The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 46 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 47 *****

For the continued discussion of all things pertaining to Speed Cameras.

This is Volume 46.

There is no need to repeat anything since earlier volumes will not be deleted. But then if we only posted original stuff the backroom would grind to a halt in a fortnight.

;o)

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18846

S P I K E. So pay up - henry k
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006...l

www.pipstechnology.co.uk/products.php?section_id=1...2

A more efficient way to pick your pocket?
S P I K E. So pay up - Lud
Can't help wondoring when the motorists' liberation front is going to start persecuting people who work for these speed camera technology firms, digging up their deceased relatives, covering their houses in manure and so on.

Seems every bit as justified as doing it for the sake of furry little experimental creatures.

Don't expect me to do it though. Never was too keen on bawling vulgar slogans and making a prat of myself.
S P I K E. So pay up - Armitage Shanks {p}
The local police, speed camera partnership or whatever they call themselves this month, publish where they are going to be in action (local newspaper adverts etc). Will SPIKE be similarly publicised? One camera detector firm is including this published information in their on-line down-loadable database.
Hard work pays off in the future - Laziness pays off now!
S P I K E. So pay up - drbe
Surely we are too adult to take any notice of Paul Smith(?) in the piece from The Telegraph. I think 100% of the contributers to this site can maintain a constant speed without constantly looking down at the speedo.

A pretty thin objection, methinks.
Probably 10% can - that leaves 90% who can't!
Hard work pays off in the future - Laziness pays off now!
S P I K E. So pay up - Adam {P}
I'm glad it's not just me!
S P I K E. So pay up - madf
More speed cameras needed. Too many muppets driving at liiegal speeds in built up areas.They deserve all the fines they can get.

Speeding = lack of control./

Speeders are criminals.. fine them or crush their cars.

madf
Then let's have loads of cameras in places where speed is a major cause of accidents and take them away from long straight A roads where speed is NOT a major cause of accidents. We don't need more cameras - we need the ones we have got placed where they will serve a road safety and accident prevention purpose and not just raise money!
S P I K E. So pay up - bell boy
i was going to say yooboo madf because i had only read the advert but also have now read the other link and i agree 100% i am sick of people all ages all cars who flaunt the system and am heartily sick to the teeth of passing boo ho flowers nailed to trees or lamposts bemoaning the fact that these new road warriers cant cope with the fact that speed kills and all the rest of us sensible drivers then get 30 zones in areas that are 50's because these dead brains clots want to kill themselves................
an annoyed british tax payer
S P I K E. So pay up - mk124
Sorry if this comes out as less than lucid, 3 to many stella's. From what I gather skiming the thread. Speed where apropate, sometimes speed limits are inapropate.
Just had an idea. Speed camaras are used at acident blackspots are't they? Yet most of us say that speed has a minor role in acidents, so why not go for the sensible aproach and say speed camars where speed has a major role in acidents and a good CCV system in other acident black spots, so we can bring to justice the people driving dangoursly where dangouse driving has little to do with speed. (Sorry about spelling - the stella!)
S P I K E. So pay up - mk124
Furthermoor I congatulate those that bring the costs of doing anything down. If you are hostile to this project or new technology it must be that you don't see speeding has a major role in these accident blackspots, or that driver who are prone to speed in these accident blackspots are more prone to crashing when there is a speed camara present because they are watching there speedometer so closely.
S P I K E. So pay up - L'escargot
Never was too keen on ........ making a prat of myself.

Not even in The Backroom? ;-)

--
L\'escargot.
S P I K E. So pay up - teabelly
Unfortunately these cameras will do naff all to reduce most accidents. 95% of all accidents do not have exceeding a speed limit listed as a contributory factor. Factors more commonly listed are distraction and inappropriate speed which is speed which is too fast for the conditions but *under* the prevailing limit. Inappropriate speed is a psychological problem not a legal compliance issue. Perhaps if the effort were put into catching the illegal drivers who have 9 times the accident risk as the normal motorist we'd have reduced our deaths and serious injuries. Unfortunately some idiot decided only exceeding a limit made up by anyone would be an accident contributory factor worth bothering with. The 5% figure also includes illegal and other criminal drivers including joy riders. These types are the ones causing more of the excess speed accidents but they are not the ones being affected by the cameras. What is worse it is further going to make people think travelling at the speed limit is always safe rather than being bothered to think for themselves about road conditions and applying COAST principles.

