At last a quick JCB - daveyjp
317 mph in a JCB! Pity the ones with buckets aren't as quick.

www.jcbdieselmax.com/html/home.php

More remarkable is the engines and gearboxes are all JCB manufactured and used in their everyday vehicles.

Quarter of a mile turning circle isn't too convenient though.

At last a quick JCB - massey
And it runs on red diesel, half the cost of overtaxed petrol
At last a quick JCB - glowplug
They're only entering that cos they don't have a white van!

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
At last a quick JCB - Hamsafar
Seeing as it looks like a rocket, it's a pretty non event, yes rockets are fast!
They could have at least made it look like plant machinery, then I would be impressed!
At last a quick JCB - glowplug
Wait til they fit a tow bar or back hoe..

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
At last a quick JCB - midlifecrisis
We should get in front of it on its record run and drive at 15mph. See how he feels then!!!
At last a quick JCB - chairmanmatt
"We should get in front of it on its record run and drive at 15mph. See how he feels then!!!"

Ha ha! True!
I've just started a new job, which takes a minimum 50 min drive from home. I can go 2 routes, the latter half both using country 'A' roads. One is always full of tractors and the other is being changed from single carriageway to dual, subsequently always being slowed down by JCB's.
At last a quick JCB - Dynamic Dave
We should get in front of it on its record run and drive at 15mph. See how he feels then!!!

But have you seen how fast some of the modern JCB's go? Clocked one the other day doing 45 mph.
At last a quick JCB - Xileno {P}
There's a fast military version with a massive scoop. Transported by Hercules to the front line where it can rapidly do its business. A really smart piece of kit.
At last a quick JCB - BazzaBear {P}
But have you seen how fast some of the modern JCB's go? Clocked one the other day doing 45 mph.

Yes, I've seen them doing 50 or 60mph. It's a bit worrying really. Would you want to be doing that speed on those big, wobbly, low pressure tyres and that high wobbly suspension?
I wonder if they have a button on the cab which stiffens the suspension up dramatically to make them safer on the road?
At last a quick JCB - David Horn
and that high wobbly suspension?

They don't have any suspension IIRC.
At last a quick JCB - henry k
317 mph in a JCB!

>>
The lateat is
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/5273540....m

A car built by JCB has broken the diesel engine land speed record after reaching 328.767mph (529km/h).

An attempt to better the record will be made on Wednesday.
At last a quick JCB - henry k
From the BBC video I see that a JCB had to push start it.

It also makes an interesting sound when flat out.
At last a quick JCB - rtj70
Apparently most land speed record vehicles get a push start. Diesel or not.
JCB's Dieselmax has broken the record. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Great isn't it for us Dieselheads. That was yesterdays record and they are going for a faster speed today.
The JCB website has got lots of pictures and the latest news.
Unlike the BBC.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
JCB's Dieselmax has broken the record. - JH
Now up to 350mph and apparently 6th gear still not used. Probably needs a bit of running in at under 300.
JH
JCB's Dieselmax has broken the record. - Brooklands
Just watched the video on the BBC site. Very interesting - apparantly its doing about 12mpg on the speed run, which is a lot better than Thrust SSC managed when it went supersonic - its was managing 42 YARDS to the gallon! Also it seems that they can't go any faster becuase they've reached the limits of the tyres.

It will be interesting to see how fast it can go if they get better tyres, the world land speed record for an internal combustion engine driven car is only 409.277 mph (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_speed_record ) and was set over 40 years ago.

Brooklands
JCB's Dieselmax has broken the record. - Lud
Didn't even notice Goldenrod at the time, what with all those jet monsters going faster but of course not real cars. But John Cobb exceeded 400mph one way nearly twenty years before that, in 1947.

Would have thought they might manage better tyres these days, or perhaps just use metal wheels like those jet things.
JCB's Dieselmax has broken the record. - rtj70
Well it went somewhat quicker yesterday. Average was about 350mph but actuals were 365.779mph and 335.695mph. And they never got into sixth gear so they might be going faster yet. What an advert for JCB engineering.