Forth & other bridges in trouble - henry k
Coverage on BBC R4 re corrosion of the main cables of the Forth bridge.
If it is not solved then a weight restriction will be applied, in a few years time, so trucks will be banned, causing serious damage to commerce in the area.

It was suggested that an additional bridge is built but it is a long lead time.

news.scotsman.com/topics.cfm?tid=654&id=1286862006
Forth & other bridges in trouble - BobbyG
IIRC the second Forth Bridge has already been given the go ahead?
Forth & other bridges in trouble - Pugugly {P}
second Forth Bridge has already been given the go ahead

It'll be the third forth bridge not the second (SORRY COULDN'T RESIST ;-)))
Forth & other bridges in trouble - henry k
IIRC the second Forth Bridge has already been given the go ahead?

>>
They were saying not, hence even if construction work started today it would be a few years to completion.
In the meanwhile add on all the enquiries etc prior to even awarding a contract.

Current remedial plan is to try and dehumidify the cables by blowing air inside them.
Forth & other bridges in trouble - daveyjp
A plan to increase charges to pay for repairs was thrown out after the intervention of Mr Gordon Brown who was well aware of a by-election at the Fife end of the bridge. When restrictions come in he may regret his decision.
Forth & other bridges in trouble - RichardW
Actually, it's the fourth Forth bridge, as there is also the Kincardine bridge the other side of Grangemouth. I believe construction has started on the new crossing.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Forth & other bridges in trouble - Lud
The old three-of-diamonds railway bridge, surely one of our very finest steel structures if not the finest, must be laughing up its sleeve at the sight of this brash whippersnapper already attacked by steelworm....

'Haven't you heard of paint lad? I'd get some sharpish if I were you, or you may embarrass us all by falling in...'
Forth & other bridges in trouble - mr.freezer
Simply raise the council tax for those who insist on living in Fife and working in Edinburgh to pay for a new one.

On a serious note though, a new bridge will not solve the congestion side of things as the main problem is going left or right after your accross it (southbound). They are doing something about it now but how effective it will be remains to be seen.
Forth & other bridges in trouble - Old Navy
Does anybody know how many bridges our politicians will use our money to replace in Iraq, Afganistan, and Lebanon before they get round to fixing our infrastucture.
Forth & other bridges in trouble - Xileno {P}
I could tell you a lot but had better not, Official Secrets blah blah blah. Imagine your worst case scenario and double it, you probably won't be too far off.
Forth & other bridges in trouble - Lud
Are you trying to alarm us Xileno?

Have you any idea how awful a worst case scenario some of us can imagine?

Not the sort of thing that can be meaningfully doubled, knowImean?
I can say nothing.
Are you not being serious? Sounds fair enough to me.