In the market for new car - please help - tedted22
Hi everyone. First time post here so be gentle. Also bear in mind I am not too "up" on cars - that said, I still prefer to have a decent driving experience and not just any old banger.

I passed my test two years ago and my first car which I still have now is a 3 door 1.4 Corsa B (1998, S Reg)

I have a lot of family and am now looking into an equivalent 5 door, alhough not too sure I like the 5 door Corsas (new or old style).

So, I'd very much be grateful if anyone could advise me of a few decent 5 door cars that would be suitable. I would like it to have electric windows, central locking, power steering, and be at least a 1.4 litre. Not too fussed about air con etc, but that would be nice. Ideally it would not be a lot bigger in length than what I have now, but I understand it will be because of the extra 2 doors.

The next problem is my budget. I reckon I could stretch to £4,000. I 'm not sure if that is enough to get a decent 5 door car or not, but my Corsa cost me £2,500 two years back so I would think so.

If you need any more details please feel free to ask.

Thanks

James
In the market for new car - please help - Dynamic Dave
Ideally it would not be a lot bigger in length than what I have now, but I understand it will be because of the extra 2 doors.

Could be wrong, but I don't think a 5 door Corsa is any bigger than a 3 door Corsa. The main difference with *most* 3 & 5 door cars of the same model is that with 3 doors, the doors are slightly longer so as to allow easier access for the rear passengers to get into the back.

Can't really advise on an alternate car, other than something like a Focus or Astra. Someone will be along in a minute to rubbish at least the latter of my suggestions though, or to point you toward something Japanese ;o)

In the market for new car - please help - henry k
The main difference with *most* 3 & 5 door cars of the same model is that with 3 doors,
the doors are slightly longer so as to allow easier access for the rear passengers to get into the back.

And 5 door cars allow the drivers door to open wider, in a tight car parking spot, so it is easier to get in.
This is getting more important as wider vehicles and poorer parking is the norm. ;-(
In the market for new car - please help - lakelad
If reliability is important - buy Japanese ( Honda Civic for example) . However, I must say that although my Toyota is reliable it suffers from rattles. Good luck.
In the market for new car - please help - Nsar
I have a Yaris which despite being bumped half a mile down a farm track at least twice a day is rattle free after 2.5 years and of course hasn't given us an ounce of trouble. I think you'll have plenty of choice in your price bracket.
The Toyota came after a Fiesta which I thought would be ho hum but was a terrific car.

There's loads of choice out there so you should be able to get a bargain with a bit of patience and following the guidelines on this site for how to buy.

In the market for new car - please help - MVP
I would go for a Focus.

We've hired lots of different mid range cars when on holiday in Cyprus, but the Focus knocks the spots off the competition.
It has a great quality interior, plenty of space, and the suspension is superb (it felt like someone had re-surfaced the roads, moving from a Seat to a Focus)

Plenty arounds, so sure you'll get a decent one for 4k.
Thanks to all - I've at least got a few shortlisted. It's time to go hunting around and see what I can find.

Does anyone have any models of the Focus, Astra etc that I should avoid? (eg, 1.4 versions) etc?

James
In the market for new car - please help - LeePower
If your looking at Focus

1.4 is under powered, CL is real poverty spec ( avoid this )

LX is the next spec up, not bad but nothing special but Zetec spec is worth a look.

A 1.6 petrol would be good for your insurance ( ring up for quote first )

ABS wasn't fitted as standard on the mk one Focus until very late on in its life ( even on the top spec Ghia's it was an optional extra )

Focus is lovely to drive, pin sharp handling & a chassis that will look after you should something unexpected happen out on the road, also as its a Ford nearly any spanner monkey can fix them & parts are real cheap.

Check for rust in the doors & tailgate because there where a few problems on the production line.

As with any newer Ford make sure it comes with BOTH keys.

Astra

1.4 16 valve & 1.6 8 valve nothing special, 1.6 16 valve much better.

