Troublesome Scenic - colin-e
Our 2005 Renault Scenic has had the following problems :

1) Steering lock failing to disengage - has been replace under warranty, but the new one still intermittently sticks.
2) Auto-box not changing smoothly - gearbox ECU changed under warranty.
3) Gear lever came off - repaired under warranty.
4) Rear brake squeak - fixed TWICE, but now back again (apparantly Renault will only fix it twice under warranty!)
5) No spare wheel!!! We specified almost every option, but the salesman failed to mention that a spare wheel was an option!! Guess what - tear in tyre and no spare to put on!! What good is a can of puncture repair gunk???
6) Drivers leather seat split (after just 8 months!!)
7) The digital dashboard is now playing up - we do 8mph when stationary and the engine off!!!
8) Various trim loose - fixed under warranty.

Have we just been unlucky, or are other people having similar problems?

The supplying dealer was next to useless, but we have switched to another who is much better.
Troublesome Scenic - Collos25
Your problems are just warmers for the real problems to come judging by the mail on this webb site about Renaults.
Troublesome Scenic - Round The Bend
To balance this, our 2005 Grand Scenic has not had a single problem .......................... so far (touch wood etc).
_______
IanS
Troublesome Scenic - Altea Ego
My thoughts

you have taken the major step in finding a good dealer, Many dont get that far!

5/ is not a problem. I assume from this you have a Grande Scenic. the spre wheel thingy is clearly mentioned in the sales brochures, suprised you didnt notice it. Its not a "scenic" specific thing. ON my Touran 7 seater I have no option for a spare wheel - its gunk or nothing,.

4/ Is utter rubbish, warranty is warranty is warranty. If its within the manufacturers warranty they have to fix it, 1 twice, three million times if required. (unless of course they say its because the pads are consumables - in which case tell them its the callipers. they are not consumables!)

1/ Is the same as a regular key problem. If the car wheels are not straight ahead there is the possibility there is pressure on the lock,, just like you sometimes need to waggle the wheel when you unlock with an ordinary key, sometimes you need to do it with a keyless car.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Troublesome Scenic - stunorthants
Modern Renaults are not known for consistant quality - some people have no problems and other have loads - this information is common knowledge - you bought the french equivilent of a Rover.

No offense, but id suggest you research the reliability record of the car you are looking to purchse more throughly next time if you want to spend less time drinking cheap coffee in your car dealers service department, unless of course this is a hobby of yours.

No french car make is a byword for reliability and quality - the car in front is a Toyota! Or infact many other makes...
Troublesome Scenic - nick62
Went to look at a Scenic some time ago when SWMBO was thinking of changing her car.

The quality and fit of the interior trim left a lot to be desired.....like a cheap toy. Needless to say we did't buy one.
Troublesome Scenic Continued... - colin-e
Just to follow up..

The car is a Grand Scenic, but does have a space underneath for a spare wheel - it just hasn't been fitted! Surely when you ask the salesman whether there is anything you've missed off, he would say that a spare wheel was an option (especially as the car cost £23k with all the options!!).

The steering lock won't disengage whatever you do!! It doesn't matter what you wiggle!! (or even if you remove the centre console trim and follow the emergency instructions in the manual!!)

Oh, and the fuel economy is poor - 23mpg if you are careful (I can get that from my '82 4.7 litre Porsche 928S without even trying - so its not my driving style!).

However - it is a nice car to drive - very comfortable, and its very practical - its just assembled by chimps!!!

Troublesome Scenic Continued... - Altea Ego
Please, do not tell me you paid £23k for this!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Troublesome Scenic Continued... - Round The Bend
Your mpg is miles out. Ours is an underpowered petrol 1.6 but gives 32 mpg around the houses and 38 mpg on a fully loaded run. Can't believe you have n't queried this with the dealer before!
_______
IanS
He has a big 2 litre auto.

Plus the rear brakes are binding - hence the squeeking!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Yes, it cost £23k. I think it was £18k before we started adding the extras (they sure add up!!!).

