How does your car cost per month? - stunorthants
This is taking into account the purchase price ( spread out over how long you have had the car if you already own it entirely or the repayments if your on finance ), servicing and repairs, plus insurance and fuel.

My Mazda 323 costs me:

To buy: £25 pm

Insurance: £28 pm

Repairs/servicing: £67 pm

Fuel: £50 pm

Tax: £11 pm

How does your car cost per month? - Dipstick
Let's just say that whereas your bill adds up to £181, mine is a rather eye-watering £530.

How does your car cost per month? - Altea Ego
Purchase: Nothing
Depreciation: Nothing
RFL: Nothing
Servicing: Nothing
Insurance: Nothing
Income Tax: £120
Fuel: £50

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How does your car cost per month? - mini 30 owner
Interesting! How come so cheap?
How does your car cost per month? - rtj70
Assume TVM's Touran is a company vehicle and so is my Mondeo Ghia TDCi... so similar figures

Income Tax: £115 (it's a euro 4 diesel pre 2006 so no 3% BIK)
Fuel: £100pm (depends on how far I drive in a month but assume 12ppm and 10k pa)

of course the private fuel will be the same as if I had a private vehicle. But I could take the allowance if i wanted but choose not to.
Ahhh! I see, ta very much

You've got to factor in that you have a cost to your salary I guess then - no such thing as a free lunch and all that
How does your car cost per month? - Armitage Shanks {p}
What about depreciation - the biggest cost of all?
Don't. That brings mine to nearer £800.
How does your car cost per month? - Lud
I don't want to know. Not all that much though by BR standards :-o)
it's been a useful exercise though. Definitely made me think about it. Lumme!

How does your car cost per month? - local yokel
RFL £14.60

Depreciation - Ranges from £70/month (if it's dead tomorrow) to a more realistic £35, assuming it lasts another year

Repairs/MoT - allow £25/month

Finance/loan - nil/nothing/zilch/zero

fuel/mile - £0.10/mile in the UK, £0.08/mile in France

405 TD estate, in case you are wondering.
How does your car cost per month? - apm

Tax: £0

Depreciation: £0

Servicing/ repairs: £25

Fuel: £45ish

Insurance: £12

Total: £82

Depreciation is zero, as I anticipate that I'll get back pretty much for the car what I paid for it. As a pre-1972, no RFL is payable. Insurance on a limited mileage classic policy is peanuts (with the car garaged). Servicing I do largely myself, parts coming from the MGOC or autojumbles.

Love it!!

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
How does your car cost per month? - geoff1248
I wonder how much of this expense is by way of tax in one form or another. In my 40 years of driving I reckon I must have paid for a fair few miles of the A1.
How does your car cost per month? - Stuartli
>>In my 40 years of driving I reckon I must have paid for a fair few miles of the A1.>>

Mine goes back 50 years (if you include my then moped!).

The then government based its planned outlay on the building of the M6 on its income from my motoring taxes in forthcoming years.

I also played a big role in providing one of the wings for the new local hospital.......
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Bargain!

Would you recommend either the MGB GT or Midget as a practical, useable, everyday classic for someone who couldn't do their own servicing?
Sorry - my MGB question was meant to appear after 'apm's post.
How does your car cost per month? - apm
Hi Mini 30 owner,

I'd say that any 60s or 70s MG would be a practical useable classic, but no more so than equivalent triumphs and others- all a question of what appeals to you, and what your requirements are. I needed the GT (over the roasdter or a midget), as I play golf & cricket. I'd suggest you buy a classic car mag (recommend practical classics), see what you like the look of. Then find the requisite owners' club website and do some digging. There are some very attractive classics that are rarer, but you don't get the spares support that goes with MG or Triumph.

