Golf MKIII - Irratic temp - PaulC2004
Just driving into work this morning I noticed that the temp on my golf rising and dropping.. Typically it'd drop to just above the 70 mark on the motorway and then rise to it's normal (just below 90) in standing traffic. Before I noticed this, the temp has always been static at its normal and once risen it's does not really move regardless of weather etc. Thermostat etc working fine as fan kicks in OK when stood in traffic a while.
Will check the levels etc later on, meanwhile has anyone got any suggestions please ?
thanks
Golf MKIII - Irratic temp - jc2
Thermostat or temp. gauge;most likely thermostat as it should not drop down to 70deg. after warming up.Sounds as tho' it has failed open as temp. goes down at high airflow thro' rad(m/way) and goes up in traffic(no air flow).The fan will cut in when water is hot irrespective of thermostat.
Golf MKIII - Irratic temp - PaulC2004
Hi, yes that would make perfect sense ( thermostat). Luckily its a cheap part to purchase and easy to fit. I'll give it a go.

I'm right to say that running it in the meanwhile wont cause any harm aren't I ?

Cheers
Golf MKIII - Irratic temp - jc2
Yes-run it!!