Yes, its a 2 litre automatic - but the dealers can't find anything wrong with the fuel consumption - it just doesn't come close to Renaults figures.

No, the brakes aren't binding - the squeak is due to dust that accumulates around the calipers due to their (bad) design.

Any suggestions for an alternative 7 seater car (not van) that can seat me in comfort (I'm 6'5"), with a large boot (with the rear seats flat), and some style.
I would say a VW Touran, but my list of problems makes yours look like a footnote,.

Why did you pay full list for this thing? 23k? Thats serious quality car money, At that price I could have a got a very decently loaded brand new Espace at discount.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Troublesome Scenic Continued... - PW
New S- Max looks good, as does the Galaxy IMHO. Only ones that, personally, I think look remotely stylish.
I'd go for the S-Max but there isn't an auto option.

The price at the time wasn't bad - we got a better PX for our old Toyota Picnic than Glasses had as the top end retail price! Add in 0% finance from Renault (we've left the money in the bank earning interest) and it looked like a decent offer.

Some things can look too good to be true!!!
Troublesome Scenic Continued... - jase1
How did you manage to split the leather seat?

I refuse to believe that faults like this are entirely down to the manufacturer. Much as I am not a fan of French cars, this sounds like abuse to me.
The leather seat split where the cover folds under the front - the material was just tad tight so was under stress - once it started to go, it just got worse.

Renault acknowledged the fault and replaced the cover without question.

Troublesome Scenic Continued... - Victorbox
"Any suggestions for an alternative 7 seater car (not van)"
My new model Zafira has been perfect from day 1 & I'm 6' 4". Even though the Zafira is the size of a grand Scenic & my engine is the lowly 1600cc, I'm getting 38 to 40mpg in mixed driving now the engine fully loosened up.
Troublesome Scenic - Avant
Try a test drive in a Toyota Verso and a Mazda 5 and see if they fit you and your family. Either should be reliable, and the higher-powered ones are apparently good to drive. And there is no problem with wipers set up for LHD.

Ford really must have a death wish if they have let the S-Max go out without an auto option. Is that true, even for the versions that share engines with the Mondeo?
Id second the Verso. Its even slightly stylish apparently.

On the subject of spending £23k.... are you insane? On a Renault Scenic! Or any Renault for that matter.
I think id have bought a Kia Sedona and kept the change - may not be the most stylish car in the world, but great value and an OK drive. You could prob part-ex your Scenic and still afford a new Sedona!

Whats really quite amusing if you wanna look at the funny side, is that you can buy a fault ridden car for that kinda money at all. Just goes to show that even today, throwing money at a car purchase still doesnt guarantee satisfaction.

Bad luck though - I think we have all at sometime bought a lemon.... perhaps not for 23k though. Most expensive piece of fruit you will ever buy :-)
Troublesome Scenic - Enoughalready
We had a 2005 Scenic. No faults at all and we miss it now!
Troublesome Scenic - PW
Forgot about the Mitsubishi Grandis- really like the looks of that too, and just checked- do an auto.

Also forgot about the Mazda 5 and think that looks good (don't know how I forgot as there is one round the corner from me).
Lemons are certainly bitter!!

Anyone got any experience with a Hyundai Santa-Fe?? Are they any good?? The 7 seater version could do as a replacement for both the Scenic and our elderly Discovery.
Troublesome Scenic - Happy Blue!
The Santa-Fe is too new for reports of reliability, but we have a Hyundai Trajet and i know lots of people with Hyundais. We all say the same thing. Reliable cars, a little dull and the trim is not of the highest quality. However....the most recent cars e.g. Sonata, Tucson and Santa-Fe are much better at interior trim and the new Diesel engine in the Santa-Fe with auto is meant to be just fine.

