VW goodwill - AllTorque
My Golf 1.6 has packed up and the dealer diagnoses a new EGR valve and emap sensor. The car's done 48K and is 3 years 3 months old. They want £380 to put it right, and the parts are on back order so it will be at least a week before I get it back.

Is it worth a goodwill claim? It's VW dealer serviced from new and only 3 months out of warranty.

If the parts are on back order, is this a common problem VW are aware of?

It packed up only 5 miles after they plugged a piece of kit in to check exactly what service it needed next - could there be a connection or just coincidence?
VW goodwill - type's'
It's worth a try but I tried something similar on my wifes polo a few years back - it was 1 week out of warranty and the dealer and VW UK did not want to know.
My views on VW service have been described before on this site so I will not go into any more detail or the VW owners go all sensitive and reckon you are out to do no more than bash the brand.
VW goodwill - David Horn
It packed up only 5 miles after they plugged a piece
of kit in to check exactly what service it needed next
- could there be a connection or just coincidence?

Ask them to prove otherwise and see what they say? If my car packed up 5 miles after the garage had their equipment plugged into it, I'd blame them fair and square if it was running perfectly before.
VW goodwill - Micky
Must be worth trying for goodwill. 5 miles after the dealer's meddling does seem a bit odd, but the temptation is to blame the person who touched it.

Get a 2nd opinion, it is possible to bypass EGR valves on some cars, perhaps as a temporary measure. Emap sensor? TMAP sensor?
VW goodwill - Collos25
The difficulty for Garages with good will gerstures is when do you stop 1 week ,1 month ,customer A but not customer B,somebody who has really abused their car or somebody who has really looked after it.
VW goodwill - Collos25
Its early yet I think I meant "Gesture"