They won't be deployed in built up areas where there are accidents. They'll be on big wide roads trapping HGVs exceeding 40 and probably hanging around good overtaking spots making sure drivers are checking their speedo while overtaking instead of watching the road or hanging around areas where limits have just been dropped to stupidly low levels to make sure outsiders don't visit again.

Drivers can check their speedo and drive safely it just means they will spend a bit less time looking at the road and more time checking their speed. Just remember it could be your child stepping off the pavement while a driver is checking whether they are breaking the limit or not. That half a second check at the wrong time could mean the difference between missing or hitting that child. If all 20 million drivers check their speedos one extra time per minute then that is an awful lot of time drivers between them won't be looking at the road. Thus you increase the probability just a little for each child that steps off the pavement without looking properly that the car they step in front of has a driver looking down rather than at the road ahead.
teabelly
S P I K E. So pay up - bell boy
teabelly i 100% agree with you and hate these namby pampy cameras but let me give you a few facts from my backyard
i sell cars for a living........to young kids etc
on the road that i live (give 100 yards) 15 tenagers in 15 years have died here i kid you not ,the road is straight its well lit etc etc unfortunately its a wide road so 40 =60 and drink/drugs/bravado dont help.its now a 30 lots of people i know who have travelled this road for 40 years have now got endorsements and points because they forgot the speed is 30 ,i go along saying 30/30/30 dont talk to me passenger, but..............no kids have died here in 12 months
i hate them ,the cameras vehemently, my dad died 3 times in the war so we were free men,but kids in these new cars that we could only dream of are killing them,selves daily in .
i will only add they are now killing themselves 5 miles down the road where the speed limit is 50 and no cameras
S P I K E. So pay up - teabelly
This is the thing. The majority of responsible drivers are having to put up with daft low speed limits and draconian enforcement because of stupid kids that want a good kick up the bum from a plod. If they are driving drunk/drugged up and killing themselves then it seems more like Darwinism working well :-) I was reading the other day about how boredom leads to stress and this may be the reason young people seem more prone to risk taking and behaving badly. They are just bored. They tell us they're bored and we don't listen and just dismiss it as we're not a generation that has had to have their entertainment, education etc spoon fed into them. Making their own entertainment is what they try but as life revolves around a playstation it is no wonder they emulate driving like that! It seems like an excuse but it also creates a lot of frustration and tension in people. I have noticed when stuck doing boring things at work I feel more like doing strange things and starting arguments just for the variety so it may be down to the lack of things for them to do and lack of a future a lot of them feel. Life these days is so nannyed there isn't the opportunity for risk taking there once was. Perhaps they want to join the army so they can put their death wish to a practical use :-)
teabelly
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Zippy123
www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news....0

I don't think there is any more to say really.
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - teabelly
Is anyone surprised they are only in it for the money? Yet they have the gall to complain about motorists using 'loopholes' even though many of the partnerships aren't following the rules themselves. The whole system stinks and wants removing. No-one should be making any money from fines. If it were all about road safety only the points would be applied to someone's licence. The govt has refused to do this so we know it is just about making money. Meanwhile road injuries aren't falling and the real causes of accidents are being ignored.
teabelly
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Bromptonaut
I propose a protest whereby ABD, SafeSpeed etc all urge their members to stick to the limit.

No offences, no money. The few who make genuine mistakes won't sustain the system alone.
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Hamsafar
Ah, but that relies on the fact that the speed penalties are only given to those who aren't breaking the speed limit, when clearly this is not the case, and their accuracy is appaulling to the extent of being a criminal outrage. There have been many high profile 'quirky' stories in the media of Tractors doing 70mph, Fiat Stradas doing 130mph, people parked on the verge doing 40mph. I shudder to think how many people doing 30mph fooled the cameras into thinking they wee going 36mph and other such dross.
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Vin {P}
OK, taking Ashok's comments up, let the campaign be to pass every speed camera at 20mph under the limit. Clearly this would be even safer than passing at the limit, as speed kills.

