Why... (squealing belt related) - David Horn
... does a squealing auxiliary belt only squeal in 1st and 2nd gear, not in 3rd or with the clutch in? Even when creeping along with the engine idleing from cold, putting my foot on the clutch stops the squealing. Thought about posting in Technical but think there's a an element of philosophical discussion here.

Ta,

David.
Why... (squealing belt related) - mjm
If that really is happening, in my opinion it isn't the auxiliary belt, it's the clutch release bearing. It probably stops squealing by the time you reach 3rd because it's warmed up a bit!
Why... (squealing belt related) - Ruperts Trooper
Logical diagnosis is failing clutch release bearing but I've known them last 50k sounding like that on Vauxhalls!
Hmm. Never considered the clutch, but I'd hedge my bets on it being the belt because it also squeals when the wheel is turned when it's cold, and you can here it squeaking away quietly just after starting the engine. Is there a simple and lazy way to stop the belt squealing for a short time so I can try it tomorrow morning when the engine's cold?
Why... (squealing belt related) - Dynamic Dave
Is there a simple and lazy way to stop the belt squealing for a short time

Talc.
Why... (squealing belt related) - Cliff Pope
One squirt from a can of Halfords nylon and rubber lubricant.
Why... (squealing belt related) - Mapmaker
Fit a new one. 5 minute job on many cars.
Why... (squealing belt related) - hillman
Be very careful to positively identify the cause of the squeal. I once had the same and it turned out to be the idlers for the timing belt. When the car was started the idlers were cold and jammed. When the engine had run for a couple of minutes the friction of the belt sliding over the idlers heated them up and freed them to an extent. If one of my neighbours hadn't diagnosed the cause I would shortly have been landed with a ginormous bill.
Why... (squealing belt related) - Birdman
It's that time of year - dark and cold - when the auxilliaries are drawing power from the alternator. Since in winter the belt is cold and stiff, like a cold tyre it doesn't grip well. So it slips until warmed up by friction and engine heat.
Acceleration of the drive pulley (rate of increase of rpm) from idle revs is greatest when pulling off in first and second gears so slipping is also at a maximum. Once the engine is running at its normal operating revs the acceleration-load of the auxilliary units reduces, the load on the belt reduces, and so does the amount of slipping.
That's my reading. Of course, it may not have anything to do with the actual cause of your squealing noise. But when the dark, cold weather descends on us each year, the sound of slipping belts crescendos!
Why... (squealing belt related) - mk124
I have a 10 year old Clio (had for 4.5 years) and I am not sure whether it is on its orginal cambelt and has done 64,000 miles. It sounds like I need to sort the cambelt out ASAP!!

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Shoddy experimenting on my part, I'm afraid. The only reason the squealing goes when you change gear is 'cos the revs drop! Tried it stationary in neutral and it did the same thing. *looks sheepish*

Definitely the belt.
Why... (squealing belt related) - jase1
Is there a reason why, whenever I hear a squealing fanbelt, it always turns out to be an ageing Ford or Vauxhall lumbering down the road? Why do these cars seem to be more prone to the problem than most?
Why... (squealing belt related) - Lud
If it is an auxiliary belt (and not sticking idler tensioner wheels for the cambelt, in which case DO SOMETHING NOW), there are only two reasons why it would squeal. One is a failing water pump/steering pump/alternator becoming stiff to turn (immediate action!) and the other is that owing to wear or age the belt has got loose and needs tensioning (immediate action).

I hear cars making this noise all the time and always wonder idly why the driver doesn't do something about it.
Lud - it's squealing because it was changed 6 months ago and has slackened off a bit. Tensioners and waterpump were changed at the same time - though since water pump is driven from cambelt it's a moot point really. :)

Can't do anything about it right now because the garage that did the work is in Devon and I'm in Leeds.
Why... (squealing belt related) - mfarrow
Tried it stationary in neutral and it did the
same thing. *looks sheepish*

Don't worry David, you're not going mad, it happens to me too.

I can't explain it either. As you say, it doesn't do it at all in neutral or when you change up above 2nd. It must be revs related somehow, maybe acceleration of engine?

--------------
Mike Farrow
Why... (squealing belt related) - Robin Reliant
My belts were all changed earlier this year and the alternator belt is now howling when cold. Simple job, methinks, the thing is easily accessable at the top ot the engine. Quick look at the Haynes to check for any pitfalls and the damn thing has to be adjusted from underneath. The 1010 bolt undertray has to first be removed and the car ramped because their is no room to crawl under modern cars anyway, so it can howl a bit longer till the oil change is due when the garage can do it - because to change the oil the 1010 bolt undertray has to be removed...

Never had this problem with my Capri.
--