1996 A4 Audi Tdi Starting - hm
Hi all,

My wife A4 tdi has a slight starting issue...for some reason the glow plugs do not stay 'on' or long enough....the light goes out very quickly (when the light goes out 12V is cut imediatly to the plugs).

I know there must be somekind of relay or something but I can find it in the haynes manual.

Can anyone help? thanks

H
1996 A4 Audi Tdi Starting - Screwloose
hm

The earlier type of TDi requires precise electronic adjustment of the injection pump timing for optimal cold starting. Find someone with the right scanning equipment and get them to check the pump timing is correct. If it isn't; it can be easily adjusted on the slotted holes in the pump's drive pulley.

If this is an AFN code engine; [there are 7 non-PD 1.9 TDi's] then the plugs are timed by the engine ECU using data from the [often unreliable] engine coolant temperature sensor. The glowplug relay is merely a slave actuator of the ECU. Up to 20 seconds pre-glow is possible. While checking the timing, a live-data check of the coolant sensor's accuracy might be wise too.
screwloose,

Thanks for the info, this is 1Z engine (which I think is a AFN). I have VAG lead.

If I disconnect the coolant temp, will that make the car think it is COLD, and therefore make the plugs stay on for the full 20sec's?

I guess I should plug in my VAG and then see what temp the coolant temp is actually reading when compared to the ambient temperature (in the morning of course before starting)

Where abouts is the coolent temp?

Thanks
h
hm

If you've got VAG-Com, then you should be able to check the pump timing yourself. The 1Z is a version of the AHU engine. Disconnecting the coolant temp sensor gives the maximum glow period, but checking it's reading in live data is the best option.

You should find it clipped into a coolant fitting at the rear of the head. It's got a coloured band and a square 4-pin plug on it.
sweet deal sir.....

Does my AHU engine use the pump timing then to determine the starting? or is it the coolant temp?
1996 A4 Audi Tdi Starting - adverse camber
How do you know the glow plugs are not staying on long enough ? They dont need to be on long. How cold and how long ?
I have a very nice multimeter.....
hm

Sorry to be slow in replying; having an ongoing [8-week] "new phoneline" nightmare! Broadband activation just took the whole line out for two days....

The coolant sensor affects the length of glow-plug operation; but I find the commonest cause of poor cold starting on non-PD TDi's [with working glow-plugs] is incorrect pump timing. If the plugs are on for more than around five seconds, then that's probably enough for them to reach full temperature.

Have you measured the pre-start glow period - with and without the coolant sensor connected? Are all the glow-plugs servicable? As you had the means to determine that the plugs are going off with the light, do you have a basic multimeter to check individual plug resistance? [Or a laser thermometer?]
screwloose,

I have not had time to look at the car......the plugs stay on for about 4/5seconds, but the car is still very lumpy at starting.

She has brand new Bosch Datrumn Plugs fitted...I have used these on many cars and swear by them.

How easy is it to alter the pump timing....is running the incorrect timing dangerous for the car? how do I check with VAG?

Thanks

H
hm

If the plugs are new and you have doubts about the pre-glow duration; then try heating the plugs twice before starting and see if that makes any improvement.

I know VAG-Com can check pump timing; but as it's not a program that I've personally used for the purpose, consult the manual for exact details. Altering the pump timing is done by loosening the 3 pump-to-cambelt-pulley bolts and experimenting with settings until a perfect reading is obtained. The electronic timing is extremely precise and even if it's slightly wrong, I've never seen it cause any harmful effects.
1996 A4 Audi Tdi Starting - v8man
Please don't start fiddling with the pump timing if you don't what you are doing. You can do a lot of damage to an expensive pump. These are very precise bits of kit!
Why would the pump timing suddenly be out? Unless it has been played with or something has come loose it is not likely to be this. The glowplug duration is taken care of by the ECU with the coolant temp. sensor being one of the inputs.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
V8 man

Electronic timing on these [and many other diesel VAG models] is merely a cam-belt pulley adjustment. It doesn't involve touching the pump at all. It should always be checked after replacing the belt, as mechanical [locking pin] setting isn't accurate enough for these engines.