V
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - wotspur
oh please Vin, "Speed Kills", what a generalisation - sometimes it is, but it's INAPPROPRIATE SPEED that is the big killer
70mph on motorways and A roads has been set since the 60's despite major improvements in car safety and really should be raised to at least 80mph, with a minimum of 60 mph, for cars and vans so as not to interfere with lorries.
30mph is too fast by hospitals , schools and near parks, but at 01.00 it would be equally safe to drive at 50mph.
I've driven at just 20mph on the A3, because that was the APPROPRIATE speed due to the weather.
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - madf
sorry : speed limits are LIMITS.
Muppets break limits and are fined...law abiding motorists do not.

It's not difficult.. just control your right foot on the pedal called acclerator....
madf
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Lud
Just curious madf, but would it be possible for a law-abiding motorist to be a muppet as well?
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - bedfordrl
Yeah fine and dandy if the police and cameras work properly but not so in my case.
I was left with a disrespect of the law , in fact it stinks.
Don't bother fighting them ,they do not like it and wallop you with huge costs just so you do not argue again.
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Vin {P}
'oh please Vin, "Speed Kills", what a generalisation'

Lord above, do you recognise irony?

V
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - yorkiebar
These threads bring up the same comments, from the same people every time.

Speed does not kill! I have driven at 130 mph recently and am still alive!

Inappropriate speed, with poor driving is the killer!

However, the simple way to try and reduce accidents is bash the speed, not the driving style!

I am not against speed limits, there is a definite time and place for them! But I am against sped cameras because they do not catch poor driving!

You can kill at 20 mph, you can be alive at 130 mph!
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Waino
OK, so speeding fines are a form of taxation, but I (touch wood) don't have a problem with this. I'm a poverty-stricken, tight-fisted git - I hate Gordon Brown and I hate paying taxes so I avoid paying speeding taxes in the same way that I avoid paying cigarette duty. All it takes is a little will power - and just as stopping smoking will make you a fitter, healthier person, so keeping to speed limits will make you a better, safer driver.

So, if you want some encouragement to lighten your right foot, just think of Gordon Brown rubbing his hands with glee waiting for your next contribution - just don't let him incense you to road-rage ;-)
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Adam {P}
>>so keeping to speed limits will make you a better, safer driver.<<

It was all going great until you said that.
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Bromptonaut
Well all other things being equal it won't make you a worse driver. Some folks are dozy beggars at any speed.
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Jonathan {p}
Apparently the new generation of cameras aren't legal anyway.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006...l
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Waino
>>so keeping to speed limits will make you a better, safer driver.<<

It was all going great until you said that.<<

I thought I'd put that in to stir things up a bit - but I am very wary of the common arrogant attitude that says 'I am a really good driver and I don't need speed limits getting in my way'. Is it any different from the attitude 'I am a really good driver and I am perfectly capable of using my mobile phone whilst driving'?

Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Adam {P}
I'm tired of the arguments as much as everyone else so I don't want to bang on about it. But a set speed limit doesn't make you safe. I hate the attitude (not yours I hasten to add - just the attitude in general) that people go "Oh well I'm under the limit therefore I'm safe as houses."

Doesn't work, not true, and one could argue is more dangerous than a habitual speeder.
Speed Cameras -Comments from the seller - Lud
wary of the common arrogant
attitude that says 'I am a really good driver and I
don't need speed limits getting in my way'.

This may be a common attitude but a majority of drivers are fairly carp so it isn't really the point.

The point is that boredom makes people lose concentration and get irritated, both bad for driving. If they drive at their natural speed this is less likely to happen. It keeps them awake and in good spirits.

That's why unnaturally low speed limits, of which there are many, and long lines of po-faced twits or 'law-abiding motorists' as some prefer to call them, waddling along 5mph below those limits, are not just contemptible but dangerous.