Not a bad car to drive ( my sister has the 1.6 16 valve version & its more then nippy enough ) A bit light & numb feeling after driving a Focus, a bit dark & gloomy in the cabin, handlings ok but not as good as the Focus.

Both Astra & Focus have 4 star Euro Ncap safety, try & pick one with ABS at least, aircon would be nice ( make sure it works, especially on the Astra! )

At this price range & with the fact there's so many Astra & Focus out there looking for buyers you can afford to be choosey & not end up with a dog, Take your time & pick the best.

In the market for new car - please help - car junky
tinyurl.com/u7kbw {Link to autotrader search shortened as was screwing up the page width of this site - DD}

Go for a 5 year old A-class, there are good low mileage private ones out there. Look for Full Service History.
In the market for new car - please help - PhilW
"Go for a 5 year old A-class, there are good low mileage private ones out there. Look for Full Service History. "

but read this first!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47286&...f
--
Phil
In the market for new car - please help - MVP
"Go for a 5 year old A-class, there are good low
mileage private ones out there. Look for Full Service History. "
but read this first!
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47286&...f
--
Phil

These do not have anything like the build quality of a Focus and will cost several times more to maintain - ever wondered why they are so cheap 2nd hand?
A class your paying for that badge & thats it.

Focus, bread & butter motor thats cheap / simple to fix & easy on your pocket.
In the market for new car - please help - lakelad
A Focus might be simple and cheap to fix but if you buy Japanese they don't need fixing. You pay a small premium but avoid the hassle and expense of repairs (generally) and get a good price when you come to sell.
In the market for new car - please help - The Purifier
You could possibly buy a new shape Mondeo for around 4k. I know you said you wanted a Corsa-sized car but once you're used to a bigger car the're as easy to drive as a small car. I believe you get more kit with a Mondeo over a Focus and the ride/handling is just as good as the Focus. Insurance shouldn't be too bad as well. You may be limited to LX spec cars though but if you could get a Zetec I'd go for one of them
Thanks again guys - very very helpful in the quest for a new car.

Any more tips would be appreciated - i will keep you updated on my findings.

James
In the market for new car - please help - Avant
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a Skoda Fabia. Go for the 1.4 16v and you get 100 bhp and better economy than a Focus, but almost as much room (and more than in the otherwise excellent Yaris). The 1.9 diesel is just as quick but noisier. Look in Autotrader and you'll find plenty of choice for under £4,000.

You can also get a Fabia Combi (estate) with more room but there aren't so many of these around.
In the market for new car - please help - maz64
If you want to keep it small, I would second the Yaris. Our 4 year old 1.0 GS has been completely reliable and, despite the apparent lack of power, is good fun to drive with balanced handling. Carrying passengers does dent the performance though. Not at its best on motorways, but is fine at 65 on A roads. Trip computer indicates ~48mpg overall.
John
In the market for new car - please help - y2k+4
As a Focus 1.6 LX owner, I can speak highly of it's good points. But. It does cost a bit more than I expected to run, and with 2 years NCB I'll still be looking at at least £650 on insurance. I would recommend the Yaris, or maybe even a 206 as they're surprisingly spacious for their size I've always felt, and they are good to drive, ought to also be cheaper to run than Focus.

That said the car supermarkets are doing good deals on 05-reg Punto's (old style) and 55 reg Ka's for 3995, maybe these too would make wise choices? Especially the Ka. Also maybe consider a facelifted (03?) 1.5 Almera. Though the steering is light, most would agree it's not a duff drive, and is quite grippy with a good driving position.
As a 206 owner myself there is no way on earth I could recommend it to ANYONE!

The 206 has awful reliability, doesn't drive like a Peugeot should ( no modern Peugeot does ) & has squeaks & rattles built in at the factory.
Thanks.

A few more questions.

I've seen a few nice deals on Astra's about. Should I go for the 1.4 16v or the 1.6 8v? What would be the difference between the two? Which would be best for 2 adults in the front and 2 in the back?

Also,do any of you rate the Citroen C3 1.4's (any idea if they are 8v or 16v?)

