Cambelt part no. wanted for tdi pd engin - alan kearn
Anyone know the part numbers for the cam belt and tensioner for the four cylinder VAG PD engines.
Just curious to see if they are the same numbers as my 1.4 TDI PD three cylinder engine.

Thanks
Cambelt part no. wanted for tdi pd engin - Collos25
Why not ask a VAG agent
Cambelt part no. wanted for tdi pd engin - 547HEW
I understand current belt part number for 115PS engine is 038 109 119 P. (Previous level was suffix N)
547HEW
Thanks for your reply, it is as I thought it might be, the same cambelt for the three and four cylinder TDI PD engines. I had mine replaced (1.4TDI PD) yesterday at the main VW dealers for anyone interested here are the part numbers and cost

038109119P tooth belt £ 38.00
045109243F roller (tensioner) £ 45.88
Labour £207.87
VAT £ 51.06
--------------
Total £342.81

PS
at least it gives me a bit more confidence in the cambelt because it must be bit overkill using the same cambelt from a four cylinder engine on a three cylinder

Cambelt part no. wanted for tdi pd engin - 659FBE
I wouldn't want to spoil the feeling of satisfaction in maintaining this engine properly - you have been very wise to have this belt and its tensioners changed before problems arise, but...

An engine with a small number of cylinders imposes a very jerky load on the timing drive as none of the torque inpulses (from the valve train - both ways, and from the unit injectors) overlap. During timing drive development, admitttedly with rotary pumps, I found that the engines with fewest cylinders were always the most critical.

I thought the balancing shaft fitted to these three cylinder engines was design to overcome the the uneven running of this type of engine.
The balance shaft simply mitigates the worst effects of the inherent imbalance of a 3 cylinder 4 stroke engine - crank, conrods and pistons. Had it been a 2 stroke, it could have been designed to be in perfect primary and secondary balance. The 3 cylinder 4 stroke is rather a triumph of development over original thought and offers no significant advantages.

The timing drive on any engine has to deal with significant torque reversals brought about by the compression (and subsequent relaxation) of the valve springs, together with the provision of drive to the diesel fuel injection equipment. The unit injector approach favoured by VW places considerable demands on the timing drive as considerable linear forces have to be generated very quickly. The relatively short belt change interval recommended by VW reflects the severity of duty which this system imposes. By way of a contrast, the latest PSA HDi engines have a recommended belt change interval of 150,000 miles (for the very brave).

An engine with more cylinders presents a more uniform load to the timing drive as the forces required to operate the valves and fuel system are arranged to overlap.

659FBE
Thanks for your excellent explanation
Cambelt part no. wanted for tdi pd engin - tr7v8
>The 3 cylinder 4 stroke is rather a triumph of development over original thought and offers no significant advantages.
The idea with a petrol is that 333cc is the ideal cylinder size hence 1 litres with 3 pots. Something about bore/stroke combustion chamber area. Hence the little Suzuki 998 & the Vauxhall ditto.
It's really all about producing a small engine on the cheap. A major cost in engine production is the transfer machining line. If you design a 3 (or a 5) cylinder engine with the same bore centres as the 4, significant cost savings in block and head production can be made.

There is certainly some significance in the relationship between cylinder sizing and efficiency and there is less friction with a 3 cylinder engine, but in my book, to design an engine which is fundamentally out of balance is poor engineering. Clever detailing with engine mounts may make this imbalance imperceptable to the occupants, but all of the on-engine anciliaries suffer needlessly high levels of first and second order vibration and tend to suffer as a result.