You know it crazy that the Mazda 5 is not available with auto in the UK. In some markets overseas you cannot buy the manual. My wife would replace the Hyundai for the Mazda 5 (sliding doors, shorter car) now if they did an auto.
Troublesome Scenic - PW
Spotted this on What Car- new Kia Carens.

www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-pictures.aspx?RT=890

Not sure about the looks- but think could be a grower. Don't know when it's out though.
Troublesome Scenic - Altea Ego
before you go rushing off colin-e to buy a new car, consider the depreciation on your current one,

Trading it in will cost you al least £10,000 pounds, possible as much as £13,000.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Our local Renault dealer has a 1 year old Grand Scenic on the forecourt at £9995.

I know the depreciation!!!

But when you get so fed up with the car you have 'cos, to be blunt, its rubbish; you have to consider all the options. Do we keep it until the warranty runs out, then drop it ASAP (having suffered even more depreciation), or do we sell it on now and lick our financial wounds?

Its not the money that's important. its that I don't have any faith in Renault (either the car or the dealers!).

Perhaps Renault should spend less on F1 and more on ensuring the build quality of their cars, otherwise they'll just end up with more dissatisfied customers.

----------------------------------
Colin-E
----------------------------------
Troublesome Scenic - BobL
I own a 54 plate dci 1.9 scenic dynamique and I can vouch for the poor interior quality both in build and materials. I definately would not buy another new renault. But at least I did not pay dealer prices. A new 2006 model grand scenic (DYNAMIQUE 1.9 dci 130 panoramic roof and sliding centre storage 7 seat £13,995) at Motorprovider.is £14k. The 2 lt petrol is cheaper. The prices haven`t changed at all really for last 18 months at this dealer
Troublesome Scenic - jase1
Lemons are certainly bitter!!
Anyone got any experience with a Hyundai Santa-Fe?? Are they any
good?? The 7 seater version could do as a replacement for
both the Scenic and our elderly Discovery.

All cars have their positives and negatives -- Hyundais and Kias are easier than some because the negatives are obvious for all to see. They're a little bit tinny and plasticky inside (even the latest Sonatas and Santa Fes don't have quite the quality feel of some other cars), and they're not the most exciting drive. However that's where the down-sides end because generally Hyundais/Kias are as reliable as just about anything else out there, no worse than Fords, VWs etc. Maybe a bit worse than the Hondas and Lexuses but actually not all that far behind any more.
My mum has a Hyundai Coupe and while the interior isnt the highest quality materials, its well screwed together and proving durable. It has also done 15,000 hard-driven, completely fault-free miles and the dealer bends over backwards for us. And it only cost £16500 which comes with the 5 year warranty and ours with 3 years servicing. Its a no-brainer when you look at the ownership package.

What you have to ask yourself, is doing you want cutting edge design that may or may not work all the time, or a slighty duller choice that will most likely always work and if by chance it doesnt, the dealer will be more likely to take pitty on you.

My family have owned 3 Korean cars over the last 5 years and all have had superb dealers and been utterly reliable.
Troublesome Scenic - BobbyG
I have a 2004 New shape Scenic 1.9dci Dynamique. This is the third Scenic I have had and I think it may be the last.

Have had numerous faults with it and as a result it has been into the dealer quite often who seems to always need 3 shots at fixing everything!

I like the car, the engine the gadgets etc but I can't say I have been overwhelmed with the experience of owning this car. I have owned it since new, maybe I am just due a change away from renault.

My other car is a Skoda Fabia vrS, got it used with 20000 miles on the clock and it has not missed a beat, not had a squeak, rattle or anything!

Having said all that, I just cannot believe anyone would pay £23k for a Scenic. Why did you do that? What options did you get put on it to take it up to that price - a Clio?
Troublesome Scenic - mlj
Just to say that if the Toyota Verso doesn't suit, the Previa might. I can vouch personally for the positive attitude and helpfulness of Toyota dealers. It's my hard earned money that buys and maintains my car and so far, Toyota are the best.
I have owned VW, Honda, Seat and Mazda.
Troublesome Scenic - bumbler
Hello,

Somebody mentioned the Mitsubishi Grandis. I had a sit in one in the dealers showroom and there was less room for the driver than in the small Colt alongside it. The centre console really intrudes into the legroom

Ain't car design a funny thing?
Its a shame really because the Space Wagon that went before it was very spacious and airy.