Daddy's little helper - type's'
I asked my 4 year old daughter to help me clean the car over the weekend.
She obvioulsy got bored with doing that and managed to reach up and get hold of my oil can and proceeded to empty the contents in the front and rear brakes soaking all the pads and discs in engine oil.
How good is she ?

I sent my wife out to test drive it afterwards - she came back ok.

Have your little ones done anything as clever or is it just me.
Daddy's little helper - mss1tw
Change the pads.
Daddy's little helper - barchettaman
Change your daughter.
Daddy's little helper - Altea Ego
Now forgive me for asking, why were you cleaning the car with a can of oil?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Daddy's little helper - Nickdm
A few year's back my then 2-year old "rinsed" the bonnet with a bucket of gravel when the water was all gone....

My other son recently thought he'd draw a sketch on the hatchback of the wife's Panda... with a pebble....

Getting a new car in October and I've already decreed that there will be no food or shoes allowed inside the car, and gloves on at all times....!
Daddy's little helper - Mookfish
Not one of mine, but a neighbor asked his 17 year old daughter, who shared his car, to top up the washer fluid. She got the wrong cap and put it in the oil filler cap!

He realised before the car was started and got it towed to a garage to be sorted.
Daddy's little helper - wotspur
my son who starts school tomorrow, back at 2.5 sat in the front seat, with my keys whilst I spoke to the neighbour, then suddenly heard the engine turn over, fortunately not ingear and a very quiet road. He's never had another opportunity sincet
Daddy's little helper - SjB {P}
One day last year, a friend's son wanted to "help" me clean the V70.
After he dropped the sponge on a flower bed I *just* got to him in time before it was wiped down the front passenger door.
I didn't realise I could move that fast.

Later on, after an otherwise uneventful day (I thought), he and his parents left, whoosh, as if the end of the world was nigh.
A few days later I found out why...

The postman arrived bearing a heavy box that said "B&W replacement element service".
"Huh?" thought I.

To cut a long story short, whilst under his Dad's "supervision" (which involved reading the Sunday Torygraph whilst his son did what he liked) matey had poked out three tweeters and one bass unit in three of my five prized loudspeakers, and his parents didn't want to be around when I found out!

Apparently my wife found B&W's appropriate phone number on the web and then when the call was answered started with "Please save my marriage..."
The laugh at the other end of the phone betrayed that this wasn't the first such conversation!;-)

A few weeks ago, another friend turned up in his shiny new BMW, and whilst he was showing me round "kerdoing, kerdoing" betrayed that his two year old son had picked up a stone and started to hammer the driver's door with it to get attention!

Well, our twins arrive in a maximum of three week's time so I guess I have some fun ahead.
Daddy's little helper - Red Baron
My 2½ year old daughter helpfully cleaned the Mondeo with a stone (whilst my wife was talking to someone 20 yards away). Only the roof and boot lid were untouched.

That evening I spent two hours t-cutting and polishing. You can still see the scratches in the right light.
Daddy's little helper - barchettaman
....our twins arrive in a maximum of three week's time so I guess I have some fun ahead.....

Understatement of the decade there SjB. One´s more than enough.
Daddy's little helper - deepwith
When our eldest son was 3, he spent many happy hours watching and helping a friend and his son building a car on an old chasis. He was particularly taken by the bending of metal onto the wooden shell with a hammer like implement. Later in the summer our neighbour took delivery of her new car .....do I need to say more?
Daddy's little helper - deepwith
Oh yes - I also note that no one has picked up on the fact that he "sent his wife on a test drive" - hmmm - does she KNOW she was on a test drive with potentially no brakes?
Daddy's little helper - bignick
Oh yes - I also note that no one has picked
up on the fact that he "sent his wife on a
test drive" - hmmm - does she KNOW she was
on a test drive with potentially no brakes?

I assumed that this was tongue in cheek as I doubt any contributors here are actually criminally insane.
Daddy's little helper - helicopter
I assumed that this was tongue in cheek as I doubt any contributors here are actually criminally insane

I dunno Nick - I wonder sometimes - some seem pretty damn close........................
Daddy's little helper - No FM2R
>>as I doubt any contributors here are actually criminally insane.

Hey, you speak for yourself........
Daddy's little helper - Adam {P}
>>Oh yes - I also note that no one has picked up on the fact that he "sent his wife on a test drive" - hmmm - does she KNOW she was on a test drive with potentially no brakes?<<

I saw that but I thought he was joking!
Daddy's little helper - Big Bad Dave
"After he dropped the sponge on a flower bed I *just* got to him in time before it was wiped down the front passenger door.
I didn't realise I could move that fast."

I really can't wait to meet you for that beer SjB. You sound like the kind of guy who irons his underpants.
I really can't wait to meet you for that beer SjB.
You sound like the kind of guy who irons his underpants.

LOL! :-))

I promise you not, or my socks!
(And no, the missus doesn't iron them for me, either)

Having saved and then spent the considerable sums of money that I did on both, I do however have a lot of pride in my wheels and hifi system!

Hope all's well in Warsaw.
No travel currently on the cards - Unlike usually, UK is my limit until the kids arrive - but will give you a shout when I'm next in town.
Daddy's little helper - bignick
Re the oily brakes get the car professionally cleaned and new pads fitted BEFORE allowing it to be driven

Re the paintwork damage

Take your pick -

be a good concerned and understanding parent

OR

be obsessed about the surface appearance of a tool for providing transportation.