So there.
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Dwight Van Driver
From elsewhere

tinyurl.com/y5xu5n

dvd
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Altea Ego
"Be interesting to see how drivers react to this, but does explain why HGVs change lanes so frequently in these sections. Might free up the M25 which is currently choked to death by two 40mph SPECS gauntlets through roadworks, at one of which not very much seems to be going on"

I can tell you exactly whats going to happen, its going to be carnage with cars going everywhere, traffic even slower, and much road rage.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - cheddar
I have heard it said that you can avoid triggering the overhead Gatsos on the M25 variable section by traversing two lanes as you pass underneath the camera gantry.
tyr that and you get a set of Norbert Dentresangle wheel nuts up your door (if lucky it might even be a set of willie betz)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yeah but no but yeah but when Norbert and Willie are around you cannot go as fast as the limit anyway! However on a Sunday AM when it is set at 60 to catch the Avis and Hertz guys fresh off a red eye and still getting used to a "stick shift" for the first time in 20 years so as to pay for a new Jag for the Chief PC then apparently traversing the lanes does not trigger the cameras. I do not recomend or condone it, let alone guarantee hee it though I have heard it said in reasonable authority.
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Vin {P}
I've done a forum search and can't find it, but someone on here announced this news a good couple of years ago. Good to see "The Mail" has its finger on the pulse once again.

V
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - BobbyG
I wonder how close the camera needs to be to the lane? For instance up till recently, M8 in Glasgow had roadworks and SPECS. So when I pass a camera, just because it is on a pole at the side of the hard shoulder, does that necessarily mean it is "focussed" on the inside lane? Would it maybe make more sense for it to be aiming at the outside lane where perhaps more chance of speeders? Would you be confident about knowing which lane it was aiming at?

I previously posted a link regarding SPECS on the A77 in Ayrshire where they are permanently installed and Strathclyde Police announced proudly that since their installation traffic has slowed down dramatically and there were only very few people now speeding and getting caught.

Maybe speeding is still as bad, but its just that its in different lanes!
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - jacks
Would
you be confident about knowing which lane it was aiming at?

>>

Doesn't matter if you don't know which lane the camera is aiming at - just make sure you change lane at some point (and stay in it). ie ensure you pass camera 2 whilst driving in a different lane to the one you were in when you passed the first camera.

or stick to the limit
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - David Horn
This simply means that at roadworks each lane will be coned off from the next to make it impossible to change lane. I can't see how anyone can have an objecion to SPECS; they avoid all of the kerfuffle that GATSO's do in that they don't nab people who accidentally drift over the limit. Set 'em to something reasonable (GPS 90 or summat), and stick 'em on every motorway. And modify the software to get the tailgaters too.
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Baskerville
Yes, yes, the speed limit is to protect the workforce, but there are other potential hazards in roadworks 24/7: displaced/broken cones on the carriageway, broken road surface, unusual road layouts, tight bends, broken down vehicles on the carriageway, to name just a few.
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Lud
How hilarious. Keep weaving, chaps!
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Adam {P}
If I'd spent 400 grand on a set of cameras I'd be feeling a little hacked off now.

I second the post about knowing about it before though. I remember Dad telling me about changing lanes when I first started driving - I thought it was a myth though and he was trying to get me caught.

"The objection is to the ridiculously low 40mph speed limit "to protect the workforce" 24 hours a day even though there is no workforce to be seen most of the time and never any at 2.00am"

Sorry HJ I think you are wrong., two, three or four miles at 40 mph at 2:00am in the morning is going to add mere seconds to your overall journey. Given that there could be a shovel in your lane, or a split cone with its warning light on top wating to wreck your tyres is that such an issue?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Adam {P}
I'm an important man. I don't have time to spare seconds.
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Lud
Me too. And '2am in the morning' is tautological TVM.
'2am in the morning' is tautological TVM.

>>

No, the time of day is pertinent because limits could be variable at different times of day depending on whether workers are on site or not.

Where I disagree with TVM is that someone has to ensure that shivels are not left on the highway whether traffic is passing through at 40 or 70.
Shovels even !
Have you seen the damage a shivel can cause?

