No Red key for my ST24 - marty69
Hi Guys

Just a quick question, i have a 1997 Mondeo ST24 that only has one key ( The central Locking one ) , my question is , Does anyone know of any way to get a Red Key sorted for my Mondeo besides going to Ford and forking out a hundred quid ??
Cheers
No Red key for my ST24 - DP
I'm not sure what system you have on yours. Most of the mk2 Mondeos didn't have a red key, instead using a system that needs two "standard" keys in order to program another.

Of course, this leaves you with the same problem, but a good automotive locksmith can "clone" your current key for a modest fee.

Will check my documentation later to find out how you check which system is which. Unless anyone can help before of course :-)
No Red key for my ST24 - carl233
I have a MK2 1997 Mondeo and it has three keys. Two standard keys and one red master. Ford dealers would charge around one hours labour plus the cost of the key to help you out of this problem. I think it was later MK2 Mondeo's that had the later version of the PATS system.
No Red key for my ST24 - LeePower
The middle of R reg in 1998 was the change over point from the RED master key needed 3 key system to the just 2 slave key system.
No Red key for my ST24 - marty69
Sorry typing error, mine is a 1998 NOT a 1997 ST24, so if i'm lucky and its the 2 slave key system and there is no Red Key involved then am i right in saying that i just need to get a copy made of my Key I have and dont need to involve Ford ?
But i think mine was registered in Jan 1998 so it might be the 3 Key system, if so and I never get a Red Key what are the pro's and con's , when EXACTLY does a Red key become an issue ??
No Red key for my ST24 - LeePower
If you havent got the RED master key & your car came with that system then it can be expensive to code new keys to the car.

You could always ask a friendly Ford dealer if your car needs a RED master key, Pop in with the car & give the parts dept your VIN number.

If yours is the later system now is the time to get a 3rd key & code that ( takes less then a minut & easy DIY ) in case a key gets lost / stolen in the future.