If you can't do your own servicing, then I'd recommend a) choose the best car you can find (ie with least problems)- if you're not hot on checking cars, get an expert to- put a question onto the owners' club forum, a local kind soul might offer to help, and b) find a good local garage for taking care of things. I'm very lucky- I've had my GT since January, and nothing's gone wrong...yet (touches wood) & she sailed through the MOT. Although being fair, she does still have one of the small problems it had when I bought it (driver's door won't lock from the outside- must get around to fixing that...)

Problem with any old car, is that things will go wrong (I'm pleasantly surprised that my GT has been so reliable!). Be prepared for this! If you have curiosity, then maybe see what you can learn. It's all pretty simple technology, compared to new cars. And can be very satisfying (as well as frustrating...).

Hope this helps,

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
How does your car cost per month? - mare
I totted mine up and it's about £175 per month plus depreciation. Car was worth a grand a year ago, it probably still is. So £175 per month over all!
I totted mine up and it's about £175 per month plus
depreciation. Car was worth a grand a year ago, it probably
still is. So £175 per month over all!

Not quite 'underclass' then mare! I agree with you about this morally and philosophically dubious term, although it is so insulting that it can spring to mind under some circumstances... pity PG shut us down yesterday for never mentioning cars (apart from Lud the OP actually) before we could get on to that one. The term appeared somewhere on the forum yesterday, but I couldn't find it when I looked. And it appeared in today's Telegraph too, in a piece about, wait for it, white working-class youth...

Speaking of which, don't know why people mind David Beckham having a hummer with big wheels. He can afford it. Perhaps they envy him for being, as Julie Burchill triumphantly pointed out, beautiful, talented and very successful.
How does your car cost per month? - mare
underclass, me? Probably by several people's defintions.

Anyway, about £100-120 per month of my monthly cost (swiftly dragging it back to motoring) is fuel. The car (Almera) is serviced once a year and tax and insured. And that's it. For £60 per month plus fuel. £3 per working day.

What's the record so far? I saw £900 per month somewhere. Ouch!
How does your car cost per month? - Pica
Over the first 2 years of its life £496 without depreciation a whopping £912 with Depreciation - Outragious
How does your car cost per month? - RichardW
Mine is looking about £300 / month - but that is dominated by the £200 / month I spend on diesel :-(( So over 2 years, and 44,000 miles this Xantia (cost £1250 to buy, probably going for a song next month) has cost me 16.4p/mile - which is pretty close to my long term average target of 16p / mile. Let's hope the next one is on target too (good start by saving £50 / month in diesel.....!)
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
How does your car cost per month? - barchettaman
What´s on your list for the Xantia replacement Richard? Another one?
How does your car cost per month? - RichardW
Yep, HDi 110 - looking a couple over the weekend hopefully. They really are criminally cheap now - 70k, one owner for about £2k.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
How does your car cost per month? - SpamCan61 {P}
My 2litre Omega works out at 350 quid a month, looks better calculated per mile, as I do 30K per year.
How does your car cost per month? - Jonathan {p}
My Mazda costs me (monthly)

£40 insurance
£14.5 road fund licence
£0 depreciation as I am not putting money aside for a replacement, if it blows, I'll just buy another car for £1500 - this one has lasted me over 3 years and is still worth about 5-700.
£25/month running costs (tyres etc)

£50 petrol

I could have a Mazda6 TS2 diesel estate lease car through work which would cost about £200 all in (except fuel), but it isn't worth it yet.
How does your car cost per month? - barchettaman
For the Astra, excluding depreciation, 22.6p/mile, 8k miles P.A.
150 quid / 200 euro a month.
Ah well, it´s only money, eh.
How does your car cost per month? - Stuartli
It's probably cheaper to use a taxi...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How does your car cost per month? - oldtoffee
Finance 237
Insurance 28
Road Tax 14
Servicing and tyres 50
Diesel 230 (at todays prices)
Depreciation 250
Total 809 a month (gulp) = 33p a mile
Business mileage allowance 541
Monthly car allowance (net of tax) 360
Nett "gain" £92 per month (could go negative if I haven't factored in enough depreciation but not too worried).
Car is a Fabia vRS, like it a lot but would swap it for a BMW 330d if I could cover it but can't!

