Pug 306 fuel smell when running - David_S
My daughter has complained that her 98 1.4 306 smells of fuel when driving and seems to need more trips to the forecourt.

I have not been able to check car yet as she is some distance away.

She has checked for signs of leaks in an around the engine bay with nothing obvious. Smell is in cabin when engine is running, mostly round town.

My thoughts are (if it is not a leak) over fueling and possible temp sensor issue. She has not noticed ay running issues as yet.

Is a temp sensor or it's wiring likely to be at fault?

Thanks

David
Pug 306 fuel smell when running - Screwloose
David

A fuel leak is too risky to leave and hope. Tell her to get it urgently checked-out by a competant garage. If there's nothing in the engine bay; the fuel tank, it's built-in sender unit and the fuel pump/lines are worth a look.

An over-fuelling engine doesn't smell of fuel. If it was that bad there should be noticable driveability symptoms.
OK thanks will get the leak possibility checked have advised her to get car to garage asap. Thinking it through the fuel system is only pressurised when the ignition and hence engine are on which could indicate a leak anywhere in the fuel suppy system.

David
Pug 306 fuel smell when running - jc2
The return line is not pressurized;it just opens into the tank.
Pug 306 fuel smell when running - Andrew-T
Is there any connection between the smell and the sunroof being open? That can sometimes cause suction from around the tank filler - though I haven't experienced it on a 306, only a Punto.
OK Car is now off road and will be looked at this weekend.

No sun roof fitted but windows would have been open in this heat
So a full visual check will be carried out starting at tank-fuel lines and into engine bay.
Hopefully there will be tell tale signs, must remember to put the fag out before poking around !

David