mower started and then stopped - coogee
iv got this old atco standard mower it started for about 5mins and then it stoped and dose not start up agine? its a handle start.
dose any one have any ideas?
mower started and then stoped - Peter D
That will be a bit vague then.!! Check for fuel. Remove plug is it wet, ?? if so it may not have a spark, connect the plug, earth it and pull, do you have a spark. ?? How old is the fuel you have got in it. Regards Peter
mower started and then stoped - Dynamic Dave
Done the obvious?

Any petrol left? Also how old is it - as petrol only has a certain shelf life before going off.

Taken the plug out, cleaned it, and then seen if there is a spark when held against the engine and turned over?
mower started and then stoped - coogee
yes iv done all that. i get a spark. new petrol. the engine starts for about 5sec and then stops?
any other ideas
mower started and then stoped - mfarrow
5 minutes or seconds?

Is there fuel getting through, i.e. is plug wet?

Our Suffolk did the same, needed new points to replace worn/oily ones.

--------------
Mike Farrow
mower started and then stoped - nortones2
I believe they are two stroke engines (Villiers?) Presume you mean petroil when you say petrol, but if it was neat petrol, you might need to give it the correct juice.
mower started and then stoped - jc2
If it's an old Villiers,the petroil will be 16/1-ie.half pint of oil to gallon of petrol.Have you been able to work out if it stops because of lack of fuel or spark?
yes it is a villiers two stroke engine. the first time i got it i had to move the points and then it started and ran for about 5mins. and the ran out of petroil and then put a bit more petroil in and the engine would only run for about 5secs.
iv just checked it and it has a great spark and it only runs for about 5secs and then stops.and yes the petroil is 16 to 1
I am going to have a good look at the mower this weekend so hopefully i will find out what is happening.
mower started and then stoped - Peter D
Crankshaft oil seal leaking i.e. low crankcase compression which is responsible for moving the petrol vapour up via the inlet port to the combustion chamber. brush some oil onto to outsaide of the seal and see if it blows bubbles then cranking. Regards Peter
thanks for all the info. i will see if i can get it started this weekend