - no brake lights - Steptoe

Agree that the brake light switch is second port of call after replacing bulbs.

never managed to own a porsche so don't know where it will be but on older vehicles without dual circuit brakes it may well be a hydraulic switch in which case it will be fitted into one of the unions
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
1982 Porsche 928S - no brake lights - Kevin
I'm pretty sure that the brake switch is hydraulic on the 928 and a quick google confirms it.

Ring a Porsche dealer (AFN in Reading are good) and talk to the storeman or service dept. They'll tell you where it's located and the cost of a replacement. Porsche genuine parts are not as extortionate as many people think, I'd guess £10 to £20 for the brake switch.

Kevin...

PS. If anyone wants a 944 fuel filter for the cost of postage contact me via the moderators.
1982 Porsche 928S - no brake lights - Screwloose

If it's hydraulic, it'll likely be on the master cylinder. There may even be two.