LPG Problem. 2004 Jaguar X Type - Humperdink
I have recently had my car converted to run on LPG by a certified garage

the car is a 2004 jag x type 3 litre

the problem is

1) the engine cuts out very rarley when slowing down and generally after long journey

2) when switched over to petrol after running on gas there can be sudden power loss

garage has done 2 software upgrades

anyone any idea what problem could be?
LPG - mark25
1) the engine cuts out very rarley when slowing down and
generally after long journey

Look here for tips:

www.go-lpg.co.uk/hints.html

In particular the evaporator freezing. If the gas ECU is vacuum triggered, vac leaks can also cause problems like this.
2) when switched over to petrol after running on gas there
can be sudden power loss

This could be because one of the petrol injectors (or the fuel system in general) is leaking, so the fuel pressure is leaking away when the petrol system is not working.
LPG - Aprilia
>> 2) when switched over to petrol after running on gas
there
>> can be sudden power loss

Vapour in the fuel line due to heat soak?
LPG - Humperdink
What is heat soak?
LPG - Humperdink
Thanks for this,

just to clarify point 2

When the car has experienced power loss on fuel then if i restart the engine it works fine, and i have the petrol system checked by jaguar and there is nothing wrong with it and no fault have been recorded.

Kush
LPG - mark25
Thanks for this,
just to clarify point 2
When the car has experienced power loss on fuel then if
i restart the engine it works fine, and i have the
petrol system checked by jaguar and there is nothing wrong with
it and no fault have been recorded.
Kush

does the fault eventually clear itself if you keep driving?

Long shot: LPG systems load the electrical system of a car very heavily, maybe one of the electrical relays is getting hot when on LPG, and so has too high resistance when you first switch over to petrol. It could be worth taking the relevant (ecu, X-relief contact, etc) relays out and cleaning the contacts with something non-abrasive inside, if you're keen and interested in saving some money that is...
LPG - Humperdink
It only gets sorted if i stop the engine for a minute of so and restart it with the sytem manually switched to petrol

cheers
LPG - mark25
It only gets sorted if i stop the engine for a
minute of so and restart it with the sytem manually switched
to petrol
cheers

It's probably not fuel related then, stopping would not re-prime a fuel pipe for you....

I'd start with investigating the electrical system. In particular where it's been modified or had its load increased by the LPG instalation. Think X-relief contact relay, ignition switch, lambda probe changover relay, or fuel pump cuttof relay (if there is one added for the LPG)
LPG - Humperdink
Cheers for that Mark,

That would probably indicate why the engine sometimes cuts out at low speed on deceleration too, the system is under warranty i will go back to the garage with these findings.

Kush
LPG - Chuckie888
Which system is it?

Your stalling/bad idle problems are probably caused by something more basic like an inlet manifold air leak - did you check the installer put new OEM gaskets on? I had a conversion done and had the same problems, I told the LPG installer to check the inlet manifold for leaks but he insisted there were none. Eventually after half a dozen trips to Bradford, where they are based, and numerous 'adjustments' he agreed to take a look and suprise, suprise he found a split gasket. The car was returned with gaskets of such poor quality, I don't know where he obtained them from and instant gasket smeared everywhere. Still stalls occasionally which is down right dangerous as you loose PAS etc. LPG Association seem to be next to useless. Will just have to bite the bullet and buy some OEM gaskets and get the work done myself. Good luck.
LPG - Humperdink
Thanks for this Chuckie

i have a BRC system,

Did yours stall on deceleration?

after long journeys did it loose power when switching to petrol?

have you thought about taking this to small claims court?

Kush
LPG - Chuckie888
Yes, it's an auto and stalls on deceleration. Fitter reckoned it was a 'lazy' oxygen sensor, updated the software, but there's not much difference. I don't switch to petrol often, so can't help on second point. I don't think it's worth the time and effort of a small claims court case. I will just have a vaccum guage put on the inlet manifold to check for leaks and get new gaskets - probably £150, then buy another diesel next time.
LPG - Humperdink
Hi Guys

thanks for all your help, garage finally got this sorted and threw in a free service to make up for inconvenience!

Turns out sorftware was faulty so the deleted it all and reinstalled it, also fuel pressure sensor was faulty so it would loose power on petrol replace that now i have a 3.0 V6 with bags of power that does 230 miles on 20 pounds worth of fuel!!

Well worth it

Kush