Renault Clio Engine Movement - Ed666
Should the engine move at all when revved?

Its the 1.6 16v K4M engine, 86k X reg

I have had a rear engine mount changed on this car a few months ago, could another be worn as well?

Cheers

Ed666
Renault Clio Engine Movement - cheddar
Wife's 40k mile 1.8 8v K7M engine always moves a fair bit when cranking though drives fine, pretty refined actually.
Renault Clio Engine Movement - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Engine mountings are flexible to allow a limited amount of movement and dampen vibration and noise.
When an engine is revved the torque reaction will cause the engine to rotate in the opposite direction.
If the movement is enough to cause banging noises or gear shift difficulties then you have a problem. Suggest all mountings are replaced as extra stress will be put on the others if one has broken up.
BTW in the 'old days' it was not unknown for someone to lift a car by putting a sling around the engine- sometimes with alarming consequences.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Renault Clio Engine Movement - Number_Cruncher
>>dampen vibration and noise.

What good will wetting it do? ;-)

You are right, however, the movement across an engine mount is vital. The engine mount really behaves like a spring, or, in a typical voided mount like a soft spring to start with and then a stiffer spring as the travel gets used up.

The vibration isolation at *most* excitation frequencies is nothing to do with damping - it's achieved entirely by the springing - a coil spring, or leaf spring of the same effective stiffness would isolate just as well.

However, in the region of any of the so called rigid body natural frequencies of the engine/gearbox (in the general, linearised, case, there are six such frequencies), the natural material damping of the rubber prevents large resonant vibrations.

Apologies for the terminological pedantry. :-)

Number_Cruncher
Renault Clio Engine Movement - Ed666
Ok it must be alright then!

I knew the old one rear mount was knackered when the gear stick moved quite substantially when you dropped off the revs!!