Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - wemyss
Have checked HJs FAQs but not sure.
Does this engine have a cambelt or chain.
Anyone know ?.
Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - Aprilia
Its the M15A engine. A fairly well-proven twin-cam (chain driven) unit with variable valve timing (VVT)
Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - wemyss
Thanks Aprilia. I knew your sister had one and have been keeping an eye on your comments rgearding her car.. Had searched the web and the Swift brochure for this info and not a mention anywhere.
I'm midway between the Potteries and Derby and went to the main dealer in the Potteries yesterday to have a look at them.
The salesman spoke highly of them (well he would wouldnt he) and said that they have been selling so well they have had a shortage of them) Recall you saying the same. But apparently they are now becoming easier to get. Built in Hungary...Would you think there is any downside to this compared to Japanes built.
He said he couldnt offer any discounts but would look after me whatever that means.
The other dealer is at Spondon near Derby and will call in there shortly.
I was impressed with them although I didnt accept a test drive as I'm looking at all options. I liked the keyless entry idea after he demonstrated how it worked. I had the idea that it was something like a credit card which you kept in your pocket but was in fact a very solid item which also had a key inside it.
Very well kitted out with all the toys and at a competitive price for its spec alongside Fiesta's which I was also considering.
Supposed to be looking for my wife actually but would attempt to give her my car instead if I bought one of these.
Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - dylan
www.carfile.net have them for £8.5k (i.e. £500 discount).

Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - Martin Wall
Maybe worth a look at: www.suzuki4u.co.uk/forum/forum-25.html which is a forum for new swift topics to see what discounts other folks got, any known issues etc.
Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - midlifecrisis
I can't believe the price of servicing on these cars. Over £200 for a service. Exactly what put me off buying the missus a Panda. My Vectra has just had a major service and it cost £130!!

But a new shape Corsa.
Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - tr7v8
Problem with all little cars from my experience, small cars are bought privately therefore the market isn't as competitive as the Rep size Focus/Mundeo market.
As for builty in Hungary, Suzuki have built here for quite a few years, the old swift & Wagon R came from there. Had both and no real problems, bit disconcerting to the lift the bonnet & see lots of GM badges though!
Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - Aprilia
Was able to get £500 off from a dealer.

Suzuki have been building in Hungary for quite a long time - don't know of any problems. Lots of the parts (e.g. most electrics, engine management, power steering rack etc) seem to come from Japan. Some other parts are GM. It all seems nicely designed and neatly laid out. At the end of the day these are (relatively) cheap 'runabout' cars though, so you have to be realistic in your expectations.

Servicing costs seem pretty much typical - I guess the main factor is local labour rates, since as on most modern cars servicing seems to consist of oil and filter and then lots of checks etc. Once out of warranty you are likely to save money because historically Suzukis have been less likely to require non-scheduled work than lots of other cars. My personal experience with the previous model Corsa was never that good, can't say what the new one will be like though.

Don't know what is meant by a 'major service' on a Vectra, but £130 sounds remarkably cheap if its from a Vauxhall dealer. For that money I would expect oil and filters etc. Book time for a standard service on a Vectra is around 1.4 - 1.5 hours so at typical £80+/hour you could pay nearly that just for the labour, never mind parts. If you are in a cheap part of the country then maybe labour is lower.
I find that most 'basic' services (i.e. oil, filter and few basic checks) seems to come in at a little over £100 for most cars if using the franchised dealer (that's in the Midlands).
Suzuki Swift 1.5 2006 - machika
My wife has an automatic and I would recommend it.

I'm not to enthralled by the local dealer though, as we have had a couple of issues with the car, with which they were completely unhelpful. We still have the outstanding problem with the fuel gauge, which will say the tank is empty after about 240/250 miles, yet we can never get more than 36 litres in the tank, which has a capacity of 45 litres, if it is filled at that point. It is a devilishly difficult tank to fill too, as the nozzle has to be just the right amount in the tank, or it will keep cutting off the flow.