Omega 2.5 TD - Andrew
Can anyone help with my dilema? the engine is a BMW unit.

I have regularly replaced oil and filter on the above vehicle and been supplied with oil filter part no. 90511738 from my local Vauxhall dealer. The filter is contained within a housing.

I recently went to another branch of the same dealer to purchase a filter and was informed that there were two types of filter depending on engine number. I supplied the number and was given part number 91149684.

The filter is slightly different in that the former has a rubber gasket on either end. Both filters come with a gasket kit which includes sump plug washers, a large O ring for the housing lid, a smaller O ring for the bottom of the housing lid bolt which goes right through the housing and a steel sealing washer for the top of the bolt where it goes through the lid.

However when I came to fit the small O ring to the bottom of the bolt it seemed too big where as the ring in the former filter was a tight fit. There was also a slightly larger o ring in the latter kit but be b******d if i know where that one goes.

My problem is this that as far as the gasket kit is concerned I should be fitting the earlier kit to the later engine. But am I fitting the wrong filter?

My engine number is many thousands away from the cut off number. I have no reason to suspect my engine is not the one fitted at the factory but I cannot see the stamped engine number due to all the gubins under the bonnet and anyway I am struggling as to where to look.

Has anyone come across the same problem?

I feel I may have to contact the Vauxhall technical help dept and also perhaps the BMW technical help dept. Has anyone got an address for them?

Andrew.
Re: Omega 2.5 TD - Les
I think they altered it around early 97, if the new filter you have(if its a genuine), and it has A126 (I think that the right number) stamped on the end, then you will have the wrong filter, as that is the late type. I had the same problem with mine, even the main agents get it wrong, Mine is the late type and from memory that number A126 was printed on the filter end, but the box had the 9??????? number on it
Hope this helps
Les
Re: Omega 2.5 TD - Rob Govier
Gentlemen,

Are these engines much trouble in general? And how is the performance/economy? Any other snags?

Rob
Re: Omega 2.5 TD - CM
I used to drive the bosses 2.5TD and I had a 325tds at the same time.

The Vauxhall engine produced significantly less power and was a lot less flexible than the BMW. Driving normally stop/start town/motorway I used to gt about 38mpg from my car. The omega was an auto and returned a lot less esp in town. Maybe just my driving but I can recommend against getting an auto 2.5td. Not having driven a manual one I would say it would make for relaxed and easy progress