Volvo S80 Front Brakes - Lightshade
i had my front brake pads changed recently. soon after that, one day i was driving on the North circular when a driver in the next lane gestured to me that something was wrong with my bront wheel drivers side. i stopped at a stopped immediately to find that there was some smoke coming up from the brakes area and a strong smell of rubber. and there was so much heat. I poured some water on it to cool it down. The next day i went back to the garage where the brake pads had been fitted. I explained exactly what happened to the guy. He rais the car up on the ramp and took the wheel off. Upon inspecting the brakes he said that the reason why this had happed was because he had only changed the brake pads and not the disks and since the brake pads were new and the disk was old, this sort of thing happens but there was nothing wrong with the brakes since they were working properly. He assured me it shouldnt happen again and put back the wheel and i was on my way.
Since that time i realised that i was using more fuel than i normally did but i ever suspected anything. until last night when a similar incident as the one described above happened again. Except that this time when i drive i can feel that when im accelarating the car feels like im applying the brakes at the same time.I have a feeling that the brakes on the front wheel are constantly on which is what i think causes the friction which heats up the wheel. And also yesterday on a 20mile stretch on road that i use all the time, i used almost 30quid worth of fuel which normally takes me longer distances. Actually my fuel ran out and I had to be rescued. the wheel was very hot and there was also a very strong smell of rubber.
Help, does anyone know what happening! by the way the brake pads were changed on bothe front wheels and its only the one wheel on the drivers side that is doing this. i do not have any brake warning on my computer, actually i dont have any warning at all.
So if someone knows, can u please help!!

Volvo S80 Front Brakes - LHM
As regards the new pads/old disks remark - that's just rubbish! There might be some level of braking impairment if the disks are badly scored, but certainly no over-zealousness....

The S80 front brakes are a very conventional 'floating caliper' design and it's difficult to know what a reputable garage could have done to foul things up. The pads have become seized in some way and it obviously needs sorting ASAP. Have you tried jacking the offending wheel up and rotating the wheel to see if it's binding?

The easiest solution is to take it into a Volvo dealer and explain the situation - they're usually pretty sympathetic.
Volvo S80 Front Brakes - adverse camber
has he fitted the correct pads?

istr that there are a number of variants of disk diameter and pads on the S80 ?
Thank LHM. I also think that the new pads old disk explanation is rubish. I have tried to jack the car but its an automatic and i can only turn the wheels when the gear is in neutral and i can only put the gear in neutral when the engine is on.So i havnt been confident enuf to jack the car while the engine is running..as u can see im no car buff.
The reason why i had not gone to a Volvo dealer to have my pads changed in the first place was because they had quoted me almost double what an ordinary garage would charge. And everyone had told me changing pads was a routine exercise..So i guess if i went back there with the pads problem they would give me the eye if u know what I mean but i guess i will have no choice than to take it in. Thanks for your help, i guess this is what you get for wanting cheap things.

And to mark99..i was told it was the correct pads but i have no way of verifying that..and i dont know about the other question..maybe someone can help with the anser to that..
So far as I recall, there are two disk diameters - but the pads are the same....

Just switch the ignition off whilst the car is in 'N' - you won't be able to remove the key but the transmission will still be in neutral!

As to the dealer - is there another one near who doesn't know you?
Oh - and don't forget to apply the handbrake firmly... :-)
Volvo S80 Front Brakes - piston power
sounds like a seized/sticking brake caliper, you have to push the piston back to fit new pads, but usually if it is very tight going back you tell the customer they require a new caliper! however if some monkey as just pushed it back and fitted the pads that's out of order, he sounds like he's fobbing you off with the new pads old discs because most brake discs will take 2-3 sets of pads depending on driver, my advice would be to take it to a reputable garage have them check it and get a writen report for you to take to the original garage for a claim. let us know how you get on??
thanks guys for your help. LHM, i have jacked the car as per your instructions. the wheel turns but not freely.You can tell its been held by the pads.I will take the car to a volvo dealer..got a Friday booking. keeping my fingers crossed they wont charge me and arm and a leg.I have never spent less that 100 quid everytime i have gone to a volvo dealer.so i would want to avoid very much going there if i can.But i will go and will come back and tell you what happens