Motorways and weekend drivers - wotspur
On the M25,on Sat, in no particaular hurry so doing just 65 in the 2nd of the 4lanes, but after a while I looked in the rear view mirror to see how many cars were still in the outside 2 lanes going slower than I had been, and yet lane 2 was basically empty.
Don't get me wrong I wasn't undertaking I just choose to drive in the least populated lane and refuse to slow down to blend in with the WEEKEND motorway drivers, most of whom only visit the inside lane upon entering and leaving the motorway.
Motorways and weekend drivers - Pugugly {P}
Dunno where people get their Motorway training, There is a lenghty bit of motorway standard A class Dual locally, the myth amongst a lot of (educated) locals is that the speed limit on this is 60. Any wonder that 4 lanes entirely baffle them ?
Motorways and weekend drivers - Phil I
> the myth amongst a lot of (educated) locals is that the speed limit on this is 60

Have won several small wagers on this point. Please PU do not give any publicity to this fact.:-)

Phil I
Of course everyone knows the speed limits on Dual Carriageways is 60 mph :-)
Motorways and weekend drivers - Mookfish
Many people believe this, thats why so many cars travel at 70 on dual carrigeway A roads, if they thought the limit was 70 they would be doing 80 like they do on a motorway.
Motorways and weekend drivers - none
I've seen it so often. Cars cruising along unimpeded in the inside lane, the centre lane jugglers switching lanes, and the stationary one's in the 'fast lane' looking on enviously.
Maybe there's some sort of subconcious 'lane superiority' mentality at work.
Motorways and weekend drivers - eProf
Maybe there's some sort of subconcious 'lane superiority' mentality at work.

In Johannesburg, there is a tightly defined protocol on who uses which lane: if you are the driver of a smart, big Mercedes you would not associate with the smokey rabble in the slow lane; you are too grand for that so you use the middle lane. If you have a "sensible" car .and you are a "sensible" driver you use the middle lane because the fast lane is for tinted windows and loud sound systems.

However, one small Mini with an aged driver would sit quietly in the inside lane and then, as red turned to green, one well-tuned engine would shatter the silence and blast into the distance, leaving the peasnats to ponder the fate of having their pride well and truly rubbed in it.

--
e Prof
Motorways and weekend drivers - MoodyGit
Of course everyone knows the speed limits on Dual Carriageways is
60 mph :-)

About 12 years ago I had a slight mishap (in a car) on an unrestricted dual carriageway and had to make a statement at the local police station.

The dim-witted desk bod insisted that dual carriageways had a 60 limit!!

Speed was not relevant to my statement because I was only doing about 35 or 40 or so anyway, but people who should know better... quite simply, should know better!
Motorways and weekend drivers - nortones2
There is no M-way training. Unless enlightened, most learners consider they know it all after passing their test. Their lessons do not ventuer into these roads despite their greater safety than suburban haunts.. Obviously they cannot drive on M-ways until licenced fully, but here is no reason for not including a demo session or three! Not to mention more Police being assigned to actually picking up on these dopes, but that would be "unfair" on the motorist, so is not popular with certain cliques.
Yes - I find I can make faster progress by using all three lanes in certain tyoes of traffic flow, what amuses me though is the lack of forward planning people have, surely they must realise they are catching up with a slow mover before braking and putting a woeful offside indicator in the hope that someone who has already moved into the next lane will let them in ( or not - in my case)
Motorways and weekend drivers - David Horn
Alternatively, pull out into lane 3 with plenty of time to spare and hold up the BMW drivers?
Why should I hold them up with my BMW approved cloaking device !!!!
Motorways and weekend drivers - y2k+4
Only Pass Plus serves to teach new drivers how to use the motorway properly. Otherwise I imagine either they guess or a parent tells them how to do it, and thus perpetuate the ridiculous middle-lane hogging technique they themselves possibly stumbled upon.

I think it should become part of the standard test, or at least come up somewhere in theory section - yet it doesn't.
Motorways and weekend drivers - SpamCan61 {P}
This kind of driving isn't just the weekend drivers; I see it every working day, a specifc example M3 J11-12 southbound around 5:30 pm. I rattle along in lane 1 and almost always reach J12 before the 'drive up yer bum' merchants in lane 3.