How does your car cost per month? - cjehuk
Purchase: £500

Insurance: £53

Repairs: £12

Fuel: £80

Tax: £9.50

Total = £655

But in reality it's costing me about 38p a mile to run if I account for depreciation and all costs since new. Hardly terrible. If I leased the same car and only paid fuel and insurance I'd be looking at nearly that much just in leasing costs.
I wonder how many of you spend more paying for running your car than paying a morgage?
Sounds like it could be possible with some of the cars!

Im lucky that I have no morgage :-) - theres nothing like owning your own home at 26, so I better start saving for one of these cars Ive always wanted!
How does your car cost per month? - jase1
2001 Hyundai Accent: Depreciation <£20 (the car has hit the magic £1000 mark, and won't go down significantly in the next few years).
Insurance: £30 :(
Fuel: £100
Servicing/repairs: going on the last couple of years, probably £15 for MOT/service only....... OK maybe £25 tops.

Total £170.
Yes, my mortgage is only £100 per month more than the car! (accounting for depreciation in addition to costs) - I have never looked at this calculation before and it is horrifying.

I have also worked out tht the depreciation on all the cars I have owned over the last 10 years is £64000 and my brother in law (Audi mad ) has lost just over £100,000 in 10 years. My father who was far more responsible and did'nt give a hoot about cars lost £8000 in 10 years.

No more wasting money for us!

Imagine if you had put some of the £64,000 into a house instead? That makes it even more scary!

Makes it seem worth looking at all car expenses and seeing where you can save - over a year it can really add up. Over ten years, as you say, scary.

How does your car cost per month? - Falkirk Bairn
For the last 10 years I have taken a car allowance rather than a Company Car.

Current car is 5.5 yrs old and has been paid for entirely from the Monthly allowances - in fact car made a profit over the 3 yrs including the HP payments.

Being now retired my car expenses monthly are

Depreciation £0 - already paid for by former employers
RFL £17
Ins £19 (fiully comp Group 10 car - it sometimes pays to be older)
Fuel £60
Repairs/Servicing £35 - to inc tyres / exhaust (repairs are next to zero in whole 5 years well £200= £40/yr) Honda reliability!!

Buying (on HP) and having an asset after 5 years is much better than leasing and having no car after all payments are made.
My research has uncovered that on average over the last 40 years house prices have doubled every 10 years so my £64K would now be worth £128K - I am gutted and can't believe how stupid I have been. I was going to change my diesel Accord next year as it will be coming up to 3 years old and 30K on the clock but how stupid is that? It will ow be run into the ground
How does your car cost per month? - JH
I have got my head in the sand and I'm shouting LA LA LA LA as loud as I possibly can. :-)

JH
I think id be burying my head in the sand if id lost 60 grand on cars - taking into account even moderate house value rises, its a loss of £90,000 easily on a cars vs property investment basis.

Obviously you may want a car, but careful choosing could make for a far more comfortable retirement if you choose carefully over your entire working life.

Is it less common to keep a car for a decent length of time nowadays, such as ten years?
I cant say ive ever kept a car for more than three since I started driving and Im now considering buying a car to keep for a ten year period.
How does your car cost per month? - jase1
It's all this keeping up with image + needing the latest toys etc etc etc. I'll be keeping both my cars until they fall apart, don't see any reason why not to.

Thing is you get bored with a car after about 2 years -- if you can discipline yourself and resist the temptation to upgrade, by the time 4 years comes along you've become attached to the old jalopy and then it's hard to let go -- and that's a good thing.
How does your car cost per month? - BobbyG
It is no secret that running cars is a costly business. However to start comparing the depreciation to how a house would have grown in value is taking things a bit too far.

Yes its an eye opened but how much of that cost has been for your enjoyment? How much of it was, in your eyes, an acceptable cost for the experience it gave you?