Of course, if you hit the shivel at 80mph and launch off the road, down an embankement, and end up crippled, incontinent and dribbling for life, I am sure you can claim damages for the shivel being left in the road. The money (reduced due to contributary negligence (ie excessive speed) will be a great comfort.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
he means the use of 2:00am and morning
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Pedant!
Shivels can fall off the back of a lorry into the fast lane at any time, I once hit a rock on the M4 which knocked out my sump, approx 30 miles from the nearest roadworks at the time.
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - Hamsafar
This news is years old, around 5-6 in fact.
One has to wonder the real motives behind raising it again.
Not enough tax being raised? Scraping the barrel?
Dealing with a NIP - Armitage Shanks {p}
Two things which may invalidate a NIP

1. The person signing it fails to state that he is acting on behalf of the Chief Constable

2. Go to Pepipoo for the full info. Basically you can fill in a PACE statement (you probably all know this already!). Basically you should not be threatened with prosecution unless you have been cautioned BEFORE giving information. NIP arrives, send it back with a pre-printed letter available from Pepipoo (Stating that Police and Criminal Evidence Act has not been complied with) and see what happens. I guess they have to send an officer round to your house to interview you under caution.
Dealing with a NIP - Armitage Shanks {p}
Now been advised that police are treating returned NIPs accompanied by a PACE statement as 'refusal to provide info' and giving out 3 points and a £250 fine! Any thoughts or comment please?
Beat the Specs cameras - how to - drbe
I have heard it said that you can avoid triggering the
overhead Gatsos on the M25 variable section by traversing two lanes
as you pass underneath the camera gantry.

>>

Honestly, it isn't my nature to be pedantic, but is it possible that when you write 'traverse' you mean 'straddle'?

If this is in fact true, this is a very useful piece of info.
Speed cameras at night. - 659FBE
Working from home, I seldom use motorways and have not yet fallen foul of speed cameras. It has occurred to me however, that I never see any flashes at night and presumably this would not be allowed due to the likelihood of accidents being caused. It would take a camera with, I suspect, a higher level of sophistication than those in use, to read a number plate at night in the presence of oncoming headlights.

I have some journeys planned and can take them at any time. I wonder if doing so at night would lower the risk of paying the speed tax. Possibly Mr. Brown's revenues will diminish when the clocks change if my suspicions are right.

Speed cameras at night. - Adam {P}
All speed cameras work at night.

Most mobile traps are beginning to use infra red now too so they work at night as well.

You've not seen a flash because you've been lucky - sadly, they're allowed to and when they do go off in your face, they're very bright!!
Speed cameras at night. - 659FBE
Hmm. pity.

Speed cameras at night. - Westpig
you don't seem to see many mobile camera vans around at unsocial hours though do you.........maybe the staffing levels are such that they just cover daylight hours and/or peak hours
Speed cameras at night. - googolplex
My theory is that you never see mobile cameras in the rain - plod doesn't seem to like getting wet....
But there again, its probably best to drive slower in such conditions...
Splodgeface
Speed cameras at night. - cockle {P}
Come to sunny Southend any Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Not unheard for them to be out at 3 in the morning, certainly active around early Sunday breakfast time 6-10. Especially on the 30 limit dual carriageways.
Speed cameras at night. - Roly93
Come to sunny Southend any Friday, Saturday or Sunday. Not unheard
for them to be out at 3 in the morning, certainly
active around early Sunday breakfast time 6-10. Especially on the 30
limit dual carriageways.

So we (the TAX payer) are paying these jobsworths double-time to make our lives a misery !
Speed cameras at night. - daveyjp
The only time I probably appeared on a speed camera photo was when someone didn't see two miles of 50 limit signs in roadworks on the M60. As they overtook me at well over 50 the camera went off - it was about 10.30pm and the flash in the car was so bright it woke my wife up! So they do work 25/7. Never seen a scamera van at night though.
I've only ever seen one speed trap at night - in the rain too!

I was under the impression that laser's a bit dodgy in the rain but they don't seem to care about that anymore.

