2.2HDi engine - any views ? - Graham Staniforth
When you first test drove the C5 with the 2.2 diesel engine you had reservations about that particular engine. I would be interested to have the latest view please as I am looking for a tow car for my caravan but do not want an estate and the C5 hatchback 2.2HDi SX has many attractive features including the driving position which is very important.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/02/2008 at 21:08

Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Union Jack
Graham

I think that Mark has brought a whole new meaning to the word "reservations", not least about the driving position ....

Jack
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Colin taylor
I was very impressed with my relatively short stay with a 2.2HDi C5 (hatch) - even though it was an auto (I dislike all autos) it had bags of pull and was exceptionally refined - best of all there was no visible smoke emissions even at night in the lights of following vehicles - very clean indeed.

Economy was fine for the performance and size of the car - averaging between 38 and 49mpg according to the computer depending on how it was used.

My biggest grumble lies not with the engine but with the car: Why does it insit on shutting the windows or sunroof when the wipers are used? Daft. Technology as it shouldnt be - 100% disruptive!

Fine otherwise, though!
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Mark (Brazil)
Can't comment on the emissions, its not the sort of thing I notice. Agreed on the economy.

But pulling ? I was not being facetious or sarcastic in my note earlier, it doesn't have any pull. Goodness only knows what it would be like with a caravan behind it. Its pull is ok between 40ish & 75ish. But from standstill or over 80mph it is truly gutless.

Also, I fail to see how any car with an engine that will drown out conversation on acceleration can possibly be called "refined".
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Dave Hansford
Having just read Mark (Brazil)'s post below, I wonder what diesel they run on there!

Whilst Im not disputing his findings, they bear no relationship to C5 HDi life here in blighty...

Our 2 C5 Hdi's (company hacks - one hatch manual one estate auto) both go like stink, are quieter than our (new) BeeEm 328i and much nicer over long distances.

None of us find difficulty getting comfortable in them (despite radically different builds!) and they dont seem to be porly built at all. Thankfully the silver plastice is abscent too.

If u r thinking of buying a UK spec car - don't be put off - at least go try one.
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Dave Hansford
Ive just read a post on the other C5 thread (below) and it raises a good point - both our C5s have done some mileage now (hatch 21k and estate 32k - it gets the most use as a film car!) and I would agree that when new there wasnt much turbo 'boost'. Thats all changed now though...
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - CM
saying your C5 is quieter than your 328 is similar to saying that a John Deere is quieter than a Lambo.
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Mark (Brazil)
Dave,

I was in the UK - London, Coventry, The Fens, London, Portsmouth.

It is clearly possible that individual engines/vehicles may vary. Yours may be better than normal, Avis' could be worse.

I can't say. Also, nobody should buy or not buy a car on someone else's say so.

However, look at the build quality ? THe plastic pocket in the door, the carpet pins, the finishing of the trim inside the back hatch, the door window switches, the sun visors, the silver panels (albeit missing on yours)the plastic panels under the bonnet etc. etc.

Are all of those things built better on the ones you have at work ?

M.
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Dave H
Hi Mark,

I can honestly say that the build feels every bit as solid as the 3 series... Are Brazil spec cars built in the same factory ( i dont know) so thats why I was surprised to read your review - perhaps the one you borrowed was a very early example?

I know VAG Tdi engines are often variable in their manners but Ive not heard of PSA HDi's being so...
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Andy V
Theres been a couple of cases in the uk motoring press of turbo faliure on these models... Sounds very much like the one poor Mark has been hired has a duff turbo (likely on a rental reck - no sympathy!)

Certainly the mobility one I run goes easily as well as the V6 3.0 I had before... no noise issues either
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Dave HAnsford
Ive just read a post on the other C5 thread (below) and it raises a good point - both our C5s have done some mileage now (hatch 21k and estate 32k - it gets the most use as a film car!) and I would agree that when new there wasnt much turbo 'boost'. Thats all changed now though...
Re: Citroen C5 2.2HDi engine - Brian D
I like the look of the C5 Estate and was looking to buy one this Autumn. Has anybody had one long enough to recommend it's reliabilty? I also hear it has been subject to umpteen recalls but can not find details of what problems they have been having. Can anyone enlightened me and tell me if the bugs been fixed?