Cheers

James
Citroen C3 comes from the same stable as Peugeot, Having driven 2 x 1.4 C3s ( early ones pre rev counter mod ) all I can say is I would rather have the 206.

If you do look at a 1.4 16 valve C3 / 206 anything Peugeot / Citroen with that engine fitted the first question is, Has the head gasket been replaced yet?

This ET3 lump is well known in the trade for blowing the head gasket.

The 1.4 8 valve TU3 engine on the other hand is virtually bullet proof apart from the Sagem coil pack fiasco.

Out of those 2 lumps I would go for the one thats nearly 20 years old in design & hasnt got the fancy VVT rubbish bolted on the top, pick the TU3 everytime.

Astra, 1.4 16 valve is a bit underpowered & needs loads of revs to get any where in a decent pace.

1.6 8 valve is the same ( apart from the loads of revs ) only benifit is if the cambelt breaks as this 8 valve is a safe engine & no valve bending will take place.

1.6 16 valve Astra is a much nicer day to day drive.
In the market for new car - please help - mare
We have a C3 1.4 petrol. It's 8v and has 75bhp.

The car is an SX and was £7,500 as an ex demo. CD player, Climate and big boot once you understand it's high rather than deep.

Flimsy trim, not suitable if you have kids, we have several bits of trim in the glovebox. Just really thoughtless design. Oh, and the gear stick is too short. It's also had some funny electrical episodes (unlocking itself, power steering going AWOL).

The engine is gutless, nearly dangerously so. I have a R reg Almera as my daily work car, also 1.4 but 16v and i think 90bhp. That flies in comparison.

Lovely car, great shape, lovely interior, comfy ride. It's just a shame that Citroen didn't unleash some kids on it as part of testing and it doesn't have a more powerful engine. Can't really recommend it.
Having driven 2 x C3 with the same TU3 powerplant & owning a 206 with the exact same TU3 lump I cant say its gutless.

It may only have 75 bhp but it certainly can fly along if you know how to drive it, even with my lead feet it still gives nearly 40 mpg.

C3 handling is worse then the 206, but thats more down to the C3 being a bit taller then anything to do with the chassis.
In the market for new car - please help - yorkiebar
If you are looking for a car to carry 4 adults around make sure you test drive any car with 4 adults and some luggage (shopping etc) to see how practical any car is.

Would suggest at least astra/focus size.
Having driven 2 x C3 with the same TU3 powerplant &
owning a 206 with the exact same TU3 lump I cant
say its gutless.
It may only have 75 bhp but it certainly can fly
along if you know how to drive it, even with my
lead feet it still gives nearly 40 mpg.

Hmm... perhaps i'm too used to a 16v car then. I must admit that my wife has no problem driving it and she drives as if she has a forcefield. It's alright when you're on a motorway, but uphill with a full load and climate on, the car really struggles. I do definitely find it has much less go than my older and lighter Almera. We get something like 34mpg out of it, but it's average journey is 3 miles each way.

More plus points for OP. The brakes on a C3 are excellent. Stops dead with minimum effort. The high driving position is great. The climate is really good and effective and will do the trick of warm air to the floor and cool to the face. The cooled glovebox is a nice touch. The inside and outside look fantastic to me.

As my earlier post, if they designed the trim with a bit more thought and the engine had a bit more go, I'd be happy with it.
How old is this C3?

Sounds like it has ABS, EBD & EBA with autowarn from the description of the brakes being excellent.

My 206 has that braking system, very impressive how quick & in such a short distance it can pull up in if needed.
Lee,

It's a 54reg, November 2004, but don't know the build date. It's a SX if that makes a difference. The brakes are really very windscreen-smackingly good.
Sounds like the later 3 part brake system to me, hazard lights come on as well if you hit brakes hard enough ;-)

Shocking how quick a little car can stop in when you need it too.
Here are the possible cars I have found so far. I am off to test drive some tomorrow (tuesday 2nd). If you can perhaps look them over and let me know if

a) they are worth it/not worth it
b) any bad things you notice that would put you off?
c) which ones in your opinion would you recommend?

www.win-drivers.co.uk/james/poss_cars.doc

Cheers

James
The C3 Exclusive you have there looks overpriced & its one of the very first C3s too.