The best one was on a wide 30mph road in Lancashire (used to be a 40) at 8am on a Sunday.

Quite ridiculous.
if you believe Motorcycle News the laser guns are most unreliable on bikes........but most people just accept the hit and pay it
I can well believe that westy.

Wasn't it also said that the gun has to be directly in line with the vehicle (i.e. - on a bridge) rather than to the side of the road?
that would explain a lot if it's true.........they seem to be mostly on bridges now, or they are where i drive
I think I got flashed - twin_peeks
I got think I got flashed this morning near vauxhall bridge rd, now the thing that is annoying/worrying me is I quickly checked my speedometer and saw I was doing no more than 25mph in a 30 mph zone. Now granted there was a car behind me but it was unsure of how far back it was and whether in was in the cameras direct sight.

Has there been instances of speed cameras clocking wrong speeds?, am I jumping to conclusions if there was another car in the vicinity at the time?

Im pretty annoyed because im almost 100% sure that I did not go over the limit.

Advice, info appreciated!
I think I got flashed - Adam {P}
Don't worry. If you really were going that slow then it will be obvious from the pictures due to the road markings. Add to that that pics are binned automatically if two cars are in there (or at least they should be).

Cameras are quite unreliable and mistakes happen. Frequently a red light camera flashes around here on green but as long as you stand your ground should something happen (it won't) then you'll be fine.
I think I got flashed - teabelly
I wouldn't count on them being binned. A chap in the local paper was hounded by the camera partnership for 6 months as the camera was set off by another vehicle. He was only doing 20 mph (claimed) in a 30 and they wouldn't leave him alone. They don't check the photos if they need the money. If they don't need the cash then they won't bother pursuing the more awkward cases. The amount of threatening behaviour that goes on from these people is dispicable.
teabelly
I think I got flashed - sierraman
Add to that that pics are binned automatically if two cars
are in there (or at least they should be).

No.I have a picture of my car ,and another,that cost me £60.
Beat the camera - Lounge Lizard
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nqW83FiqbU

Here's a Top Gear videoclip which shows one way to beat the speed camera; for the benefit of those who haven't seen it all ready.
Beat the camera - BobbyG
Except, if I am not mistaken, the car they use in that clip is a Lada Samara! No way would it exceed 30mph!
Fines and foreign cars - barchettaman
Mrs Barchetta is working in Leeds from December til February.
Courtesy of me driving it up for her, she will have our Astra (on its German plates) there.
When the inevitable happens, and she sets off a speed camera, what are the chances of the fine finding its way back to me in Germany? Are there Europe-wide reciprocal agreements in place?
Thanks in advance,
Barchettaman
Fines and foreign cars - Dwight Van Driver
Not yet but coming soon.

Depending on number of time flashed then the VRM may be put on special file to be picked up by ANPR
and big hassle if stopped.

Last time I was through Leeds there were some near hidden cameras on A.64 and the abound in numbers.

dvd
Fines and foreign cars - barchettaman
Cheers DVD.
Cats Eyes - Imagos
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/6595649.stm

It seems that Mr Brunstoms (the motorists friend) latest idea is cats eyes cameras.

Now why didn't 'eye' think of that!
What Type of Camera? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I was Northbound up the A1 a few days ago and went past a marked police car which was parked in the centre reservation, facing the on-coming traffic. There was one officer in the driver's seat and I didn't se anyone else in the car. There was a fairly large cylindrical object which clearly was a camera and looked as though it was clipped onto the driver's window. Didn't see anything that looked like a 'radar' and was travelling at a speed which might have me checking for a NIP in the post. Might it have been a speed camera, number plate checker or what? Please comment, it wasn't like anything I have seen before. Number plate recognition cameras aren't operated by the police are they? This was Northumbrland BTW
What Type of Camera? - stevied
"Yes, yes, the speed limit is to protect the workforce, but there are other potential hazards in roadworks 24/7: displaced/broken cones on the carriageway, broken road surface, unusual road layouts, tight bends, broken down vehicles on the carriageway, to name just a few."

