New Panda Wheel Bolt Torques - doctorchris
Anyone know the correct roadwheel bolt tightening torques for the new Panda, especially the alloys on a 4x4 and the steel wheels on a 1.1 Active. Handbook does not give this information.
New Panda Wheel Bolt Torques - bell boy
Sticker in the tailgate ,door shut etc?...no?
ring dealer in morning then ,main thing with wheels is check them after 50 miles and doubly check them if they are alloys.
New Panda Wheel Bolt Torques - martint123
I thought manufacturers were trying to reach a standard torque value for all cars, but it looks like they have given in. I've seen ranges from 66 to 85 ft/lbs. Normally there is no difference between steel and alloy wheels (which usually have steel inserts). Found this as well

"If you insist on lubricating lug threads, please be sparing and make sure to compensate for the increased torque likely to result. For example, one lubricant manufacturer recommends torquing nuts to only 85 percent of the factory specification when using their nickel-based anti-seize compound on threads."

Martin
New Panda Wheel Bolt Torques - Number_Cruncher
Martin,

Where did you find the quoted info?

...make sure to compensate for the increased torque....

What nonsense! The torque you set the torque wrench to is the torque that is applied. As Cliff Pope asked in another thread, torque is absolute! Force multiplied by distance; there's no more to it than that!

What they are trying to articulate is that for a given torque setting, you stretch the bolt more if the threads are lubricated - i.e., for each Nm of torque you apply, less is lost in friction, and is translated to more Newtons of axial force in the bolt.

Of course, I aim my derision at the source or author of the original quote, rather than towards Martin for posting it.

Number_Cruncher
New Panda Wheel Bolt Torques - jc2
If you use the wrench supplied with the car,you will not over-tighten.
New Panda Wheel Bolt Torques - Dynamic Dave
If you use the wrench supplied with the car,you will not over-tighten.

Yeah, right. Depends whether you're a Penelope Pitstop or Desperate Dan type of person of course.
New Panda Wheel Bolt Torques - martint123
NC it came from www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/WheelsTires.html#TorqueSp...s that I spotted whilst trying to find the page I found a year or so ago about standardisation of settings.

I can see the point as what you are aiming for is the compression force of the fixing and if it is lubricated then less torque would be needed for the same clamping force. Their wording is wrong though.

Martin