Do you come back from your summer holiday and say that it was 2 grand down the drain as all you have to show for it is some photos, memories and tacky gifts? Or do you say that it was worth it?

I agree though, the figures are eye-openers. I usually trade my car in after 3 years so that I have a car covered by warranty and so that I have a relatively newish car. Since I was 21 i have always been paying roughly 200 quid a month for car finance. If I went any length of time without paying a loan, then I, or more likely SWMBO, would find another use for the money!

But, in some ways, it is pouring money straight down the drain!
Its mearly comparing what the money could have been spent on - so its hardly a stretch. My votes going on property.

If you buy a car you like in the first place, no need to change it.

I cannot imagine spending 2 grand on a holiday! What a waste!

How does your car cost per month? - PoloGirl
Had my Golf since July now, so I can definitely say it's saved me money:

Tax: £0 (I get about 11p per business mile back, which cancels out the £20 or so tax I pay)

Depreciation: £0 (I'm giving it back in four years, or less if I get bored and have a spare £800 to get out of the lease)

Servicing/ repairs: £0

Fuel: Depends where I go. Over the year it probably averages out at about £100

Insurance: £34

Lease: £92

Total: £226... most importantly, a lot less than Polo did!
How does your car cost per month? - MichaelR
Hmmm, my 530i Sport..

Insurance: Circa £85 a month
Tax: £16 a month
Servicing: Circa £15-20 a month added up I guess..
Tyres: Roughly £20 a month of I split it up I guess..
Fuel: £££ don't even ask :(
Depreciation: Neither know, nor care. It'll go when I can afford an M5, and given I've still got 2 years until I finish Uni, thats not happening for many years. By which time I won't care what its worth.
Modifcations: Ask me in a few months, I fear this might be quite big :p

Is it worth it? Damn right it is.
Cars are expensive.

They started as rich gents' toys and then evolved into cheap copies of those.

Now we have all got to be cheap copies of rich gents, paying like them er, through the nose.

End of story for us, but alas, the world now runs on a cocktail of fluids including crude oil and our lifeblood, or money anyway.

We have been led into this by imperceptible degrees. It seems reasonable almost, until you think about it.

All the same, while knowing all this, I still like the automobile in all its forms.

Round the bend? You betcha!
How does your car cost per month? - Blue {P}
Think mine costs about £400 in running costs, i.e. fuel, insurance, tax and servicing.

I haven't included purchase costs which were about £6,200 and then there's the depreciation which is probs around £100 per month.

Worth every penny!

Blue
How does your car cost per month? - Jamesh266
Depreciation £34.17
Tax £9.17
Insurance £17.50
Fuel £320.00
Maintenance £41.00
Total £422.50, or about 18 pence per mile.

20000 of the 28000 that the car does each year are business miles, for which I get an average of £425 per month, so the car earns me £2.50 a month.

I'm sure there's a flaw in the logic somewhere, but I'm feeling quite smug at the moment. If there is a prize for cheapskate of the year I think I've won.
How does your car cost per month? - ffidrac {P}
My Yaris:

To buy: £168 every 4 weeks (HP)

Insurance: £23 pm

Repairs /servicing :TBA (give us a chance only had it 6 weeks/2500 miles!)

Fuel: £50ish pm

Tax: £0
How does your car cost per month? - L'escargot
To do it properly you should really include loss of income on the initial outlay. If you didn't have a car the money could be earning interest.
--
L\'escargot.
How does your car cost per month? - Statistical outlier
Finance: £438
Insurance: £58
Maintenance: £55
Fuel: £150
Road tax: £10

So all in all a rather staggering £711. Having said that, the fiinance costs will go away after 4 years, and I expect the car to last a lot longer than that, so it's not quite as painful as it seems.

Still a bit shocking though, and should serve as a warning to anyone who leases a car based on circumstances that aren't quite finalised. I've got an amazing deal for what I needed then. Shame it's not what I need now, and also rather a shame that the broker I used was less than accurate about both my ability to change lease terms mid-lease (move to longer lease on lower mileage), and my ability to get a settlement figure. Never again.
How does your car cost per month? - Xileno {P}
Some of these figures are shocking, why do people do it? Almost like having a second mortgage.

