Compressor Deal - Any Good? - rg
Folks,

There's a compressor ("Sioux II") for £99.00 inc VAT here:-

www.wolf-online.co.uk/

Apologies that I can't get a more precise link!

I've no idea about compressors, but have a few jobs that could use one,
including some small-scale panel spraying.

Can anyone who has a similar compressor comment?

r
Compressor Deal - Any Good? - Hamsafar
Seems OK for the price for a DIYer.
The spray gun would probably need replacing with a decent one if you are spraying parts of ahalf-decent car, but it would be OK for colour-coding mirrors etc... The other thing you would find is that it may run out of puff if say painting a car bumper, and you would have to keep waiting for the pressure to recharge before continuing. However, if you're careful, and keep your eye on the guage you would be able to manage.
Compressor Deal - Any Good? - Chas{P}
Bought for £69.99 exactly the same outfit from Aldi about 6 months ago with their branding on it. Also bought the optional air impact wrench and the compressor can keep up even after removing 4 tight wheel nuts in succession.

Used it a few times and, for the money, is excellent.

Compressor Deal - Any Good? - Aprilia
For DIY use I recommend the small Clarke compressors from Machine Mart. They are always high rated in tests. In your price range there is the 'Ranger 35' at £94. They are well made and spare parts are easy to get etc etc.
Alternatively Makro have some cheap compressor kits a bit like the Wolf set up, they are about £70, but I suspect spares might be hard to obtain.

SIP also make decent compressors. I recently scrapped by big SIP compressor after 25 years use! Still worked OK, I only scrapped it because I was worried about corrosion in the reservoir.
Compressor Deal - Any Good? - none
Aprilia, I've seen a lot of this Wolf gear at a local Sunday market / boot sale recently. The stuff seems to be well made and nicely finished, and at first sight compares well with the likes of Sealey, Draper etc. Actually, most of it looks good enough for industrial use. Now, going back a few years, I remember 'Wolf' as being a name for good quality workshop tools - especially their electrical gear. I haven't seen any real Wolf tools for many years now - all retired I suppose, but I was wondering if it's the same company gone 'downmarket' or has the name been 'pinched'. Any Ideas ?
Compressor Deal - Any Good? - Aprilia
Wolf was a highly respected maker of top-end DIY and professional garage tools. My father used to have Wolf electric drills in the workshops in the 1960's.
I reckon the name has been bought by an import agent and is applied to products sourced from all over the place - a bit like the names 'Pye' and 'Bush' were one great British electronics companies and later applied to cheap tat from China. I think Goodmans was once a 'quality' brand wasn't it? I saw some Wolf 'oil-less' compressors in the summer and they looked a bit cheap and nasty IMHO, but other versions might be better - I would go with Clarke or SIP purely on the basis that you can get spares for them without too much trouble.
Compressor Deal - Any Good? - ndbw
Does anybody know what the insurance situation is on home use compressors,in industry they have to be insured and inspected by a qualified person at a maximum interval of 14 months,NB it is the air receiver that this applies to,there could be people outside your own household involved in the event of a failure and in our present sue at the drop of a hat society they could argue that you had a duty of care?.

ndbw