Driven - Chris M
Just watched Driven. Good programme, but was Mike Brewer suggesting we should overtake just before a motorway exit, then cut in. Surely he should be encouraging us to stay put behind the lorry and wait for the exit. Even though this would mean us arriving at our destination 0.5 seconds late. But at least we would arrive!

Chris M
Re: Driven - Neil Banfield
As a lorry driver, people carve me up constantly!
Re: Driven - Mark
I saw this too and was disappointed. Driven's previous "time exposed to danger" test was a normal overtaking manoeuver, simulating that on a single-carriageway road where you have limited visibility to overtake a lorry - fair enough.

But you are right that this new test seems to condone the ludicrous activity of overtaking lorries just before pulling off the motorway.

Of course, the new Driven test misses out on what the "standard" motorway behaviour is, which is (of course) to stay in lane 4 (if available) until 100 yards before the junction and then pull across 3 lanes of traffic to pull off at the junction.
Re: Driven - Alwyn
How many are finding this programme spoiled by Mr Brewers apparent inability to say th.

Fink
Mercedes Benz Free Twenty
Annuvver
Smoove
Two fousand and free

Once it clicks in the brain, it overpowers all else.

Is this what is known as "Estuary English"?
Re: Driven - Tomo
I wish you had not told us that, Alwyn. My old ears had not been really bothered more than by all rest of the mumbled speech which is inflicted upon us, but now I will hear nothing else either.

It is a curious thing, but when one of these old British pictures is on, with John Gielgud, Laurence Olivier and the like, I can understand every word. But such posh would not be allowed on the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation now!

Personally, I have three languages, Gilmorehill (akin to Morningside, for unfortunates in the Peoples' Anti Motoring Republic of Edinburgh), Glesca and Bad.

(Clue: A creche is a motor eccident in Morningside.)

Being British, although having gained a medal for Modern Languages at school I can understand scarcely a word of them now! Not that we ever "did" Japanese anyway, to understand a publication which came with Toad.

Out for Sunday lunch now. We are being taken out, indeed, Driven. I wonder, is it safe to signal defeat (i.e. reversed Victory) to the constabulary as a passenger?!

Cheers and beers, or indeed Burgundy, hopefully.

Tomo
Re: Driven - Alwyn
Tomo,

Yes I used to watch the "Two Fat Ladies" cooking just to soak in their classy accents. It's nice to hear. My waif has relatives who attended Oxford University (if we can call the many colleges one University ) and it is a constant treat to listen to them chatter. Not snooty, just well spoken.

In my earlier days with the Electricity Board I used to meet many and varied speech types. Having a feeble brain, I would often find myself adjusting my chatter/accent to match the other person.

I also speak fluent Scouse and am surprised, being Welsh, to be told that I have a Wirral accent, whatever that is? Deep Tarporley Cheshire is nice to hear too.

Take care
Re: Driven - Tomo
Alwyn,

I was with SSEB HQ, Cathcart House, Transmission Design. I was not popular one day in the canteen correction restaurant when I asked, if IRA blew all of us - and there were plenty - up, who would go off supply?

Perhaps that is part of why I was retired early, a very kind form of redundancy!

We had a lot of people from all over, which led one of our more extreme Scots to assert SSEB stood for Social Security for English B******s!

Me, I'm British, born and resident in Scotland - or perhaps stateless under present regimes.

To keep on topic, some of us got to drive an early electric van one day. Not all coped, as it only had full noise (snail like!) half noise or nil. I was fine, as I usually only drove pedal down or pedal up anyway.

As it turned out I did not get Burgundy, but Chateauneuf-du-Pape was fine.

Best regards,

TomoAlwyn wrote:
>
> Tomo,
>
> Yes I used to watch the "Two Fat Ladies" cooking just to soak
> in their classy accents. It's nice to hear. My waif has
> relatives who attended Oxford University (if we can call the
> many colleges one University ) and it is a constant treat to
> listen to them chatter. Not snooty, just well spoken.
>
> In my earlier days with the Electricity Board I used to meet
> many and varied speech types. Having a feeble brain, I would
> often find myself adjusting my chatter/accent to match the
> other person.
>
> I also speak fluent Scouse and am surprised, being Welsh, to
> be told that I have a Wirral accent, whatever that is? Deep
> Tarporley Cheshire is nice to hear too.
>
> Take care
Re: Driven - Guy Lacey
Growing up in Somerset and then moving to London and then back to Somerset I am mildly amused by our dialect down "yer" -

e.g. "youz got'n where-e cassn't back'n assn't" - translated into the Queen's English as "You have that where you can't reverse it haven't you?"
Re: Electricity Board employees - jack
It seems there are a lot of ex-ESI (Elec Supply Industry) people on this forum. I believe one regular (John S aka John Slaughter) is a current ESI employee.
Re: Electricity Board employees - John S
Jack

Not directly employed these days, although the majority of my work is for the ESI. I'm actually ex CEGB/National Power.

Worked for CEGB - SE region, Grain, various posts in London, then NP at Swindon.

Left 1999, and now working as a consultant.

Regards

John