Buy second hand and smile :-)
How does your car cost per month? - Statistical outlier
I can answer that one, for me at least.

At the time, a new car made sense for what I needed. I was going to be doing 35k a year, and needed a car that would be utterly reliable apart from routine servicing. At that mileage, buying new or newish doesn't make a lot of difference to monthly costs, as if you buy at 50k miles, you need to pay the smaller sum off quicker before the car turns into a shed, so you don't really save. With CR diesels, you also have the nagging worry that the previous owner got rid after a slight mis-fuelling, or skimped on the oil changes etc.

I got a large estate as my boss/colleague was convinced that we needed one to transport thte kit we?re using around the place. We don?t, as it happens, very annoying as a new Golf would have been £190 a month less, and would have done 10 mpg more.

Had I continued to have to drive the above miles, then the car would have been a bargain, the perfect choice, and would have had its costs covered by mileage.

As it is, I?m actually stuck in a bit of a s od of a situation. I'm going to start a new thread to continue my story, as I'd quite like people's opinions as to what my options are...
How does your car cost per month? - Greg R
TVM, I pray that one day I will get a company car. I just need to get lots more experience, a recognised accredited qualification and I will be driving a car on someone elses expense. Amazing!
How does your car cost per month? - Xileno {P}
As someone else said, there's no such thing as a free lunch. You will be paying for your company car some way or another. I know of a company that gives out a car but uses this as a method of not paying a competitive salary.
How does your car cost per month? - Big Bad Dave
"Some of these figures are shocking, why do people do it? Almost like having a second mortgage."

Yeah it frightens me, I impose a one month's salary limit and pay cash when I buy, that way it's not so heart-breaking if I crash it / break it / lose it in a poker game. I have leased expensive cars in the past when I had different priorities so I would never criticise but second hand and a good night's sleep suits me better.
How does your car cost per month? - tr7v8
I track costs per mile VERY carefully using a spreadsheet, sad but true!

The Porsche is a 87 944 & over 18 months has cost me 26 pence per mile. In that 18 months it's done around 33K miles.

The previous Alfa 156 JTD SW 2000, did 61K miles in 22 months & cost me 33PPM

Worst ever was a Mondeo Ghia X 99 brought ex-Ford irect & sold after 11 months & that worked to £1.36 PM
How does your car cost per month? - stevied
Car lease: £139
Insurance: £45
Tax: zero
Depreciation: zero
Petrol: £45 a month
Repairs: zero, exception being any major damages upon return.

Not bad value.
How does your car cost per month? - Martin1981
1994 Peugeot 306 1.9TD

Fuel: £120 a month averaging about 1500-1600 miles per month but the 40p per mile I get for work use more than covers that. Got 500 miles last week on a £40 fill.
Insurance: £30 per month
Tax: £14 per month
Servicing and repairs: Prob about £30 per month totted up, but is difficult to predict what's going to go wrong next!
Depreciation £38 per month

Martin
How does your car cost per month? - Mapmaker
In my last job, before I was given a car allowance, all my annual motoring (save for petrol) was paid for - and more - by booking myself on a couple of courses a year that were far enough North for the mileage (at 40p per mile, or whatever) to pay for my annual running costs.
In light of what I discovered about running even my old banger, ive decided to sell it and just run my Suzuki Carry as my sole transport.
I dont NEED the car, its just useful and since ive worked out that my van and car are swallowing HALF my income, I think its time to put my sensible hat on and start saving for this road charging thats on the way!

It will increase my servicing needs on the van slightly, but its only adding about 3k to my annual mileage per year, which will amount to about £10 a month extra for servicing.
My vans insurance also covers me for nearly double the annual mileage I currently do, so I wont need to adjust it.
It will also mean I can cancel my membership to the AA and get a refund on my car insurance, so should get some money back aswell.