Daddy's little helper - AR-CoolC
Re the paintwork damage
Take your pick -
be a good concerned and understanding parent
OR
be obsessed about the surface appearance of a tool for providing
transportation.

I'm both, and my daughter is now a good concerned and understanding child, that knows NOT TO SCRATCH DADDYS CAR :)
Daddy's little helper - Adam {P}
I remember when Dad bought a new (ish) Peugeot 405 having come from a Mk2 Golf GTi so all the gadgets and stuff were of great amusement to us. I was demonstrating the remote central locking (when a seperate plip thing was the norm) to a neighbourhood friend when I dropped it down a grid.

Well - I burst into tears fully expecting the worst from Dad and picturing him going absolutely ballistic so it was of great surprise when he saw me crying and said "Don't worry Son - it's only a piece of plastic".

He did without the remote bit of the central locking from then on and to this day I'm still amazed he never blew up at me.
Daddy's little helper - Altea Ego
Or the friend that came round with a brand new (and i mean that day) car with their child, My child and their child decide its a good idea to play baseball in the drive......................

Todays conundrum

Child A brings round baseball bat and ball
Child A has Ball
Child B has Bat
Car C has damage
Child B is standing by car

Which parent is to blame Parent A or parent B

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Daddy's little helper - Round The Bend
Reminds me of the time when my brother and a few enterprising mates used an activities period at the school to clean teacher cars (for a modest sum). They were doing quite nicely until a thicker mate joined in and used a brillo pad to get off a few stubborn marks off one poor teacher's pride and joy.
_______
IanS
Daddy's little helper - bathtub tom
I couldn't understand what was causing the scratches on the roof, and around the tailgate on one car, until I took the kids to school one day.
They'd get out, and throw whatever they'd got to carry onto the roof, they'd then drag out of the boot anything in there, before dragging their stuff off the roof.
Now they're older they take much more care of their own cars, funny that!
I couldn't understand what was causing the scratches on the roof,
and around the tailgate on one car,

When I worked for a previous employer I had a colleague who used to do this every day with his rigid briefcase, watched with my own eyes from my office window.

One lunch time, I commented.
His reply?

"I hate the wretched thing (a Cavvy 1.6) and it's my act of vengeance at not being given a choice!"

Sure enough, the roof was in a chronic state.
I have no idea if he was made to pay when the car went back to the leasco.
Daddy's little helper - madf
One of my uncles bought a brand new Daimler when I was 6 years old and gave my father and I a ride in it when it was two days old. I have been told - but of course have no recollection of it - that I was sick in the backseat, over the backseat, the carpets, the front seat and my uncle.

It has brown leather upholstery I am told which took years to remove the smell from!:-)

madf
Daddy's little helper - Aretas
"When I worked for a previous employer I had a colleague who used to do this every day with his rigid briefcase, watched with my own eyes from my office window."

We had an engineering director who did this. His car was a 5 Series BMW.
Daddy's little helper - Lud
He did without the remote bit of the central locking from
then on and to this day I'm still amazed he never
blew up at me.

What a nice man he must be Adam.

I still think with shame of the many times I have exploded in bellowing rage over some nipperish misdemeanour, and then had to apologise and dry tears etc. They take it to heart so, poor little things. Or they come on tough in self-defence and make you even angrier.
Daddy's little helper - colin-e
If you ever get bird droppings on your car, don't ask my son for help unless you have hidden the brillo pads first!!!

We have a "unique" paint finish on our DIscovery!!
Daddy's little helper - PhilW
"He did without the remote bit of the central locking from then on and to this day I'm still amazed he never blew up at me.

What a nice man he must be Adam. "

Reminds me of when, many years ago, Mum walked into house, said to me that she had had an awful fright. Had gone to shop (on steep hill, parked car on offside of road) when a woman came in and said she had seen a car rolling backwards down hill with no driver. Oh dear, said mum, someone must have left handbrake off. Went outside, surprised to see her car (well, dad's newish Riley 4/68) 100 yards down road, neatly against (offside) kerb. Luckily no damageapparent on that sideof the car. I said I would have a look and make sure. Walked out of house to see nearside of car from front headlight to rear fin(!) totally destroyed - must have hit about six trees and/or lampposts before parking itself against opposite kerb. Dad came in from work having walked past offside of car, was given a really nice tea, slippers, glass of whisky etc before news was broken - Oh did he laugh!! I think not! But nor did he go up the wall - accidents will happen he said - serious things he was very cool and calm about, it was the trivial annoyances that drove him mad! (Bit like me!!)

--
Phil
Daddy's little helper - IanJohnson
When I was about 5 I was playing in the car (1960 Consul with fly off handbrake) on the sloping drive and am told I let off the handbrake - I denied it but was the only one in the car. Made a nice hole in the garage door panel, don't recall any damage to the car .
Daddy's little helper - Pete M
Speaking of Brillo pads, in around 2000 I bought a fairly cheap Rover 214Si, which seemed quite tidy. After a couple of days I decided to wash it. All over every surface were tiny scratches just like those from an abrasive pad. I gave up on washing it and never did. I think the dealer must have given it the 'baby oil' treatment on the lot to hide the scratches. It survived as family transport until I moved back to NZ, but apparently not long after. The young man I sold it to probably didn't heed my warnings about checking the water level *every* day, and it died on the A38, costing him a pretty penny to get towed. Well, I did only get UKP 60 for it, which for me was great, to have the use of the car right up till the day before my departure.