Smokey Citroen ZX diesel - pullgees
I've just had a look at a Citroen ZX 1.9D to buy and was dissappointed to see that the exhaust is puffing out black smoke when blipping the accelerator, it's not too dense but definitely not clean. The dealer who is selling it is going to get a year's ticket on it. However if it still smokey should I be concerned or is this something remidial that say some jet cleaner won't remedy?
Smokey ZX diesel - robcars
First thing I would want to do is look at the emissions test results if it gets a ticket.
Smokey ZX diesel - Xileno {P}
It probably wants a good clean out. Some fuel cleaner and a good hard drive. I would be more concerned if it was blue smoke.
Smokey ZX diesel - pullgees
First thing I would want to do is look at the
emissions test results if it gets a ticket.

Thanks. I expect this has been posted before but can you give me the scale for emissions tests or what figure should I be looking at on the test results that would be well within the limit?
Smokey ZX diesel - Martin1981
I would check the air filter first. If it's dirty the engine will be burning excessive fuel and hence producing more smoke. Change it, give it a dose or Redex injector cleaner and then give it a good thrash. If little or no improvement then there could be a problem with the fuel system.

Martin
I'm getting cold feet about buying this ZX. It passed the emission test alright but failed on handbrake which the dealer has fixed. Now he says that it is running too cool and won't release it until he finds the fault. I noticed the cooling fan came on okay so it can't be running that cool. Anyway he's going to check the thermostat. Is there any thing else that could cause the engine to run cool?
Smokey ZX diesel - Xileno {P}
I wonder if the temp gauge is faulty, although on a lot of PSA diesels they weren't fitted. Can't remember about the ZX.
Another thing to be checked is whether the cooling system has been drained recently. These XUD engines are not easy to bleed and I wonder if there's some trapped air in the system.
Smokey ZX diesel - landmarked
I have to say unless they manage to fix this very quickly I would walk away. XUD head gaskets and cooling systems are now known the be the most tolerant and robust of items and if you don't know the car's history it's a bit of a gamble - you could end up with big bills a just a little way down the line.

If you do decide to take it make very sure that the cooling system isn't being pressurised from cold, that there are no leaks whatsover from the heater matrix or radiator, and that the oil is in perfect condition. There should be two fan speeds - slow speed at around 90 degrees and full speed close to 100.
Well the dealer has now bled the coolant system and is going to give it a good drive round. When I pick it up I'll check the floor for damp, (done this already but I'll do it again), take the cap off the expansion tank to make sure it doesn't spout out like a geyser, (excess pressure = blown head gasket). I did forget to check in the oil filler for cream so will do that. I checked the rad for leaks already so hopefully I didn't miss any.
But is it within my consumer rights to demand refund if the head gasket is found to be blown?
Cold pressure check, how is that done?
Smokey ZX diesel - landmarked
Cold pressure check - I am no expert so I would apreciate someone with some proffessional expertise to back me up, but basically if you take the rad cap off when the engine is warm you can expect it to shoot out like a jet as the coolant will be pressurised due to temperature.

What you need to do is take the cap off first thing in the morning when it's stone cold and run it for a couple of minutes - if it starts bubbling pretty much straight away it is being pressurised by the engine. Having said that you should be able to tell an engine in this condition by the state of the coolant, unless the dealer is really trying to pull a fast one.
Smokey ZX diesel - Civic8
>>Cold pressure check, how is that done?

basically hand pump fitted instead of cap,with a pressure guage on it,once pumped to a specific pressure you wait to watch the pressure drop.

if it remains pressurised,their is not a problem,if however pressure drops, then there is a problem!
--
Steve
Smokey ZX diesel - Civic8
>>Now he says that it is running too cool

Thermostat controls engine temp,so its unlikely its running cool with fan coming on,unless fan switch is faulty or wrong one fitted
--
Steve
Thanks steve o that sounds right, I might ask the dealer to do that. But surely if the head gasket has gone the engine would not run cool but very hot. Even with air locks I would have thought the engine would run hot. I wonder if the fan is coming on below temperature. Anyway I'll have another look at it tomorrow and make a final decision.