Its been a very useful exercise for me, thats for sure.

Just out of interest, those who have company cars - surely you are simply swapping wages for a car allowance, so infact are taking a pay cut by having a company car, no?
I always thought this was how it worked.

How does your car cost per month? - reevsie
i suppose you got to take into account running costs as a percentage of your net income. My boss used to lose 50k by changing his bentley's every 6 months, but when your worth 150 million it doesnt really matter. Imagine the depreciation on this lot he owns, all bought brand new 1 rolls royce phantom (in black looks like an undertakers car!), range rover vogue cost 66k with all the bits, 1 bentley gt, 2 nobles and a sl 55 amg.
How does your car cost per month? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Avensis 2.2 D4-D

PCP - £300
Fuel - £130
Tax - £135pa so 11.25
Servicing - quoted £430 for 30k miles (3 services), would take me 18 months, so £23.89 per month
Insurance - £30

Total £495.14 for avg 1666 miles = 29.72ppm excluding tyres and incidentals.

Never worked out the pence per mile before, it's actually a fair bit better than I would have expected.
How does your car cost per month? - tr7v8
>>Total £495.14 for avg 1666 miles = 29.72ppm excluding tyres and incidentals.

You can't exclude these that's part of the running costs!
How does your car cost per month? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
>>Total £495.14 for avg 1666 miles = 29.72ppm excluding tyres and
incidentals.
You can't exclude these that's part of the running costs!

Ok, but hardly significant and not so easy to budget for. Tyres, call it £85 per tyre, would estimate needing no more than 6 over 60k miles (4 front, 2 rear), so that's another 0.85p per mile. Incidentals can't be budgeted for in advance, but allowing another £510 for brakes and wiper blades would add another 0.85p per mile.
How does your car cost per month? - David R
I used to worry about car costs in general, and depreciation in particular, but since I started paying £1767 per month for 3 school fees, I have stopped. I guess I could lease a 911, and x5, and a run-around for that. If you want it, and can afford it without incurring debt, or threatening your financial security, then what the hell.

£800 per month, shared between 2 cars

D
Ive sold my old Mazda today, first person who viewed it.
I realised that it was very expensive for the role it was doing and as such, its now gone to live across town. Im hoping that with the £100 plus a month ill save, I can start a college fund for my 4 month old son or if the lil fella doesnt do anything with his life, it will be my retirement/mid-life crisis car fund!
I never realised before just how much cars cost in real terms and its changed my whole approach to it. Then again, I doubt Posh&Becks will be doing the same as some can afford to waste money afterall.
How does your car cost per month? - glowplug
Xantia HDi Exclusive from Ebay -

Cost £1220 plus £200 for spheres and general service parts.
Insurance £500
Tax £190
Fuel £40
Depreciation ?
Servicing - hard to say maybe £20

I find the insurance to real pain!

Not all bad though, the money I got for the writing off of my 405 nearly paid for the Xantia.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
How does your car cost per month? - Waino
I posted on my S/H Mondeo running costs over a period of 5 years here www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=44597&...f

To summarise - averaging 13,000 miles a year, the average cost (everything except loss of interest on capital) was £3,600 a year - so £300 per month. Apart from a few things like changing bulbs, I leave servicing/mending to my local independent. This is at the cheaper end of motoring - and it's bad enough!

How does your car cost per month? - DP
Cost £2400 18 months ago (cash)
Now worth about £1900

Depreciation £28/mth
Insurance £30 / mth
Tax £15 / mth
Fuel £150/mth
Servicing - £15/mth (DIY - averaged over 18 mths)
Tyres - £12/mth
Unscheduled repairs and maintenance - £9 / mth (averaged over 18 mths)

TOTAL = £259 / mth over 18 mths.
+ whatever interest I've lost on the £2400.

Car allowance of £495 a month covers it nicely. The car in reality owes me nothing.

Cheers
DP