Just bought Mazda323 - LinuxGeek
Guys I bought a used Mazda 323 from a local dealer. Its V plate 1.5 and has got 38k on the clock with Mazda dealer history stamps untill 23k miles.
I changed the radiator water the other day and I'm going to change the oil and oil filter. Is there anything else I should do to make sure it stays as reliable as they're meant to be?
I've got geniune Mazda oil filter (cost me only £6) and I'm going to get Magnatec 10w/40 oil unless there's something better you could recommend? I've checked the air filter and its fairly new even though I bought a new one from Mazda when I went to get the oil filter.
Just bought Mazda323 - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
To start with, empty radiator water out.
Refill with correct coolant mixture.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
That's what I did last week. Drained out all the water from the radiator and pipes and then filled it up with the pre-mixed coolant I bought from Mazda.
I just want to do is there anything else I'll do with it besides just changing the oil/oil filter in it?
Just bought Mazda323 - Falkirk Bairn
Check Brake Fluid for water contamination - replace if needed.

I do not know if your engine is a cambelt or chain driven.

If Belt a 7 year old should have had a change @ 4/5 yrs irrespective of mileage - my Mazda is belt and it was nearly £300 for a belt change as engine is taken out.
I read the manual and I'm pretty sure its belt. I don't think it has been changed so you think its about time I changed it even though its done only 38k miles?
I know a mechanic really well and he knows what he's doing so I just buy the parts and he does the job for me. So hopefully it won't be too costly for me when I'll change it. I reckon belt is around 30 quid or so?
How do you check the brake fluid and is it straight forward to change it? Do I've to do bleeding once its change etc..?
Just bought Mazda323 - Sprice
As its a newish car, you obviously want to look after it. Maybe, in addition to suggestions mentioned above, you should also change the fuel filter, spark plugs and check/adjust valve clearances.
Just bought Mazda323 - Aprilia
Nice little twin-cam engine on these. They have a belt and I think its a 60k change interval or thereabouts - but I would do it now based on age. About a two hour job, I would guess.

I think these Mazdas use a 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil (you could get away with 10W-40 though). Personally I would go for Shell Helix Ultra or Ford's own-brand 5W-30 (which is said to be Shell Helix - not sure how true that is).

Brake bleeding is an easy DIY job and £5 of fluid - good chance to check the discs and pads. Check drive belts too.
On the weekend I went to local Mazda dealer to buy oil/air filter and I asked them about the oil. They suggested 10W 40 so now I'm really confused whether to go for 10W 40 or 5W-30 as recommended by you? What's the difference and the pros and cons?
I'll get the cam belt changed in a month or two because I'm struggling with money at the moment! Is Shell Helix Ultra better than Castrol's Magnatec range? I looked at it and it costs around £33 which is quite expensive for 5 litre oil.
Aprilia I've read quite a few of your postings at this BR and I'm quite impressed with your in-depth knowledge about the cars and car industry.
Well, your handbook should give the Mazda recommendation, but I'm sure 5W-30 is the one. To be honest I wouldn't worry too much - 10W-40 will also do the job fine. They likely recommend the 5W-30 on account of fuel economy. I do like to go with a 5W though, because it ensures that the oil circulates quickly on a cold start - useful in winter, not such a problem right now.

Shell Helix Ultra is a top-notch synthetic. You can get it for less than £33 (that sounds like a garage forecourt price). Suitable oils would include Ford's 5W-30 or GM synthetic 5W-40 which you can get for something like £15 from a Vauxhall parts dept.

Don't fret too much though. Its not a high performance car and if you've already bought Magnatec then use it. People worry too much about engine oil and not enough about the other fluids (coolant and gearbox oil) IMHO.
Just bought Mazda323 - y2k+4
5w-30 is the type used in Ford zetec engines - I believe that the 1.5 petrol is a Mazda in-house design, so it's perfectly conceivable that it'll require 10w-40. They're pretty similar viscosity though, and the 10w-40 is the recommendation if you can't get 5w-30 for my Focus. The 1.6 in the 323 is the Ford unit.
Quite a few manfrs are now spec'ing 5W-30. Its for reasons of fuel economy rather than any specific lubrication requirement - although some Fords do need a 5W-30 because of valve-train design 'issues'.
Does 5W-30 really improve the fuel consumption or is it just a marketing hype? If it does is it quite significant because 5W-30 is slightly expensive than 10W-40 so does it save you few quid after driving the car say 6000 miles with that oil?
Sorry guys I'm an enthusiast about cars even though I work in IT so you'll get plenty of silly questions from me on this BR.
When I'm driving car over 40/50 mph car seems to pull back a bit every now and then. What could it be? Any ideas? I know its not easy to diagnose such a minor problem unless you've seen the car but I hope you guys would be able to suggest something!
Just bought Mazda323 - expat
I have had a 323 for nearly seven years now and it is a great little car. I just had the cambelt done and it cost me AU$750 (40 pence to AU$) which did seem very high but it is a big job. I haven't had any "pulling back" at any speed but it wouldn't hurt to change the plugs and leads. Sounds sort of electrical but no doubt some one better informed will be along shortly.

The only thing I don't like about my Mazda is the seats. The don't adjust enough and lack lumbar support. A cushion or backrest is the thing to use.