Idling problem on Citroen AX - jc26
Hi all.

I have this slight problem with my Citroen AX 1.5 diesel. When it is idling at normal operating temperature, it feels like it is idling too slow, i.e. it shakes the car to pieces. Then sometimes all of a sudden there is a slight click comes from the engine somewhere and it will start idling at the correct speed. I'm guessing it might be something to do with the diesel pump but i'm not sure. Any ideas anyone?
Idling problem on Citroen AX - hurstc1
i dont know if your car has one but it could be your automatic choke....when you start it may not be letting in cold air....this will make you car rock at idle.....when you here a click sound i gess that would be you choke working.....not sure how you fix it tho.......this info may or may not help......but hey it's worth a read
It doesn't have a choke as such because it's a diesel but there may be a Cold Start Advance device on it that I will check first. Thanks for that!
Idling problem on Citroen AX - ib33
There is some type of fast idle, on mine also a 1.5 diesel AX there is a cable that goes into the right hand side of the engine from the pump.
I would try spraying WD40 round all the linkages on the injection pump and see if they all move freely - your description sounds like something is sticking then suddenly opening. I spray inside the cables with WD40 also.
Hope this helps, Ian
Idling problem on Citroen AX - 659FBE
This is almost certainly a sticking "waxstat" idle jack up device. The wax capsule is in the water jacket on the cylinder head, fairly near the water outlet. There is a bowden cable with a spiral outer which leads to the idle jack up lever on the injection pump. This is at the front if it's a Bosch pump; on top if a Lucas or derivative.

On this installation, the bowden is exposed at the front of the engine, and there is no rustproofing on the steel outer, so eventually the rust creeps in and causes the steel wire inside to stick. As there is a lost motion spring in the capsule, eventually it breaks free and corrects the idle with a "click".

You can often free these with liberal applications of plus gas on the spiral outer - it works its way inside. When it's all free, apply waxoyl to the outer to prevent further rust. Replacements are quite cheap from GSF but are not often necessary unless someone damages the bowden. If you fit a new one, remember to vent the cooling system.

Occasionally with the Bosch pump, the idle jack-up lever sticks a bit - probably because they are nearly always so diesel tight. A drop of engine oil on the pivot will fix this - work it in by moving the lever manually when the engine is hot, when the bowden is not pulling on it.

I noticed the spiral cable had stuck the other day because just a slight movement of the idle jack up lever (mines is a Bosch diesel pump) made the engine tick over slightly faster. I will try lubing the cable and see how i get on. Thanks!