A mysterious problem - BMW - CJay{P}
The car ? 2003, 318Ci

This morning (1 o?clock in the morning) driving down the M1 from London, the engine dies just after J9 - was in 4th gear, 40mph. Tried to start it several times, the engine turns but doesn?t start. More than ½ tank of fuel in the car. We call the breakdown service. Wait for perhaps 25 minutes. My wife tells me, let?s try to start it again ? turn the ignition once, the engine fires. We ask the breakdown to not to come as the car seems to be running ok. We drive a further 70 miles up the M1 and reach home - absolutely no problems ? BUT the DSC warning light stays on, all the way.

This afternoon. I start the car. It starts no problems. NO warning lights whatsoever. I drive for perhaps a mile up the road. Kill the engine. Start it again, come home. 50 yards from home, the engine dies. Same problem, it will not start but the engine turns over.

What is wrong with my car?

Cam sensor? I had the problem with an earlier car 2001 car ? but in that one, the engine would stop. But it would always start every time the ignition is turned.

Any help greatly appreciated.
A mysterious problem - BMW - Aprilia
Very strange because I can't think of a connection between DSC and engine controls. DSC used abs sensors, lateral acceleration sensor etc - nothing to do with engine.
I would have thought of fuel pump relay. Could be cam or crank sensor..... Really I think you are going to have to get fault codes read.
A mysterious problem - BMW - Screwloose
Aprilia

I wonder if the DSC light came up for a "low ECU supply voltage" code caused by all that roadside cranking? It seems to have cleared the light after just one "full battery" start cycle.

The base fault could be many things; but there have been fuel-pump issues on these that fit the symptoms. Reading the engine and DSC codes will be necessary before doing anything.
A mysterious problem - BMW - Pugugly {P}
The one problem I had with my diesel E39 was in it refusing to let me in one day whilst parked at a Police Station. Called BMW assist, by the time they arrived I had gained access and eventually got it started. It never happened again in my ownership or with the current owner. I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago with my current car, again at a Polic station but this time parked next to a Police car. The first site had a giant transmitter/receiver mast and BMW put it down to a zapped ECU. The last issue on a different car was put down to Airwave transmission - a long way of asking whether you were near a mast or not.
A mysterious problem - BMW - elekie&a/c doctor
I think possible crank sensor fault on this.These late E46 4 cylinder models (valvetronic engine)seem to be dogged with electrical/sensor faults.No end of faults with cam/crank sensors,pencil coils by the dozen and the electronic cam variator.Replacement of crank/flywheel sensor requires removal of inlet manifold.hth
A mysterious problem - BMW - Pugugly {P}
Arrgh above should read E46.
Aprilia
I wonder if the DSC light came up for a "low
ECU supply voltage" code caused by all that roadside cranking?
It seems to have cleared the light after just one "full
battery" start cycle.

Yes, that seems the most likely explanation.
An update - tried to start the car late evening, now it will not start at all.
when you turn the ignition, normally all warning lights dissappear. Now the DSC and the EMI yellow warning lights stay on.

So, do you think I should first try and charge the battery and try once again? Really don't facny visiting the dealer!
A mysterious problem - BMW - Screwloose
Cjay

You could try and get a mobile code-reader to come and scan it. Ask your local motor factors if they know anyone with suitable gear.

Or do you have home-start cover? Most breakdown guys have a scanner.
My breakdown cover people were only too eager to take the car away - as soon as I described the problem they said that they will send a low loader to take the car away.

An update. The car went to the dealer, as suspected it was a faulty cam sensor. The call came saying that the cost to put it right is £393.00 - well, my wife needs the car and so said yes go ahead and repair. Picking the car up in the evening.
The call came saying that the
cost to put it right is £393.00

Ouch! That's expensive!
Sorry, made a mistake with the cost. It was 'only' £304.00.

The componet was only £35.80 - the rest labour. They had even charged for the road test!

I think I should buy a OBD reader and try and learn to use some spanners. Aprilia, a question for you - working on engines, is it a bit like doing DIY stuff around the house - ie, if you have the right tools, with confidence and time you can do 'almost' anything? Are BMW engines any more difficult compared to other engines?
You can get a simple code reader for about £50.

BMW engines are pretty straighforward and sensibly designed - I have worked on plenty and have had few problems - the north-south powertrain layout means things are not too cramped.

I've worked on cars for about 35 years - I can remember changing the plugs on an Austin A35! So its difficult for me to give a perspective. You need the right tools, light and somewhere 'covered' and dry to work. A lift or pit also helps.
I would say many jobs (e.g. plugs, alt belt, brake pads etc) are easy if you have the correct tools. A lot of it is down to experience though - like how to takcle rusty fastners on a turbo in a cramped location. Sensor replacements (like on the BMW) are pretty straightforward.

The worst cars are FWD turbo's - very crampled and akward and also FWD with a V6 (e.g. V6 Espace - an unholy nightmare).
Aprilia, thank you very much - as ever you are a fountain of knowledge - both theoretical and practical.

Presumably something like this is a good tool?
www.peakeresearch.com/code_tool.htm