Xsara suspension problems - Plymouth Lad
I have an Apr 2001 xsara 90hp HDi LX, at present i have a problem with drivers side front suspension/balancing? At high speed or enthusiactic (sp) driving the wheel thumps along the road (not really wobble), been to citroen garage (PC Tonkins, Cornwall) with no joy and £60 out of my pocket for 4 wheel alignment, the result was front wheels ok, but back wheels out: left rear 0.6mm (spec range 1.75 - 2.75mm) and right rear 0.1mm (same range). But they are none adjustable therefore will be like that for eva unless new parts fitted. Cant understand how this could happen? They said could be due to parking bumps on curb? Possible? Still thumps along road! There was a recall for fornt suspension pivots, wot were the symptons of this? Same problem again?

Any similar problems anybody? Any replys please
Re: Xsara suspension problems - David M
AFAIR Xsara rear suspension is carried over from the ZX which featured passive rear-wheel steer. Doesn't seem to fit with what you're describing, but can't image that the out-of-true setup would help, exactly. If Plymouth's roads are as bad as those the other side of the Bristol Channel then maybe you could be suffering from the after-effects of "passive pothole rear-steer".

Did the garage specify which parts would need replacing? btw, how fast is "fast" and how enthusiastic is "enthusiastic"?

I would also keep an eye out for damage to front tyres from the same cause - I started to get vibration at speed which quickly became worse and obviously linked to wheel revolution.

Discovered an ominous bulge on the tread of the tyre, which was replaced immediately - a section of tread was standing proud of the tyre and looked set to blow-out if ignored (not that I could sensibly ignore it - ruddy great jerk of the steering wheel on every wheel revolution).

David
Re: Xsara suspension problems - Plymouth Lad
AFAIR Xsara rear suspension is carried over from the ZX which featured passive rear-wheel steer. Doesn't seem to fit with what you're describing, but can't image that the out-of-true setup would help, exactly. If Plymouth's roads are as bad as those the other side of the Bristol Channel then maybe you could be suffering from the after-effects of "passive pothole rear-steer".

*i did mention that if potholes could do this*

Did the garage specify which parts would need replacing? btw, how fast is "fast" and how enthusiastic is "enthusiastic"?

*speed 75-90mph, quite enthusiatic, ie late for appointment overtaking stuff, knocking much worse then!*

I would also keep an eye out for damage to front tyres from the same cause - I started to get vibration at speed which quickly became worse and obviously linked to wheel revolution.

* well changed to spare to see if it was balance or bulge/flat spot a before taking to garage so i didn't look a complete fool!*

Discovered an ominous bulge on the tread of the tyre, which was replaced immediately - a section of tread was standing proud of the tyre and looked set to blow-out if ignored (not that I could sensibly ignore it - ruddy great jerk of the steering wheel on every wheel revolution).
Re: Xsara suspension problems - Carl 2
Have you had the wheels balanced on the car. If not the problems could be with driveshafts, disc, hub, etc being out of balance. I have cured such problems in the past by fitting jubilee clips to the drive shaft, although I did
have the luxury of strobescopic balancing gear. You could try fitting a clip to the drive shaft to see if this alters the characteristics. When I used to work for a main dealer I was always supprised to find that although distances between front and back wheels were always out it did not seem to have any noticeable
effect when driving.