Old Jag fixed by AA - richard turpin
My D reg XJ 3.6 would not start. Just a cough and then nothing. I changed the plugs. Nothing. Andrew Moorey made suggestions (many thanks) but nothing. I called the AA today. "It's flooded" he said. "What, after a week?" "Yes". He cured it by removing the petrol pump relay, getting me to churn it, and as soon as it began to fire, he plugged the relay back in and BINGO.
I admitted to having started it twice from cold just to move it a few yards as I was changing the wheels round. He said that caused it. He said it's common on small cars. He had previously tested all electrical circuits.
Last time I called the AA was an Audi 100 which conked out on the motorway. He diagnosed a faulty fuel pump relay, took the relay to bits by the side of the road and soldered a bad connection. It was a permanent repair.

I think the blokes who work for the AA are brilliant. Well worth £95 per year for me and my wife.
Re: Old Jag fixed by AA - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Thanks for letting me know what the problem was, duly noted. We (Tune-up) ocasionally come across a similar problem caused by starting and stopping the engine after a few moments' running particularly on Vectras and Omegas. This is usually caused by the hydraulic tappets "pumping up" and causing loss of compression. I recently had the same problem with a 1.8 16v BMW. Same scenario, start engine, move a few feet to get out of the garage, switch off.