Many of those hazards can abound in normal driving, surely? Should we drive at 40 all the time, just in case? No, make it 20 eh? In fact why don't we have a man with a flag walking in front?
What Type of Camera? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I don't quite follow your reply Stevied. Normal dual carriageway, 70 mph limit, no lane closures , no road works - just a marked police car with one man in it and some sort of camera, parked in the centre reservation. My question is does the siutation described sound like a one man speedtrap or what?
What Type of Camera? - GroovyMucker
AS, the police do use ANPR cameras. It's a pretty good tool to catch the ungodly, especially since those who don't insure their vehicles - or who drive uninsured vehicles, to be more correct - are often involved in other crimes.

I'm not familiar enough with the technology to identify what this device was, but I hope you weren't caught. I feared I'd been snapped twice a few weeks ago and had a slightly uncomfortable fortnight as a result.

What Type of Camera? - Bromptonaut
I don't quite follow your reply Stevied.

Stevie is replying to a post by Baskerville on 16 Oct 06!!!!
What Type of Camera? - MikeTorque
A one person operated auto-detect camera, they don't need 2 police persons in a car these days with the new camera technology. This type of speed detection is used to deter and remind motorist that they can't simplky buy the latest camera detectors and break the law of the land and drive at what speed they choose.

Best speed detecting device I know of is called a speedometer. I keep an eye on it and don't worry about who is keeping an eye on me.

The road death tole is holding around a steady 9 to 10 per day, 63 to 70 people die each week, we all need to contribute to road safety and drive more responsibly and within speed limits to help lives. The police are continually trying to get the message out to slow down and driver safely. Pity the young man didn't take any notice of the message as I witnessed him overtake me (safely as I had left plenty of space in front of me) then he overtook the next car on a rising hill bend, and then coming up to the top of a hill he decided to overtake for the 3rd turn only to be faced with a lorry in front of him with nowhere to go.
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 46 - milkyjoe
i was told at speed awareness class that they can only put speed cameras at sites where there has been a fatality or fatalities, were they lying or wot?
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 46 - Westpig
i was told at speed awareness class that they can only put speed cameras at
sites where there has been a fatality or fatalities were they lying or wot?

>
no..........but the figures can easily be skewed

e.g. (as happened near me).........one clown, driving at a ridiculous speed, high on drink & drugs has an accident which killed 5 in one go........5 is a magic number for a camera to be considered (i'm led to believe).......so next thing you know, there's the camera.......in a place it isn't really needed

or........known suicide spot. Someone jumps, then gets hit by vehicle whilst they're on the deck..
is a speed camera really needed there?...........more like a better fence at the top

would imagine a coach crash could easily mess up the figures

i'm not saying an automatic no to the camera, but the bigger picture needs to be looked at, not the rigid appliance of rules.........but hey ho, that's easier isn't it.
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 46 - TimOrridge
Hi,

I dont know if any of you know this area - The A616 Stocksbridge bypass

They have some of those specs Avaerage speed cameras, it is single carrige way so is 60mph is that right?
Well yesterday coming back from woodhead to M1, mind was some where else and lookad at speedo and was showing 71-72 so braked to 40 and passed second camera. There was sno one behind 1am this morning

Was going around 70 for 3/4 on measured distance and braked to 40 for lsat 1/4 of trap.

You reckon that will evened it out or am i banged to rights

Is this a $60 and 3 pointer or worse?
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 46 - milkyjoe
worse £60.oo in this country, need to know the over all dist to calc this one ie distance / time aggregate
The Speed Camera Thread - Volume 46 - MikeTorque
A change of policy means that speed cameras can be located areas as an accident prevention deterent, rather than waiting for someone to be killed first and then reacting after the event.

The facts are simple, people are dying on our roads every day. We all need to drive responsibly and that means driving as outlined in the highway code and legal limits set for each road by our legally appointed representives. If you exceed a limit you choose to put your life and everyone elses life around you at a higher risk of injury or death, and if you cause an incident as a result of exceeding the speed limit you only have yourself to blaim. Speeding increases the risk of serious injury and fatalities occurring.