Common Rail Diesel Woes - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
A couple of anecdotes relayed to me via a supplier of Automotive chemicals concerning CRD engines. As you know these new systems run at incredibly high pressures and inject the fuel directly into the combustion chamber, A peugeot was suffering from a misfire on one cylinder, a compression test revealed almost non-existent compression so the head was removed. A neat hole had been drilled through the piston by a malfunctioning injector squirting a needle sized jet at the piston instead of a fine mist. In a similar type of fault affecting two cylinders the 'jet had obliquely drilled through the edge of the crown of one piston, through the wall of the cylinder and into its' neighbour!
As I say this is anecdotal so I have no proof of its' authenticity but it gives you food for thought!
Re: Common Rail Diesel Woes - John S
Andrew

High pressure jet cutting is an established engineering process for producing accurate, clean holes and edges, so it is possible these stories are true.

Regards

John
Re: Common Rail Diesel Woes - Ian L
High pressure water jets are used to cut steel and glass at quite high speed and very accurately.

Doesnt sound too unlikely

Ian