Peugeot 406 HDI Key not working - walter plinge
Hi,
I have two keys for my 2000 'x' 406 HDI. One of these is a remote key which works fine, the other a non-remote key.
Locking and Unlocking the car is fine using the remote, but both keys, when used manually, are getting harder and harder to lock or unlock the car. Takes a few minutes of 'wiggling' to get the key to turn. Also, key sometimes turns around and around in lock without engaging mechanism. This is happening to both doors!
Any advice / clues as to what might be the problem?

Also, I am looking at getting a new (second hand) remote key fob from ebay which I intend to program to my car. This means that I will have three keys! Can I replace the metal key part on the remote fob that I intend to buy with my non-remote metal key. I am getting rather confused with what I can and can't do with a second hand remote key fob.

Lastly, I asked my local pug dealership haw much a new remote key would be and they said £100. I have the original credit card sized card which I believe has the details on, and I am astounded at how much a new key is. Does £100 sound right?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Peugeot 406 HDI Key not working - Frogeye
Had the same problems, WD40 cured the key turning in the lock problem.
£100 about right. Remember there are 3 parts you have to satisfy. 1) the metal key, 2) immobiliser chip, 3) remote key.
2 and 3 are programming issues.
Hi Frogeye,

Thanks for the reply. I will spray wd40 into the locks and leave overnight. I'll let you know how I got on.

Regards,

wally.
Peugeot 406 HDI Key not working - Dynamic Dave
And once you've loosened the lock up with wd-40, then take note of Cyd's suggestion in the following thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8483
Peugeot 406 HDI Key not working - pmh
Powdered graphite (in a little puffer), my last supply came for free from a locksmith after a key he cut proved to be a bit 'iffy'. Solved the problem and has worked on other problems since.

--

pmh (was peter)

Thanks guys,
I have just wd40'd the car. Whilst out on the driveway, I tried the keys in the boot lock for possibly the first time in 6 months - the boot lock works fine which indicates keys are fine. I will invest in something more substantial than wd40 for long term use. Thanks for the link and advice.
Regards,
wally.