Its very near new cambelt time as well but it does have the 1.6 lump going for it & it is the top spec model with all the toys.

The LX is pretty much poverty spec when parked next to a SX or Exclusive, Also no standard ABS on the LX of that age plus its only the 75 bhp TU3 lump ( still nippy but after driving the 1.6 version it would be slow )

How close is the local Citroen dealer for when the software throws a paddy?

Also make sure any Peugeot / Citroen your thinking about comes with both the keys & the important blue security code card ( theres no radio security code card needed on a C3 ) if the blue code card has had the silver panel scrathed off ask questions why!

Astra, make sure the aircon works on the test-drive because its a known mk4 Astra weakspot, Also an LS Astra didn't have ABS as standard fitment which puts me off.

Fiat, how close is the nearest dealer for when it goes wrong ( more often then the Citroens )

Nissan Almeras, Will be fine for years to come if looked after & shouldn't give any trouble.
Thanks - once again.

How about this? tinyurl.com/uzhe5 Link shortened using TinyURL - but the link links to a timed out session anyway... smokie

Note I'm way above my original £4,000 mark on most of these cars - but I can't find any that look suitable even before test driving them - plus I will at least get a bit back on Part exchange or private sale of my Corsa.

James
307, do yourself a favour, ask the lads in the workshop at a Peugeot main dealer what they think of them first ;-)

I wouldn't wish a 307 on anybody
So out of all the above you only recommend the Almera? If thats the case - why are there so many of the cars mentioned around and still on the road :S

Surely they can't ALL be that bad...

I mean, we are comparing the above cars to my current 1998 S-Reg 3dr Corsa B here...

Thanks

James
In the market for new car - please help - Xileno {P}
Autoexpress 2006 - 'The 307 has finished rock bottom of the reliability ranking for the second year running'

Oh dear, one to avoid then. I shall stick with my 205. Peugeot - sort it out.
Thanks - removed rapidly from shortlist then...
atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/dealerservices_photo...7

Any good? Its the 1.6 16v which I haven't found many of in the price range I'm looking at. Not bad mileage too...
In the market for new car - please help - Xileno {P}
If the mileage is genuine then it seems a good buy. I would want to know why it's so low mileage though, hopefully iy hasn't suffered from shopping car syndrome. (polite advice, use tinyurl to shorten your links...)
Doesnt look bad, mileage very low for the year, right engine though, has aircon, no ABS though, would need a cambelt as part of any deal.
The C3 is alright in a good spec ( SX or Exclusive long as it has ABS ) but do expect trips to the dealer for software updates & annoying niggles plus the chassis isnt anything special like PSA stuff of old.

The Astra is alright too & pretty good to drive, dodgy aircon is a well known weakspot on the mk4, but ABS wasn't standard on a lot of them & the 1.4 16 valve & 1.6 8 valve engines dont do the rest of the car justice, the 1.6 16 valve is the lump to pick.

Fiat, dont really know much about them to really comment.

Nissan Almera, this is a decent car before Renault started to ruin Nissans reputation, mainly driven by people who want a car that just keeps on going without too much fuss or excitement.

Pug 307, either ask the lads in the workshop down your local Peugeot dealership or do an internet search on reliability & ownership reviews, that should be enough to persuade you not to buy one.
As well as the C3 described above, i have a R reg Almera as a daily driver. Yes it's the old shape, but it's been fine since we bought in 1999. A couple of people on here have the newer Almeras and seem to be quite positive about them.

Plus you can park it anyway, and it won't get a second glance. No need for alarms etc!
In the market for new car - please help - y2k+4
If you really want an Astra, I'd say a 1.416v engine is perfectly acceptable - it's revvy, and much, much faster than the 1.4 unit found in Focus or Golf.

Got to say though, I think I'd still recommend the Almera over it.